Are bands getting bored of playing progressive?

Rocky Balboa

New Metal Member
Apr 4, 2007
It seems like being heavy is the new wave of prog metal. Although new Symphony X is great as the new DT, prog metal seems to be steering away from being flat out progressive. Yes, there are still a ton of bands doing it (Suspyre, Heart Of Sun, etc....) but it seems prog metal bands are leaning to a heavier sound. Is progressive getting re-gressive? Anyone here see my point? Is it a money thing? or are bands getting bored? LOL. Just a thought, I don't want to start a bashing session, It just seems of late like prog bands are afraid of being considered "light". I happen to love Stride and bands of that style of prog, it has all the elements I personally enjoy, STRIDE is just an example.

I don't think that heavy has anything to do with taking away from progressive. Just look at progressive bands like Opeth as an example. So no. I disagree. So using the definition of progressive that doesn't mean, progressing each album, and more of a musical 'style' I'll say I disagree with you. I think that Dream Theater's latest is still very progressive, even if BenMech is convinced the one song sounds like MudVayne (even though you'll never hear the type of solo JP breaks out on any MudVayne album) =D

As for being afraid to be light? I will agree that many bands are saying they are ought to make their heaviest album ever. But I don't think there's lack of Fates Warning-esque prog still.

It's kind of funny this topic came up since it seems some people are complaining about Sonata's more progressive sound on the new CD in the other thread.

It seems like being heavy is the new wave of prog metal. Although new Symphony X is great as the new DT, prog metal seems to be steering away from being flat out progressive. Yes, there are still a ton of bands doing it (Suspyre, Heart Of Sun, etc....) but it seems prog metal bands are leaning to a heavier sound. Is progressive getting re-gressive? Anyone here see my point? Is it a money thing? or are bands getting bored? LOL. Just a thought, I don't want to start a bashing session, It just seems of late like prog bands are afraid of being considered "light". I happen to love Stride and bands of that style of prog, it has all the elements I personally enjoy, STRIDE is just an example.

Have you heard Systematic Chaos dude? It's incredibly progressive. The new SymX has progressive elements but the new DT is far more progressive (although the new SymX is indeed better). There are two overly heavy songs on the new DT, and both of those tracks are complete oddballs and don't sum up the entire release.

Have you heard Systematic Chaos dude? It's incredibly progressive. The new SymX has progressive elements but the new DT is far more progressive (although the new SymX is indeed better). There are two overly heavy songs on the new DT, and both of those tracks are complete oddballs and don't sum up the entire release.

***I just "got" the new DT and have not listened. I NEVER base a release on 1 song, I realize the first tune that leaked was heavier than the rest is supposed to be. As for new Symphony X, I do like it a lot but damn it's almost back to basics!!! But you validated my point by bands feeling the need for a heavy tune or 2 to make sure they are not considered "weak" sounding. I am a HUGE prog metal fan and love my thinking mans music, I love to sit and digest my music if you know what I mean. As for Symphony X new one, people are claiming it's their best and the cd of the year. I do like it, but dudes, for five years in the making, it could have been better, let's be real, especially if know all their music.

**As for Symphony X new one, people are claiming it's their best and the cd of the year. I do like it, but dudes, for five years in the making, it could have been better, let's be real, especially if know all their music.

I'm sorry but all 5 years (4 years and 7 months to be exact) were not spent writing this particular album. There was some touring, solo efforts, etc that they did durung those years. And while you may not find it to be the best, others are. It's all subjective. I think most people will agree that it's the best produced effort they have put out. It's the heaviest thing they have put out as well. I just can't wait to see them slay live with this material. And slay they will. There's just an energy and agression factor that is going to be electric with this new material in the live setting.

my 2 cents.
G

lol... slay.

I always laugh a little whenever I see someone write that about a band. After all, shouldn't "slay" be how one explains a power metal bands performance? As in, THEY SLAYED THE DRAGON. (or slew.)

I think theres some truth in this post. Seems Dream Theater certainly have a huge chunky metal style injected into their last few releases. I personally love the images and words or fates warning parallels style prog metal. Thats why these days im loving releases from stride, circus maximus and seventh wonder. bands that are progressive and arent afraid of throwing plenty of singalong hooks into the mix.

I think bands are moving in a heavier direction because it's where the money is. Which is odd, as it's a complete juxtaposition of what happened with Metal in the 80s.

Heavier bands are able to draw from the teen demographic. From the same crowd that loves Killswitch, Lamb of God and Trivium. Say what you will about those three bands, but they can outdraw, tenfold, almost any of the bands discussed here. Hell, I watched Lamb of God steal the show at Gigantour, out from under Megadeth.

Zod

Hell, I watched Lamb of God steal the show at Gigantour, out from under Megadeth.

