New apple shit.

Yeah the 1000 is.
The 2000 is as skinny as a psp lite.
The 3000 is a little bulkier, but for good reason. My hand cramps on the 2000 I own.

So IMO, the bulkyness is a good thing on your hands.

It fits your hands, but IMO it's not too portable. Even if it's slim, it's still pretty much too big to bother playing while you're not on a 2 hour trip to somewhere. :zombie:

MGS Portable Ops/Peace Walker, FFVII Crisis Core, GoW Chains of Olympus, Daxter, GTA Chinatown Wars, Ace Combat X, etc. etc. ;) And all of those would suck if you had to play them with only a touch screen as the UI

I must admit that I haven't played any of those :( Still, I think hacking your PSP is where it's at!

ftr, i've never considered myself as a "great' guitarist...

no offense James but thats cause you are an idiot ...lol There are a shit ton of people here who do consider you as GREAT guitarist, cause you are. My fave testament shit is the shit you were on, fave Death this is the stuff you were on. So blow it out your ass.

and about this entire thread .... I have always been a PC guy, but we really need to get over this "Mac Sucks / PC Sucks" shit. We all have our preferences and if someone is comfortable on a Mac vs a PC and vice versa, just be happy they found something they are comfortable with. Yea I was a big antagonist of the FUCK MAC movement here in the forum but I realize its immature and dumb.

Lets all just get along and leave out the personal attacks.

Well then again feel free to attack that James Murphy guy cause hes a dick :p

The new iPod touch is damn sweet, but there's no way it can compete with the PSP or NDS for any serious games, unless an attachment with physical buttons is released (and widely supported) - tactile feedback in the form of physical buttons is essential IMO, unless of course the games can largely be controlled by tilting motions and/or reaction time isn't crucial. With a sort of clip-on controller attachment though, it would indeed dominate!

the graphics are definitely starting to compete

Last edited by a moderator:
That project sword game looks almost too good to be true... Fuck technology is evolving fast. That was what the full-sized COMPUTERS were able to do just a while ago!

But I hope that's just some beta demo to show off graphics. It wouldn't last long if the game was about "look at that shit man it's gorgeous and walk over these arrows to progress in the actual game itself". It needs characters!

And perhaps something to help control the game unless those controls REALLY work...

edit. oh I get it now. The arrows are where the player is directing his character...

Only complaint about Apple is locking their OS to their hardware. Get along great with their engineers though, nice people. But even their own people think Jobs is a cockbite.
There's an internal story they tell about Jobs getting on an elevator with someone in the building. He asks the guy what he's done for Apple in the last week. The guy responds, "Well, I bought and iPod." Jobs is furious, says "That's it? That's all you've done? You're fired." The guy responds, "I work for one of the hardware vendors you use."
Baddum-bum.

That project sword game looks almost too good to be true... Fuck technology is evolving fast. That was what the full-sized COMPUTERS were able to do just a while ago!

But I hope that's just some beta demo to show off graphics. It wouldn't last long if the game was about "look at that shit man it's gorgeous and walk over these arrows to progress in the actual game itself". It needs characters!

And perhaps something to help control the game unless those controls REALLY work...

edit. oh I get it now. The arrows are where the player is directing his character...

that video is just a beta.. if you have an iPhone 4 you can actually download the demo and try it out, the app is called "epic citadel" in the app store. nothing too exciting, you can just walk around and explore the world, but really cool to check out none the less.

About the Ipod touch as a gaming console, I think they made that statement backed by the fact that Ipod touch has sold more than DS and PSP together this year (or last year? don't remember, I read it somewhere), but I wouldn't really think people buy it for the gaming factor, if Iphone didn't exist I would buy it for it's Ipod features, and that's why I bought the Iphone in the first place, I had no idea what it had when I bought my 3g in 2008, I just wanted a phone that had an Ipod

Yes, they completely neglect motivation when they claim it's the "nr. 1 portable gaming device". It's the typical marketing mumbojumbo: You take a favouring statistic and spin your facts and claims accordingly.

It's like saying that the BlackBerry OS is the most popular gaming platform on mobile phones... completely deprived of context.

I'm with Marcus on the whole issue of portable gaming: The touch and tilt controls work great for many casual games that are tailored towards these peripherals, but the missing tactile feedback and the simple fact that your fingers always get in your sight heavily deprive the experience for more comprehensive games.

Rumor has it that Sony's developing an PSP-like Android 3.0 based phone, merging the best of both worlds so to say. An interesting approach IMO.

-----

Concerning the whole Jobs discussion: I don't like him, you don't like him... probably his own cat hates him. BUT: I also have lots of respect for his salesman qualities. Because that's what he is, a gifted salesman. People say he's got a great sense for coming trends, well I rather think he's gifted at creating trends because he always follows his agenda with iron perfectionism.

Remember when the original iPod came out? That thing got mixed reviews at best, tech journalists were d'accord that this thing surely looks nice but is overall not worth shelling out $400 for most people.

And we all know how that went... Everyone wanted an iPod even though comparable media players did exist for way less money. Jobs never ever created something tangible in his life, he pairs his vision with the developments of assorted talented people (starting with Wozniak) and he creates (the illusion of) added value to these products. Jobs doesn't sell media players, phones and computers. He sells lifestyle objects. And that's why Joe Shmoe, who isn't a prosaic tech journalist, went crazy about the iPod: Jobs successfully created that illusion that you're not only buying a profane media player, but rather a trend object that will actively and instantly raise your life's quality. Don't miss out...

