Arcturus scheduled for Southern Discomfort Metal Festival

It does indeed happen all the time, but that doesn't mean it makes sense... it's just an emotional reaction that someone can't let go of or can't get over. Personally, I can think of two specific instances where a band member of bands that I liked was a total douche either to me or to others who were present. I continue to be an avid fan of both bands to this day. After all, I didn't originally get into those bands because I thought the band members were great people, I got into them because I liked the music. So finding out that they're not nice, or at least were uncool on one occasion, has no particular bearing on anything. Witnessing the band members acting like assholes does not suddenly rewrite history or have any bearing whatsoever on the music. I may not choose to hang out with those individuals anymore (not that I would have had an opportunity to anyway), but I'll still listen to their music.

Well, I personally can not stand listening to certain bands any longer due to the negative feelings they evoke in me.

An example of that is a band that have played ProgPower in the past, and whose albums I LOVED; but the way they financially fucked over my business partner Lars and his band Manticora is good enough reason for not listening to said bands music anymore.

And no, I'm not saying this to get sympathy - that ship is long sailed - in fact, people on this forum still choose to support that band because they don't know any better on how that band does their "business" ... this is just an example of how it DOES indeed make sense that an emotional reaction can ruin ones appreciation of music.

c.

Well, I personally can not stand listening to certain bands any longer due to the negative feelings they evoke in me.

An example of that is a band that have played ProgPower in the past, and whose albums I LOVED; but the way they financially fucked over my business partner Lars and his band Manticora is good enough reason for not listening to said bands music anymore.

And no, I'm not saying this to get sympathy - that ship is long sailed - in fact, people on this forum still choose to support that band because they don't know any better on how that band does their "business" ... this is just an example of how it DOES indeed make sense that an emotional reaction can ruin ones appreciation of music.

c.

That doesn't mean it makes sense... that just means you're not separating your enjoyment of the music from your feelings about your personal or business interactions with the band. Now, that's fine, and you certainly have the right to do that if you wish, but that doesn't mean your negative business interaction with them has any actual bearing on the quality of their music. Given what you said, it sounds like there's a fair chance that this is a band I listen to. If that is the case, I certainly don't appreciate that they fucked over you or Lars. Based on that, I might very well decline to do business with them in the future if the opportunity ever came up. But then, I never had any expectation that they were good or honest businesspeople to begin with when I started listening to them. My interest in them extends solely to their music... which gives me no useful information about their personal integrity or business acumen... which I really have no reason to be concerned with anyway.

in fact, people on this forum still choose to support that band because they don't know any better
Are you suggesting that your experiences should color other people's feelings about a band's musical output?

That being said, I wouldn't blame anyone for no longer liking a band after having a sour enough run-in with them. It's like, every time you hear X song it just reminds you about what a douchecluster they are.

Based on the communication experience I had with them, it would take them two hours to watch 60 Minutes.

ROFL. This and the 'gums on fire' quote help make this thread ell-oh-ell funny. :)

More seriously, I'm with William on this. Am I disappointed by this? Sure. I still enjoy Arcturus' stuff (Sham Mirrors most of all, though), but I haven't played them on WREKage since all this shit came down...and I don't plan to anytime soon.
--OTOH, I haven't pulled their CDs out of my WREKage CD cases completely. Their shitty way of treating a friend and promoter has angered me, but hasn't diminished their music in any appreciable way.

And I'll agree that Ihsahn is an upgrade. :kickass:

It does indeed happen all the time, but that doesn't mean it makes sense... it's just an emotional reaction that someone can't let go of or can't get over.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion. As you don't know half the story, I'll just let you keep wondering and thinking that I'm just being over-emotional and not getting over it.

Sumeet said:
Personally, I can think of two specific instances where a band member of bands that I liked was a total douche either to me or to others who were present. I continue to be an avid fan of both bands to this day. After all, I didn't originally get into those bands because I thought the band members were great people, I got into them because I liked the music. So finding out that they're not nice, or at least were uncool on one occasion, has no particular bearing on anything. Witnessing the band members acting like assholes does not suddenly rewrite history or have any bearing whatsoever on the music.

Good for you. I am not sure if you got the memo, but there's different situations and people react differently. Also, keep in mind you're speaking as a fan. I'm speaking as a fan AND as someone who's worked in this "scene" in many capacities for close to ten years now. It's not exactly the same when there's more than seeing an "idol".

Sumeet said:
I may not choose to hang out with those individuals anymore (not that I would have had an opportunity to anyway), but I'll still listen to their music. Just like, for example, if I found out a musician I liked is a really bad driver, I might choose not to ride in a car with him, but I'd still listen to his music.

:lol: at your comparison. It makes no sense at all bro, but that's cool.

Sumeet said:
Also, the vast majority of times I've met musicians, they were cool. That didn't make me like their music any more or less though. Even most of the musicians I've met whose music I was not into were generally cool people... but I didn't start to like their music more just because we got
along personally.

Again, to each their own. Just don't sit and tell me that what I said "makes no sense", because it clearly didn't only happen to me. Let's say a band member comes to you and spits on your face (not the case with me, mind you), would you still listen to them regularly and still be a fanboy? I doubt it.

So if they knew the whole story, they would hate the band, but that wouldn't necessarily color their appreciation of the music?

I could understand that, too. I mean, for me I'd have to get personally wronged by a band before i could associate their music with negative feelings. it's hard for me to fathom doing that for other people's experiences, but as for my feelings about the band and it's members, I could be thusly influenced because I'm not a complete asshole (sometimes.)
I'm not trying to mess with you on or anything, I just didn't understand what you were saying, on account of my having a moment of stupidity.