Zod

Well that's just Megadeth for you...Mustaine should just pull Mega out & fill that slot with a decent headliner. DT owned that tour the first go round. And, DT is not the heaviest band there is...not even on that tour.

l do agree that most bands are attempting to aim their material at a somewhat different demographic while still catering to their standard fanbase. It's a juggling act for sure.

***I just "got" the new DT and have not listened. I NEVER base a release on 1 song, I realize the first tune that leaked was heavier than the rest is supposed to be. As for new Symphony X, I do like it a lot but damn it's almost back to basics!!! But you validated my point by bands feeling the need for a heavy tune or 2 to make sure they are not considered "weak" sounding. I am a HUGE prog metal fan and love my thinking mans music, I love to sit and digest my music if you know what I mean. As for Symphony X new one, people are claiming it's their best and the cd of the year. I do like it, but dudes, for five years in the making, it could have been better, let's be real, especially if know all their music.

The new SymX is not album of the year because it's heavy, it's album of the year because the songs are excellent and incorporate everything that we know and love about the band.

i think what you are saying is, are all the big names getting bored of progressive

there are still tons and tons of bands that arent straying from their progressive styles, regardless if you can say dream theater and symphony x have or not, just because those two are straying, it doesnt mean that all the other bands are. i know most of the bands i listen to that could be labeled as progressive definitely arent straying. what you are referring to is progressive metal, and its like you forgot about the metal part or something, and all of a sudden people are suprised that they are sounding more metal on some albums than progressive. regardless the progressive sound is still there if you look enough.

IMO your post makes no sense. Theres a reason why theres Prog METAL, and Prog ROCK. 2 seperate genres.

If anything Progressive Metal is becoming more prevalent since a lot of Power Metal bands that are starting to go more progressive.

While l don't agree that the new SX is better...l do agree with your assessment of the progressiveness of Systematic Chaos. It is definitely that & then some. DT does it like nobody else.

Well that's just Megadeth for you...Mustaine should just pull Mega out & fill that slot with a decent headliner.
Essentially, they did bill that tour with a decent headliner... Lamb of God. I was seriously shocked by how much of the crowd was there for LoG. Their performance was tight, energetic and brimming with confidence.

DT owned that tour the first go round.
Hard for me to agree, since I left my front row seat to go lay down in the lawn seat area, after two or three songs. Though I was impressed by their performance of "In the Name of God", I'd say Nevermore and SX were the two best live acts at that show.

l do agree that most bands are attempting to aim their material at a somewhat different demographic while still catering to their standard fanbase. It's a juggling act for sure.
Luckily, I prefer things heavier, so the recent trend works out well for me. I feel bad for those folks who prefer their music more melodic, who are seeing their favorite bands leaving for greener pastures.

Zod

Essentially, they did bill that tour with a decent headliner... Lamb of God. I was seriously shocked by how much of the crowd was there for LoG. Their performance was tight, energetic and brimming with confidence.

Considering l don't know LoG, l can't say much. But, if they drew the better crowd...that does seem to be an indicator. l will reference your 1st statement that you edited painting Megadeth as boring...they definitely were on the 1st tour...thank goodness for the pyro.

General Zod said:
Hard for me to agree, since I left my front row seat to go lay down in the lawn seat area, after two or three songs. Though I was impressed by their performance of "In the Name of God", I'd say Nevermore and SX were the two best live acts at that show.

Definitely a preference thing...but again if crowds are an indicator as mentioned above...DT owned that category. l attended 3 shows...all 3 virtually devoid of people for all bands until DT hit the stage & then 1/4 - 1/2 the people left before Megadeth hit the stage.

General Zod said:
Luckily, I prefer things heavier, so the recent trend works out well for me. I feel bad for those folks who prefer their music more melodic, who are seeing their favorite bands leaving for greener pastures.

Actually l'm enjoying the heavier material myself. DT seems to mix it up very well on SC, heavier on some tunes but still good melody on others...l'm finding myself humming some of the melody lines while at work (good sign). l like the harder edge SX has on PL too...not as melodious, but still shows a progressive nature to add to their sound.

Considering l don't know LoG, l can't say much.
Think Slayer, but more modern, and with politics instead of satan for lyrics.

Definitely a preference thing...
For sure. The crowd, as much as I could tell, seemed to be there equally for Megadeth and DT. But to be honest, I can't say I really paid much attention to who the crowd was leaning towards.

Zod

I think theres some truth in this post. Seems Dream Theater certainly have a huge chunky metal style injected into their last few releases. I personally love the images and words or fates warning parallels style prog metal. Thats why these days im loving releases from stride, circus maximus and seventh wonder. bands that are progressive and arent afraid of throwing plenty of singalong hooks into the mix.

****You hit the nail on the head, point made..thank you for seeing what I see.