I hate Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
My iPod broke like 2 Month ago. Why? Because the lcd-screen just broke. Yup. So I went to the store where I bought it and they said I have no warranty left. So what? "We can send it to Apple and they check it. But that will cost you 30€ for the estimate of costs."

Okay. Let's do it. 3 Weeks later I receive a letter from Apple "Sorry we're not able to repair your iPod but you can have a new one for 200€ or get you broken one back. We still keep the 30€."

I thought: It's just the fucking screen. it's still playing music. why can't they change it and put a new one in. so I got myself a new screen for my iPod for 15 € from ebay. Arrived today. Took me 10 minutes to replace the old one. Everything works fine.

Fuck Apple.

I think for the most part Apple are all good. However for iPods, they are fucking useless. I have been through (no shit) 9 iPods now, all iPod classics, and they all keep fucking out. Usually hardware faults with the HD - apparently this is no longer an issue with nanos, touches and iphones with them being SSD..

Since I know how to break that fucking thing open I can repair it by myself if the HD is going to die. It's just a shame they try to sell me an old iPod (it's g5 30gb) for the price of a iPod Touch.

Apple are the ducks nuts! 1 problem ever, solved within 48 hours. I think we expect to much from them. I could understand if they brought out the "indestructable ipod", but like everything else in life, it doesnt last forever. As for the 30 euro, I would of rang first asking exactly what they could and couldnt do, then made a decision and inform them of my intentions and at what cost it would be to me, just like any other product that needs fixing.

Apple bashing is common place on forums and I personally dont see the point in it! They make the best products of their kind anywhere in the world, some will fail, yes. the channel you went through was correct, they advised you it would be a "check" and told you the amount. Just like Lassie has been put in charge for keeping trolls and leeches to a minimum, Apple have to go about their business in this way as to keep every Tom Dick and Harry from trying to get a new, or a fix for free. They must deal with 100s a week of, "It just broke" claims. Yes, some, like yours would be legitamate breaks, but at the end of the day, they dont know that, thats why a warranty is in place, and should be read before purchase.

IMO, PCs are the worst for breaking down and not performing to their requirements, but how many "I hate PCs" threads are there?

Apple make great products, will continue to do so. Reading "I hate Apple" doesnt help anyone, especially when they have done nothing wrong! "Wow, 30 euro for an ipod check" would have been much more like it.

I was not trying to help anyone. I still think this way of trying to make money from your customers is bad. They said it's NOT POSSIBLE to repair it. WTF? I would have paid 100€ or whatever but trying to make me buy a new iPod while the old one just needs a new screen (FOR A FEW BUCKS)...

And what you said about the 30€ and asking what's possible... it's not working like that in germany. You go to the store. Give them the broken device. If you choose NOT to pay the 30€ they wil send it to apple and they do whatever they have to do to repair it and send you a bill (200€ in my case - for a new device!).

If you're going to pay the 30€ they will tell you how much it will cost to fix it BEFORE they do it. You still have the option to say: No thanks. You're a bunch of idiots because you say you can't do it and I'm doing it myself now. Thanks. Keep the 30€. This is just in case you have no warranty left.

And saying they make the best products is simply NOT true. They have some of the best products and they definately have a lot of influence on the market but I wouldn't get a Mac or an iPhone because I have simply NO use for them. For me - it's not the best. Just my honest opinion.

I personally can't wait until my Ipod warranty expires.

Then I can pop it open and start tinkering like I did with my creative.

As for Macs, we have dual booters at uni. The next time someone says to me "I like Macs cos they don't crash" I'm going to headbutt their fucking face in.

If its the glass casing I don't think there's much YOU can do. But if its the actual LCD, you can replace it yourself. There are vids on youtube.

I recently replaced my iPod's battery myself (1 hour lifespan before, now.. well it hasn't run out since) for about $15. Apple charges around $100 for the same service.

My iPod broke like 2 Month ago. Why? Because the lcd-screen just broke. Yup. So I went to the store where I bought it and they said I have no warranty left. So what? "We can send it to Apple and they check it. But that will cost you 30€ for the estimate of costs."