That message is so persistent and pervasive that it doesn't simply amplify sales numbers, it also created an extreme loyalty of the customer base towards that company. And I'm not necessarily saying that people are being fooled nor that the products are lacklustre at the core, after all, people are very content with their products - and that's what matters for them. The price/value relation is very subjective after all.

Jobs IS an asshole. This is the guy who fobbed his partner, Wozniak, off with $350 for the creation of "Breakout", even though Jobs received $5000 from Atari for the game and Wozniak did ALL the programming.

But it's also the guy who enabled Woz to become a stupidly rich mofo. The characteristics that make for a good businessman aren't exactly the ones that'll make for a very likeable person. I'm pretty sure, Apple shareholders couldn't care less...

James, whether that claim is based on hardware units sold or on game downloads is ultimately completely irrelevant as both still neglect the buyer's primary incentive for acquiring the device. What does that download number really say? There are shit-tons of free and very low cost games in the app store available, but not so much in the same vein for dedicated mobile gaming devices like the PSP or NDS.

The number says, that game downloads are very popular on the iPod. And it's quite possibly part of what makes the iPod attractive. But it doesn't say anything about the time people actually spend using these games and, more importantly, the revenue generated from these games.

Edit: This is the actual quote:

The iPod Touch outsells Nintendo and Sony portable game players combined. It has over 50 percent market share for both the U.S. and worldwide. It has by far become the most popular game player in the world. And over 1.5 billion games and entertainment downloads have been downloaded from iTunes just to the iPod Touch.

So Jobs refers to BOTH, hardware units sold and downloads, when he makes that claim.

Devices sold with iOS up to date: about 120 million worldwide.

Nintendo DS (family) units sold: 130 million.

Sony PSP units sold: 60 million.

So much for neglecting facts...

Slash, what you are failing to realize is that ALL manufacturers do this no matter what kind of device / item it is. Shoes, Cellphones, PC, MAC, Console, Hand held.... This is how they ALL do it. Is it false advertising? Yup, are the numbers inflated, probably. But its a way for manufacturers to prove to the unknowing consumer that their device is better then the one next to it on the shelf.

Uhm Jason, I actually acknowledge this as "typical marketing mumbojumbo" in the very first paragraph of my lengthy post. ;) I'm a media scientist, I have my fair share of experience in the marketing, advertisement and PR world myself. It's just an analysis of methods, not a qualitative judgement.

Yup, missed that post I guess.

Either was doesn't really make it right or wrong, it just is what it is. For either side (pro mac / anti mac) to use marketing mumbo-jumbo as a foundation for any type of intelligent debate is silly. If thats the case its best just to compare who has a better and more effective marketing plan? Apple for sure has a brilliant marketing team, and its putting them closer to the lead in physical products sold every day. Like the argument as to which is bigger, Android or iPhone. Its an unfair comparison cause you have 70+ devices running Android and 3 devices running some form on iOS (I am assuming the iPod Touch is iOS, but I am not positive).

We all really need to put this Mac vs PC thing to bed. Apple themselves really put the gun to our heads on this and made our way of thinking the way it is with their PC vs MAC commercials, which is one of the most brilliant pieces of marketing ever imho, but there are many things Mac does really well, and there are certain things PC does really well. If we could get a hybrid of the 2 if would be great! Slowly Mac is moving in that direction. They are really attempting to bridge that gap. That alone may put them in "units sold" #1 spot in the next few years.

Keep in mind this is all coming from a guy who is VERY Anti-Mac

Remember when the original iPod came out? That thing got mixed reviews at best, tech journalists were d'accord that this thing surely looks nice but is overall not worth shelling out $400 for most people.

And we all know how that went... Everyone wanted an iPod even though comparable media players did exist for way less money. Jobs never ever created something tangible in his life, he pairs his vision with the developments of assorted talented people (starting with Wozniak) and he creates (the illusion of) added value to these products. Jobs doesn't sell media players, phones and computers. He sells lifestyle objects. And that's why Joe Shmoe, who isn't a prosaic tech journalist, went crazy about the iPod: Jobs successfully created that illusion that you're not only buying a profane media player, but rather a trend object that will actively and instantly raise your life's quality. Don't miss out...

That message is so persistent and pervasive that it doesn't simply amplify sales numbers, it also created an extreme loyalty of the customer base towards that company. And I'm not necessarily saying that people are being fooled nor that the products are lacklustre at the core, after all, people are very content with their products - and that's what matters for them. The price/value relation is very subjective after all.

Very well put, and I completely agree - as an employee at a Radio Shack located in a pretty wealthy part of Westchester county NY, you wouldn't believe the amount of sickening Apple-use smugness I encounter among our 30-50 year old clientele (in other words, tech-noobs who, as you say, want to be perceived as all tech savvy)

Of course, it should be mentioned that I'm typing this on my iPhone (while on lunch break at the store, no less :lol: ), so I fucking love apple products and think they're some of the best made and designed out there - but every time I see one of their ads or walk into an apple store I want to puke, and I'd say this is worth a repost :D