Appreciation thread - Crue's Shout at the Devil

Vicious Robbie

Faithful Neon Dreamer
I was listening to this album at work today and it brought me a lot of great rocking memories from the 80's! It is still one of my all time favorites and my first MC album (and my first casette, remember those things?:lol:). Most people like to call it a breakthrough album comercially speaking but I feel that the band had a "musical" breakthrough with this record. Heavier, faster, darker and yet catchy to the bone, this one made them find their sound and the band never looked back. Everyone remembers the singles from this one but it also had great gems like the speedy Red Hot, Knock 'em Dead Kid and the criminally underrated Danger. I haven't liked any records from them after Dr. Feelgood but this one will always have a place in this rocker's heart :kickass:

Danger..you're in danger and this is the town, this is Hollywood :headbang:

I think this was probably their best album front to back. (Too Fast For Love and Dr. Feelgood were both good too). It gets top marks in my book if for no other reason than Red Hot. Though there were a lot of great tunes on it. Should, Looks that Kill, Too Young, etc.

Could easily be categorized as their best. IMO they are the total package on this album, I certainly can't fault it. Looks that kill for the win!

"Shout" was also among my first three of four hard rock/metal purchases back in 1983-1984.

To this say, I love this record! it's really stood the test of time & has aged remarkably well.

In addition to the classics you mentioned, let's not forget "Bastard", "Knock En Dead" and what is arguably one of THE GREATEST COVERS of all time: the Beatles' "Helter Skelter" (Crue shames both U2 and Aerosmith who also covered this track).

Great record....along with their debut.

There only good album imo... though i think Too Fast for Love and Theatre of Pain were ok... I always thought they should of stuck to the Shout at the Devil sound... i played the shit out of this album when i first got it... after that album they bored me...

A fun nostalgic listen like Stay Hungry, Out of the Cellar, Metal Health & Pyromania. But probably with TFFL, their only brilliant releases with Vince. Sadly, the Corabi record was just a one off. 15 years on I still spin and enjoy it.

Yep. Great album. TFFL is great too. ToP is decent but I was bored too after that, except for a handful of songs.

I remember my girlfriend at the time buying me the cassette for Christmas '83 (My parents bought me Lick it Up). Danger has long been my favorite on it. 10 sec, Red Hot, and KemDK are classic. Love it. One of those albums I can play in my brain without actually having to listen to it.

Crues-SATD

Honestly, not the biggest Crue fan and it has been a while since I have listened to this CD...but can say, that as a youngster, I played more air guitar to this record than any other. Seriously, with tennis racket in hand, jumpin on my bed & rock'n out (like many of us have):lol:!...was also a reason that led me to getting a real guitar and learning every song, note for note. Ten Seconds To Love was the ultimate play along song! SATD is a must have for all rock / metal-heads! PERIOD!

Crues-SATDTen Seconds To Love was the ultimate play along song! SATD is a must have for all rock / metal-heads! PERIOD!

Ten Seconds To Love was the theme song to a kid in my class when we were 13...He was making out with his girl and things got hot and heavy and he made his move...but before he could slip it in he jizzed all over himself and her. It was fucking great, man.

Always been a big Crue fan. I loved SatD but mus confess, my all time fave Crue album has always been GGG. Awesome riffs. But besides that, Red Hot is probably my most fave Crue track.

Ten Seconds To Love was the theme song to a kid in my class when we were 13...He was making out with his girl and things got hot and heavy and he made his move...but before he could slip it in he jizzed all over himself and her. It was fucking great, man.

:yuk:...:lol:!

Love the album but I love Too Fast For Love and MC '94 more.
That said some of the standouts on Shout are the title track, Bastard and Knock 'Em Dead....

agree 100 percent. too fast for love has a raw punky edge and the self titled corabi album is imo their best but i'd say shout is in a solid 3rd place for the crue. too bad they got vince back instead of sticking with corabi. generation swine would have killed with john on vocals and there would for sure be a few different tunes on there than whats there now. afraid, glitter, find myself, a rat like me and the title track are all winners