Approaching final master, my latest and greatest, FINAL NITPICKS PLZ!

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
http://www.atomicballroomcalamity.com/caulfield/duskwood2.mp3

plain slow 'n low deathcore.

reamps by ryan/catharsis.

lots of fun with new toys here, first go with the SM7B > m-audio DMP3, and my first time gridding every single transient in PT (drums and guitar DI's) with a combo of BD / EA.

the vocal editing is sloppy and incomplete.

kick is kick10 eq'd a tad, snare is superior with a bit of snare11 z3 blended in. superior toms, and a few superior cymbals sprinkled about where necessary. overheads are a spaced pair of c1000's. i tracked a mono room mic but ended up scrapping it.

bass was unusually simple, guitar > 002 inst in > ABG BIG. one track. gloriously simple and functional plugin. <3 ABG and their free-ness.

the 2bus, after TONS of experimenting (and posting that $100 for masters thread) i just ended up putting nothing but voxengo elephant and leaving it at that.

wuddaya think guize, should i recommend these kids pursue a third party master? thoughts on anything else? levels all good? this ones been doing pretty well in the car-test as far as spread/fatigue/loudness, i think i may stick a fork in it soon.

but as always, never without the trusted pointers of my fellow sneapsters.

I think it's quite good overall, something about the guitars, they grind the ears a little, I'm not sure where to pick it, bit too gritty, not enough body :S

I like how the vocals sit, a lot actually :p, Snare sounds good, sharp and snappy, but, when everything is going, it's just really clunky in the background it seems, not sure what it needs to get sounding the way i'd expect, but something about it, sorry I couldn't be of any better help!

Overall, i like this mix though man!

toms are too wide man. Snare could do with a little air - try just a hi-shelf boost. The music is pure :puke: to my ears but you've done a good job bro!

I would choose a ringier snare sample from Slate.. it sounds like 2 separate snares instead of one huge one.

And yeah there's quite a few editing problems. Click at the beginning, and the vocals at the start sound really choppy.

great stuff guys.

biggest lesson learned here was to make the vocalist do more than one letter at a time, which is clearly apparent now.

that click isn't an editing mis-hap, it was a strange loud pop in the left overhead. i'll just crossfade over it.

Hey Julian, sounds good dude, though I feel the vocals are a bit loud and just a bit too middy around 400 Hz or so, feels a little overbearing on everything else (focus should be shifted up a bit in the spectrum IMO). Also, the guitars are a bit indistinct, a relatively narrow .5-1 dB (~.5 oct) boost at around 4k would do wonders IMO (and they could come up a bit). Oh, and the ringing on the snare mostly disappears in the mix, but any taming you could do on that would hep (I'm guessing it's the NirZ snare, I've been slaving myself trying to tame the ring on that recently). Overall, a solid mix man! :headbang:

pure gold, marcus. nirZ is correctamundo my good man. ryan suggested tweaking superiors' envelope curve to put a faster decay on the snare tail, one of those features i've looked at a thousand times and never thought to actually use. and yeah, re-listening in my office the vox are definitely a bit too up front. i'll try a low-mid cut in the vox bus, good call there. and a presence boost on the snare. i'm still on the fence about blending in snare11. you guize all rule :headbang:

edit: and as for the vibe on the geets, i think the a# tuning and my crappy DI's are hurting me there. listen to the stuff that ain't down on the open low string about half-way through, the "for the fallen dreams"-esque chorusey part and the guitar suddenly comes to life and slices through the mix with gooey harmonic goodness. hrmph. i told them to just do B. mo'well

love your work as alwayz d00d. nice to hear more vibey deathcore production.

and yes, they should pursue a third party master with me so i can make some money ;)