The prog in progpower

be careful torching Mercenary on this forum (I know, I don't get it either).

I'm not trying to torch them necessarily. I just get nothing whatsoever vocal-wise out of Everblack. If I could listen to instrumentals of all those tracks without the singing, man, it would kick ass :) Unfortunately, Everblack was the first I'd heard of them, so it left an impression, and not a favorable one to my tastes. I've never heard First Breath, but would guess it's more like Everblack than the 2 newer releases.

But man, most of 11 Dreams and Hours That Remain is awesome stuff. Some music pokes through the growling, and some wicked music at that. Very nice releases. If they are capable of the excellent vocals they exhibit in those releases, no need for the growl, LOL. Tight stuff those 2 newer ones.

As for Threshold, I like some Subsurface and Dead Reckoning that I've heard. Wireless though did nothing for me. I know they have like a million releases, and I've only heard parts of 3 :)

I've figured it out though for when I get to really listen to some Threshold....I just have to tell myself to expect "Rush" instead of "Judas Priest/Brainstorm/Communic/ etc"). I mean, really, I think it's as simple as expectation of Power instead of Prog. I just need to get in the right frame of mind. I like most anything metal besides the growling, I've just gotten really hooked on power lately, LOL.

"Wireless" is an acoustic release, so it's no wonder it sounded a bit soft. :lol: Good Threshold albums to check out are Hypothetical and Wounded Land.

Dude, first of all Nice post. Second, becareful torching Mercenary on this forum (I know, I don't get it either).

I hardly call his post "torching". Just a matter of fact opinion. I, for one, find Mercenary's growling tastefully used, but it's not for everyone. They're the harder end of the spectrum for Progpower, and in my mind, after their performance at 4, revolutionized the type of band that could be expected to play at PP. Not many bands can lay claim to something that awesome.

Virtually no one was happy they were playing PP4 beforehand. Everyone was like "ew death metal wtf!" but, Mercenary put on their best "Fuck you, We'll kick your metal asses!" face, came out, and brought the house down with that performance. It's easily one of my favorite sets to date. All the moreso because I was really looking forward to seeing them tear it up that night, and deliver they did.

I think thats why they have so much respect on the forum. They are, in essence, (to me) what Progpower is all about. Shattering boundries and bringing awesomeness to the stage.

Having only recently discovered that metal didn't die in the 90s and turn into complete growling-death, I'd hate to finally get to start attending the festival only to have to listen to a lot of growling. I guess if a death band hits the stage that would be time to stretch the legs, get a snack, bathroom break, etc. :)

Somehow I just missed the boat on this whole growling death thing.. I just don't get it, LOL.

Bands like Epica just rip me up. The beauty of the female voice, the melodic complexity of the musical arrangements...the "I'm turning this crap off" feeling that overtakes me when growling intrudes on an otherwise goosebump-inducing song...sigh. Maybe it's just all different live.

A friend of mine got into Mercenary recently after he attended last year's festival, and that was a little too much growling for me listening to some of his CDs.

I've been attending the festival since 2002, and I would also hate for it to feature too many bands with death or growling vocals. Give me bands like Threshold, Redemption, Symphony X, Dreamscape, Circus Maximus, etc, over progressive death or doom any day. There may be obvious DT (and Rush) influences, and that's fine with me. I simply cannot get into death or growling vocals, and I've really tried. Even Orphaned Land, whose performance I otherwise liked, had too much for me.

I do understand that others enjoy bands that feature those types of vocals - Mercenary was not my thing, but they went over very well and many appreciated them. So if there's a Mercenary, Epica, or Into Eternity every so often, that's the way it goes. But if more and more death vocals start to appear on the line up, that would be very disappointing to me. Or if progressive bands with death vocals are on the roster at the expense of progressive bands without death vocals, I wouldn't be too happy about that either.

On the other hand, I would really enjoy a lighter progressive band like Riverside or Sieges Even - again not to dominate the line up, but every so often.

Last year many bands got lots of love. But some standouts on the love side were Epica and Mercenary. Previous year Therion got lots of love. And I'm sure this year that Raintime will get some love from those who show up early enough to catch them (which should be at least 600 people).

But if more and more death vocals start to appear on the line up, that would be very disappointing to me. Or if progressive bands with death vocals are on the roster at the expense of progressive bands without death vocals, I wouldn't be too happy about that either.

Don't count on this to happen. One a year, maybe, no more. Keep in mind that there are 10 slots to fill yearly and every year gets harder and harder to fill the slots with non-repeats that will draw a crowd. Therefore, expect at least one band every year to have some form of harsh vocals. HOWEVER, I think the whole of the PP population is in agreeance with you (I know I am), and I can't imagine Glenn changing the core of the fest that dramatically. Ever.

Don't count on this to happen. One a year, maybe, no more. Keep in mind that there are 10 slots to fill yearly and every year gets harder and harder to fill the slots with non-repeats that will draw a crowd. Therefore, expect at least one band every year to have some form of harsh vocals. HOWEVER, I think the whole of the PP population is in agreeance with you (I know I am), and I can't imagine Glenn changing the core of the fest that dramatically. Ever.

Glad to know I'm not alone in feeling that way. I can certainly handle one band every year. I'm sure it's not easy to create the line up each year, and I don't expect that all 10 bands will be to my personal liking each time. :)

Last year many bands got lots of love. But some standouts on the love side were Epica and Mercenary. Previous year Therion got lots of love. And I'm sure this year that Raintime will get some love from those who show up early enough to catch them (which should be at least 600 people).

i'll be there for Raintime \mm/

I hardly call his post "torching". Just a matter of fact opinion. I, for one, find Mercenary's growling tastefully used, but it's not for everyone. They're the harder end of the spectrum for Progpower, and in my mind, after their performance at 4, revolutionized the type of band that could be expected to play at PP. Not many bands can lay claim to something that awesome.

Virtually no one was happy they were playing PP4 beforehand. Everyone was like "ew death metal wtf!" but, Mercenary put on their best "Fuck you, We'll kick your metal asses!" face, came out, and brought the house down with that performance. It's easily one of my favorite sets to date. All the moreso because I was really looking forward to seeing them tear it up that night, and deliver they did.

I think thats why they have so much respect on the forum. They are, in essence, (to me) what Progpower is all about. Shattering boundries and bringing awesomeness to the stage.

Hey, thanks for making my point. Another day another definition of ProgPower. I guess I missed the "fuck you" show, I must have been getting a beer.:kickass: I wonder, did the invention of the toilet revolutionize shit?:heh:

Personally I look around and see the darker genre's of metal saturating the market. People, most of the younger crowd gravitates towards it for some reason. It's not hard to turn around and catch a death/doom show anytime anywhere you want. It's the prog, and to a slightly lesser extent, power metal that you can't see often. Hell, here in Columbus, I'll be lucky to catch 1 good show a year.(sorry I missed you Cellador) =/ I have to travel to cleveland, chicago, or detroit to see anything worth while. =( I say one band a year that has a mix, like Epica and Orphaned Land are more than enough.

I personally tend to cringe when epica sticks the growling in next to Simone's voice. WIthout the growling Epica would be one of my all time favorite bands, but they get played maybe once every few months as a result instead. SImply because both the music as well as her voice are all but destroyed by the growling.