Recognizing the "new" generation of prog metal?

I'd really like to highlight Ever Forthright out of this group. They're freakin incredible, and Barretto is awesome in both harsh and clean voice (AND he's a hell of a sax player).

Damn it, I really need to go back and revisit some bands. I remember seeing the Ever Forthright video a while back, but for some reason I don't see them in my collection. I will have to remedy that.

He's also now in front of Monuments, whose last album was also quite amazing.

I bought aMonuments CD a few years ago and it did not click at all. This clip is pretty intriguing. So they've got Barretto on vox and Anup on drums. Cool. I'll be seeing them with The Contortionist in April.

And bonus is that I have a pic of him fondling my beard, because of reasons.

Oh my.

Reactions: Mardoch
If you want to see what newer generations of prog metal are into, I suggest going to https://www.reddit.com/r/progmetal/

I frequent there just to get a different perspective on prog metal than I get here and the other places. It tends to skew younger, so it is interesting to see what they are excited about. Dream Theater, Fates, Circus Maximus and the like show up there, but it is less frequent than the newer stuff. The music there leans more toward the Djenty/technical side, which is a genre I like, but do not love.

I guess for me this genesis of this type of newer prog metal makes sense. Dream Theater mashed together Yes/Rush and the metal they were listening to at the time (Metallica and Maiden). It seems like younger musicians are mashing up Dream Theater with the metal they are into which is likely more extreme metal. This makes sense if they were growing up in the 00's it was either that nu-metal, or nu-metal lite (Disturbed).

As I said, I am not a huge have of that Djenty genre. It sounds a bit the samey to me and the vocals seem so formulaic and tacked on with most of those bands. I have no problem with harsh vocals, but many of the bands it seems so paint by number. screamo, clean, screamo, clean vocals over a clean riff. That being said bands like Protest the Hero, Native Construct, and Fallujah have put out albums I have loved recently.

Reactions: NorseBlood
These two might be what you're looking for...
- djentish with clean vocals

- has some harsh vocals

Both at Bandcamp for the whole disc