apTrigga / Kick trigger problems.

-Noodles-

3 Initals Mixer
Dec 20, 2007
I've been recently working with a drummer who does a lot of intricate kick patterns, but the recording of it wasn't good. Really not good.

So, when I got asked to mix it - due to the time limit, and equipment, I couldn't trigger it... however, I'm wanting to go back to it - and after reading the FAQ on triggering, got a demo copy of apTrigga to try it out.

I've got it over the track (gate before apTrigga) but apTrigga isn't picking up a lot of the kicks because they're so fast (seemingly).

Anyone got tips on using apTrigga with really fast, complicated patterns?
[I can upload the kick file if anyone wants it]

Thanks in advance.

on fast patterns lower the hold time and adjust the trigger threshold untill it works any ways there is not that many nobs just mess with every thing until it works only takes a few minites to figure it all out by trial an error i to do not like reading manuals:lol:

i've tried fiddling about with it, but the pattern it's having trouble with is similar to one in Ruin (I think)... da-da-da-dadadada-da-da-da etc. (if that makes sense!)
I'll keep having a crack at it though, thanks!

It's annoying, but sometimes I just go in and cut the tail off of the kick hits manually if I can't automate the settings to get what I want (just in the troublesome places). That usually cleans up the track enough for aptrigga to see what's happening.

I had problems like this with aptrigga and I found I had to adjust things for ages to get things right and even then I wasn't completely happy. With drumagog, I spend A LOT less time on stuff like that. I'd recommend trying the demo of drumagog, although the demo doesn't really do the plugin justice....

The price at the moment really puts me off Drumagog - since I'm pretty new to the whole "trigger" thing.. I usually just record kicks how i want them.

I'll definitely give drumagog a good look though.
Did you find it was a little less "complicated" to get things to trigger properly?

I bet it would take me like two seconds to set up apTrigga for that, lol. I've come across that before, especially with some of the bands I've worked with being really kick-drum dominant. Just have to tweak the hold time...that's all really.

~006

I had it originally a little higher than 35, so I think I went too low (sub 30s) and too high (40s) .. but not the right area.

I'm just about to get stuck in with this, thanks again.

006 - Yeah, "simple" stuff like this is for most people these days easy, I just have learned things by getting it right at the source - But i figured I'd see what all the talk about triggering is about! :)

Lately what I've been doing is manually copying & pasting samples directly onto the track. Especially for stuff like snare tracks where the hit consistancy makes triggering a pain. Then you can run drumagog on top with "random samples" enabled to reduce the machine gun effect.

It's annoying, but sometimes I just go in and cut the tail off of the kick hits manually if I can't automate the settings to get what I want (just in the troublesome places). That usually cleans up the track enough for aptrigga to see what's happening.

This is very good advice and is a method that I've used myself as well...

However, while printing a new track of sampled kicks, it hasn't been uncommon for me to have to stop playback and adjust threshold settings that are good only for little specific sections or for certain beats. Especially with a kick-intensive song like the one you're working on, it's a fairly normal part of the work involved. I don't have any experience with Drumagog, but as for apTrigga itself- you will probably find that it can do everything you want a drum replacement plug-in to do.

thanks guys for all the help.

I used some of the advice last night, and I've only got a few samples to work with ... but it worked pretty well.

So, now just to get a bunch of awesome kicks!! :)

I got a question concerning kick triggering.
I recorded a metal band, those guys are young but I think they'll go somewhere if they pratice.
Anyway, the drum was recorded as good as the drummer could do them but it still isn't good enough for me.
The kick was not played well enough to do something tight like they want it to be.
So I got lots of editing to do.
What I decided to do is to trigger the kick with drummagog and output a midi signal from it, then record the midi part in a midi track.
Then I can edit the midi part easily and use a sample from the original drum to make him sound like a pro.

I'm wondering though, do you guys use different velocity for the kick to make it sound more natural or do you prefer a single velocity and make it sound like a machine gun?
Also, I realise that it will probably take me up to 25 hours of editing only, I told them I'd mix it for free, but 25 more hours to edit is a lot of tim that I don't really have so....I charged them (friendly price) 100$ per session for the recording (8 hours per session), should I charge them for the editing, if yes how much?
I don't want them to get pissed but I don't wanna work that much time for free neither...

thanks a lot for the help.

Another way to seriously help with triggering is to throw a transient designer plugin in front of apTrigga and bring the sustain down all the way and crank the attack. Reaper comes with a bunch of free ones and DFP Dominion works great too. The Stillwell one is fantastic as well.

I'm wondering though, do you guys use different velocity for the kick to make it sound more natural or do you prefer a single velocity and make it sound like a machine gun?
Also, I realise that it will probably take me up to 25 hours of editing only, I told them I'd mix it for free, but 25 more hours to edit is a lot of tim that I don't really have so....I charged them (friendly price) 100$ per session for the recording (8 hours per session), should I charge them for the editing, if yes how much?
I don't want them to get pissed but I don't wanna work that much time for free neither...

thanks a lot for the help.
anybody?