Appreciation Thread - Doomsday for the Deceiver

Vicious Robbie

Faithful Neon Dreamer
Getting back to the appreciation threads I was listening to this record a couple of days ago. It's one my favorite debuts of all time for me and it made me a fan of the band since then. Lots of talk about this record revolves around Jason's influence and yes, his songwriting is present on most of the songs and shows his skill. Yet, let's not forget the duo of Gilbert and Carlson on guitars, more than apt to carry out his musical ideas. Drummer Kelly David-Smith is great on this one and if you can get your hands on the remastered version, please do so. It is the way this record is supposed to be heard. Eric A.K. has a clean and distinctive voice that I originally thought did not go well with the band. I should have been shot on the spot as he is a great vocalist and provides the band with a distinctive sound.

It's a solid record from beginning to end with perhaps "Fade to Black" as the weakest track when compared to the rest. Opener "Hammerhead" sets the pace nicely and the record just keeps on rocking from then on. The title track is a wonderful epic, one of my favorites of all time. Back in 1986 when I picked this vynil I had not heard one single track from the band. I'm glad I did. For all of you old schoolers (and new) this is a record that not only brings back great memories but also reminds us of the wonderful music this quintet from Arizona provided us at that time.:)

DOOMSDAY!!!!:kickass:

doomsday.jpg

This is one of my fave records of all time. I never got huge into thrash, but Doomsday is still in regular rotation on my playlist even today. I also bought the remastered version a couple years ago. Normally not a dedicated fan of remasters, but this one really put some BALLS into the production.

Also, on a "brush with greatness" note, Micheal Gilbert and Kelly David-Smith used to come into the 7-11 where I worked in Chandler, AZ and I got to chat with them quite a bit. One time they were buying supplies for a day fishing trip, and asked if I could come, but, alas, I was only beginning my shift at work and couldn't take advantage of an opportunity that I regret to this day. Cool guys they were, especially Micheal.

DOOMSDAY!

I'm not a fan of FAJ. I have their two first albums and I listen to them ocasionally, never got that feeling from them like I get from some other bands. But undoubtedly a classic thrash album :headbang:

Hey Ryan, it takes this to take you out of hiding? :saint:

Yeah, haha, seriously TSO. It's probably been since before the summer!

Like TSO said, this is an all time great for me. It definitely brings me back when I hear it and evokes many great memories. I just remember listening to this, then Reign in Blood, then this, then Reign in Blood, etc., during the 2nd half of '86. I remember wishing Metallica found a different bass player when Cliff died....

Metalshock is epic.

Also, on a "brush with greatness" note, Micheal Gilbert and Kelly David-Smith used to come into the 7-11 where I worked in Chandler, AZ and I got to chat with them quite a bit. One time they were buying supplies for a day fishing trip, and asked if I could come, but, alas, I was only beginning my shift at work and couldn't take advantage of an opportunity that I regret to this day. Cool guys they were, especially Micheal.

That's a great story, Brian. Cool!!:headbang:

Platinum Maze said:
Metalshock is epic.

+1 :worship:

Great album. Flotsam and Jetsam are such an underrated band. They sorta lost the plot in the late 90’s but the newest albums DREAMS OF DEATH was a step in the right direction. I can’t wait to hear their new album THE COLD due out this year.

Oh yeah Eric A.K. is one of the best metal singers ever

Fantastic record!

To this day, I still dont see why most metal fans dont include it in a "top 10" of all time thrash/speed albums. It's that good. As others have said, the lyrics were a bit...weak, but the same can be said of most thrash bands, really.

Eric AK is among the all-time GREAT metal vocalists, IMO. His voice is a pleasure to hear.

Most of Flot's output is strong.....their last album "Dreams of Death", is fantastic and not to be overlooked.

I dig it too, but prefer No Place For Disgrace. Flotsam was my first thrash show. I lived in Tucson at the time...and they are from Phoenix. It was right after Jason left, and right before No Place...came out.