That doesn't mean it makes sense... that just means you're not separating your enjoyment of the music from your feelings about your personal or business interactions with the band.

Exactly. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Sometimes it gets personal too. ;)

It seems like what you're saying here is that liking someone's music means an implied assumption that they are also cool or friendly or at least non-douchey in person. So... based on this, you should make every effort to avoid meeting any musicians whose music you like, in order to minimize the chance that you will have to stop enjoying music that you currently like.

No, as nothing except the original feeling of the music is there unless I do have something to add. I actually don't go out of my way to meet musicians. The whole meeting, getting autographs, hanging behind the venue, etc, has never been part of the scene for me. I really just don't care about it all that much. I do occasionally get a chance to talk to someone, and thankfully they usually have been quite cool.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion. As you don't know half the story, I'll just let you keep wondering and thinking that I'm just being over-emotional and not getting over it.

Not only do I not know half the story, I don't even know 1% of the story. Obviously, I was not party to the situation you are referring to, nor have you described the details of it, so I don't know anything about it at all. I'm also neither wondering about it, nor asserting that you're being over or under emotional about it. You can be exactly as emotional about it as you choose, but clearly, you are being emotional about it to some extent, and clearly you can't or won't let go of it. That said, the percentage to which I know the situation you are referring to has no bearing on what I am saying... in fact, what I am saying is specifically that such a situation has no effect on the quality of their music.

Good for you. I am not sure if you got the memo, but there's different situations and people react differently.

As I said in this thread, people can react however they want. And I don't even have to say that, that's an obvious fact. Defensive much?

Also, keep in mind you're speaking as a fan. I'm speaking as a fan AND as someone who's worked in this "scene" in many capacities for close to ten years now.

You're prevaricating here and completely missing the point. Certainly, I am a music fan, and do not have your illustrious decade of experience working in the music industry. No question there. But that also has *nothing to do with the quality of a band's music*.

It's not exactly the same when there's more than seeing an "idol".

I really don't know what you're referring to here. I've never considered a musician (or anyone) an "idol", and my original point speaks pretty clearly against the notion of "idols".

:lol: at your comparison. It makes no sense at all bro, but that's cool.

Exactly... it makes no sense!

Again, to each their own. Just don't sit and tell me that what I said "makes no sense", because it clearly didn't only happen to me.

Oh, ok... so, if more than one person does something, then it automatically makes sense?

Let's say a band member comes to you and spits on your face (not the case with me, mind you), would you still listen to them regularly and still be a fanboy? I doubt it.

First off, I am not a "fanboy" of any band (or any person at all). I have met some bands and band members and found them to be cool, and I appreciate that, but that has nothing to do with the quality of their music, just like finding out they're douchebags has nothing to do with the quality of their music. So you can doubt it as much as you want based on your personal predilections, but since a band member spitting in my face *has nothing to do with the quality of the music*, I would still listen to their music if that were to happen. I would certainly have a problem with him personally and may even pursue that on a personal level, but if I enjoyed the sounds that came out of my speakers when I played his CD the day before the spitting incident, those are still the exact same sounds the day after.

Exactly. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Sometimes it gets personal too. ;)

There's nothing "wrong" with it, since people are obviously free to react however they wish... and I'm certainly aware that I'm pretty much at the far end of the spectrum as far as not taking things personally or holding a grudge. But that still doesn't change the basic fact that there's no actual change in the quality of someone's music based on their later personal or business indiscretions.

No, as nothing except the original feeling of the music is there unless I do have something to add. I actually don't go out of my way to meet musicians. The whole meeting, getting autographs, hanging behind the venue, etc, has never been part of the scene for me. I really just don't care about it all that much. I do occasionally get a chance to talk to someone, and thankfully they usually have been quite cool.

I agree there... In certain cases, like ProgPower, there's an increased chance of meeting musicians, so I do happen to talk to musicians or hang out sometimes, but I don't really go out of my way to do so. And I certainly have no interest in autographs. So, it sounds like it's a good idea in your case to not be into that stuff very much, so as to minimize your chances of meeting someone who turns out to be a dick, and then having to stop liking their music.

I was asking the other guy, but any input is welcome. ;)

The other guy already told you that he wasn't looking for sympathy by telling this. It was all just an example of how ones personal interaction with a band can color ones listening enjoyment of said bands music. The other guy does not know nor does he care if people here would hate that band if they knew the whole story. But thanks for asking.

I'm not saying you were, or anything like that... I mean, like if they poured sugar in your gas tank and literally kicked your dog, I'd probably ave a hard time listening to their music without thinking about it, but mostly I was just curious.

*drops it*

I'm not saying you were, or anything like that... I mean, like if they poured sugar in your gas tank and literally kicked your dog, I'd probably ave a hard time listening to their music without thinking about it, but mostly I was just curious.

Why is it more of a problem if they kick a dog or pour sugar in ones gas tank than if they cheat someone else out of money deliberately? My partner and his band lost A LOT of money due to what this other band did. It almost broke up his band and gave some of them a really hard time financially for a long time after the incident. Any way, the entire purpose of me posting here was not to tell that whole story again, but rather to prove a point that it's easy to loose interest in listening to music from a band if you've had a bad personal experience with them.

c.

Dude, I'm not trying to pick a fight. The above examples are figurative, not literal.