Okay. Let's do it. 3 Weeks later I receive a letter from Apple "Sorry we're not able to repair your iPod but you can have a new one for 200€ or get you broken one back. We still keep the 30€."

I thought: It's just the fucking screen. it's still playing music. why can't they change it and put a new one in. so I got myself a new screen for my iPod for 15 € from ebay. Arrived today. Took me 10 minutes to replace the old one. Everything works fine.

Fuck Apple.

Okay, Apple shouldn't have said they couldn't fix it, but which option would make them more money in the long run, fixing it, or getting you to buy a new one? You get this everywhere in life, it's not like Apple have raped your dog or anything! Get over it.
Plus, in future - pay the extra money for an Apple-care protection plan.
The only issue I've had with an Apple product was when my hard-drive failed (Macbook) - I had a new one within 24hrs.
Opinions are like arseholes - everyone's got one!

I'm just pissed about their attitude. They could get a 100€ out of me for 15 minutes of work. I wouldn't care. I just care about the fact they lie to me and say it's not possible to repair it. And I can say something like that never happened to me. And I broke a lot things.

I don't say all apple products suck. so please don't get that wrong and maybe I was just in bad luck and usually their customer service is fine. when I still had my warranty my iPods HD broke. I had a new iPod in 2 weeks. Still a long time ;)

I'm just pissed about their attitude. They could get a 100€ out of me for 15 minutes of work. I wouldn't care. I just care about the fact they lie to me and say it's not possible to repair it. And I can say something like that never happened to me. And I broke a lot things.

I don't say all apple products suck. so please don't get that wrong and maybe I was just in bad luck and usually their customer service is fine. when I still had my warranty my iPods HD broke. I had a new iPod in 2 weeks. Still a long time ;)

Understandable, it's just that for every person you hear moaning about poor customer service etc. there's gotta be a hell of a lot more that received exceptional service.

Dude, the 30€ fee is to assess what is wrong. Those technicians get paid for that whether you get it repaired or not - it's not free. Honestly bitching about an assessment fee is pointless. Tons of companies do that. Even the one I work for charges $35 just to assess a problem and I have never had a customer complain about that whether they decided to get their device repaired or not.

I have a G2 iPod (first ones that had the wheel) and it's still running like the day I got it. Battery retains a full charge and everything. I also have a G1 iPod Video that I have also not had a single problem with - it was my sister's before that and she can break any electronic device :) She had it for at least a year before she bought an iPod Touch which has been dropped a zillion times on the street and tiled kitchen floors :lol: It has some dings/scratches but works perfectly fine. As far as I'm concerned, iPods are pretty reliable, in my experience that is, and I will continue to buy them. In fact I'm anxious to get an iPod Touch soon, meanwhile my old as fuck G2 and Video will still work perfectly fine.

Sorry about your iPod, not trying to get on your case I just thought there was no reason to complain about the assessment fee mainly.

Dude, the 30€ fee is to assess what is wrong. Those technicians get paid for that whether you get it repaired or not - it's not free. Honestly bitching about an assessment fee is pointless. Tons of companies do that. Even the one I work for charges $35 just to assess a problem and I have never had a customer complain about that whether they decided to get their device repaired or not.

I have a G2 iPod (first ones that had the wheel) and it's still running like the day I got it. Battery retains a full charge and everything. I also have a G1 iPod Video that I have also not had a single problem with - it was my sister's before that and she can break any electronic device :) She had it for at least a year before she bought an iPod Touch which has been dropped a zillion times on the street and tiled kitchen floors :lol: It has some dings/scratches but works perfectly fine. As far as I'm concerned, iPods are pretty reliable, in my experience that is, and I will continue to buy them. In fact I'm anxious to get an iPod Touch soon, meanwhile my old as fuck G2 and Video will still work perfectly fine.

Sorry about your iPod, not trying to get on your case I just thought there was no reason to complain about the assessment fee mainly.

I do agree however that after paying said fee, their 'assessment' was pretty poor!

My 5th Generation 30gb iPod video is still working just fine. The battery life's dying pretty quickly though.
Mine's still in the warranty, so I'm sure it'll "break" soon, so I can get something a little newer. :saint:

Status
Not open for further replies.