What happened to prog metal?

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
As still a relatively new listener to the genre (6 years or so now), most of the progressive metal I listen to is from before I got into the genre. Now when I look around I see plenty of melodic 'prog', but I see very little of more aggressive progressive music. There are avant garde and experimental bands out there, but those aren't the types I'm talking about, as they tend to either be more of the black metal variety, or more rock than metal, respectively.

What I'm referring to is the aggression level of bands like Complex 7. I'm talking about bands that had no shame in playing complex-technical music. Now to get a band that takes pride in delving into difficult-to-play music often requires you to look at one of the 'cores' (metal, grind) or, as another sad decline, in death.

When it comes to this festival, progressive music has little hope when there seems to be so few fans of this style anymore. Where are the people pushing for new, young, progressive metal bands, or propping up the old ones. I enjoy some melodic prog bands, but frankly, their music does not fit that huge hole that wants complex, well thoughtout music. I want more Fates Warnings, more Abstract Shadows, All Too Human, Sieges Even, or Catharsis. But I can't find it.

Wastefall - no longer around. Good band though.
SUE counts.
Halcyon Way is power metal.
Future's End counts.
Raintime is power-prog-melodic-death.. yahh...
There's some new stuff on Lion's Music that I like.

Really what I'm seeing as relevant is the stuff that is on ProgPower Europes last few rosters, which includes bands like Day Six.

As still a relatively new listener to the genre (6 years or so now), most of the progressive metal I listen to is from before I got into the genre. Now when I look around I see plenty of melodic 'prog', but I see very little of more aggressive progressive music. There are avant garde and experimental bands out there, but those aren't the types I'm talking about, as they tend to either be more of the black metal variety, or more rock than metal, respectively.

What I'm referring to is the aggression level of bands like Complex 7. I'm talking about bands that had no shame in playing complex-technical music. Now to get a band that takes pride in delving into difficult-to-play music often requires you to look at one of the 'cores' (metal, grind) or, as another sad decline, in death.

When it comes to this festival, progressive music has little hope when there seems to be so few fans of this style anymore. Where are the people pushing for new, young, progressive metal bands, or propping up the old ones. I enjoy some melodic prog bands, but frankly, their music does not fit that huge hole that wants complex, well thoughtout music. I want more Fates Warnings, more Abstract Shadows, All Too Human, Sieges Even, or Catharsis. But I can't find it.

***You know where to post this question, if you haven't already .....:)

Have you listened to Barren Earth? Opeth-drenched progressive death metal. Maybe not your tastes...dunno, but it's sure aggressive! :)

Agreed, but I'm pretty sure this isn't what he's talking about. He sort of jumped around the description, but I'm guessing what he means is more DT-type prog. Creation's End should be pretty good and Aspera was good from what I've heard (I still need to pick up the disc though).

They're out there and not very hard to find.

About as progressive as it gets...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/623895-utopia-new-italian-progressive-metal.html

another...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/625317-mindsplit-video.html

and another I really like...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/603360-anaxes-progressive-metal.html

The cause is being championed, it's just not getting listened to anymore.

It just really hasn't been WORTH listening to. I'll check out that Utopia disc though.

to Cherion's credit, this forum is where I look for new music.

Absolutely. A lot of my new findings come from here. However, I get the feeling that a lot of the lesser known bands that a lot of people post new threads about are simply overlooked or ignored. A lot of times, those threads end with 5 posts tops. I get the feeling that some people are just afraid to try something new, or simply don't want to bother.

Absolutely. A lot of my new findings come from here. However, I get the feeling that a lot of the lesser known bands that a lot of people post new threads about are simply overlooked or ignored. A lot of times, those threads end with 5 posts tops. I get the feeling that some people are just afraid to try something new, or simply don't want to bother.

Yeah, but as far as I can remember the forum has always been like that. Outside of bands on the verge of breaking out and bands playing the fest, threads on new bands don't really get any attention.

Yeah, but as far as I can remember the forum has always been like that. Outside of bands on the verge of breaking out and bands playing the fest, threads on new bands don't really get any attention.

You are right, and I never understood the reason. Why do you think that's the case?

Links?
Sorry, could not help myself...
:loco:

Seriously...if you put the names of bands you like into youtube, you are gonna get responses back of bands you don't know...and will like.

If you wanna do that, you might as well use Pandora. It's a much more efficient way to go about doing that or Myspace even.