The prog in progpower

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Would people be open for non-Dream Theaterish prog bands at ProgPower? And I use that loosely since there's also the tech side like Spiral Architect.

What I'm getting at, is would people be open to progressive styles in the more 'extreme' (sorry Raggi, but sometimes it just explains things) progressive-doom, progressive-death, and progressive-thrash? Or would people want to keep it to the ummm softer(?) side?

Hmm...the only DT-ish bands l can think of that have been to PP are Vanden Plas...and Threshold, Pain of Salvation & Circus Maximus to a certain extent.

Spiral Architect & Zero Hour are not DT-ish.

I would most definitely be up for some Watchtower, Vintersorg/Borknagar, Kovenant, Anathema, C-187, Alarum, Slavior, &/or Solitude Aeturnus appearances at a ProgPower. By "up for" I mean seeing any of those names would be an impetus for me to buy a ticket. Watchtower & Anathema I think could walk on to headliner slots.

This was our intent for 2007 Bay Area Rock Fest on the first night with bands like Timeline, Enchant & Spock's Beard. The second night is where we do the more Prog metal acts. No worries though as next year we may be looking at bands like Anathema, Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Sieges Even, A.C.T., Arena and older Prog bands like Marillion, Saga, King Crimson & Kansas.
So.. we'll see.

If you get Riverside for the next BARFest, it better be all ages... or add in some kind of fee like Texas Madfest.

I know broke 3 year old bois and girls across California who would be willing to pay around a couple thousand dollars in fees to see Riverside.

Spiral Architect & Zero Hour are not DT-ish.

No, they're much more weird!!! :lol:

Kidding ... by "weird" I just mean that they are much more progressive and I do dig progressive stuff, but if it's not live music it's really hard for me to get into stuff that is that proggy without a "catch" (for lack of a better term). I enjoyed seeing Zero Hour last year, but I just can't get into listening to their stuff on CD.

I wouldn't be opposed to some heavier progressive bands, which seems to be the direction you are speaking of. :headbang:

:kickass: Riverside:kickass:

I'm for any flavor of Prog, as long as it's a good band.

By the way, what bands would be considered "progressive-doom"? I've never heard any band described as such. I would have thought the pace of Doom would prevent it from from being "progressive" (as most use the term).

Zod

By the way, what bands would be considered "progressive-doom"? I've never heard any band described as such. I would have thought the pace of Doom would prevent it from from being "progressive" (as most use the term).

Doom doesn't necessarily mean "slow"... in fact, the classic, Sabbath-cloned doom (your Pentagrams and Count Ravens and Saint Vituses and Witchfinder Generals and such) actually tends to be mostly mid-tempo music. Progressive doom is stuff along the lines of Solitude Aeturnus, Memory Garden, Veni Domine, and old Tad Morose... there are lots of minor chords mixed in with darker-atmospheric and rhythm-driven music, but more complexity (time changes, off-beat stuff) than you'll find in most doom.

Tarot and Morgana Lefay, they bring a heavier somewhat thrashier side to the Progressive genre and they still have that Power that goes with the "ProgPower" name. Though, thats just my opinion.

Then there is always Devin Townsend :headbang: :lol:

I'm very much in favour of the ideas presented here.

The problem is that for a good while now, the "Power" was the salesticket force. And Glenn cares more for whatever brings him NON-losses than anything else, even if he personally likes bands outside the box.

True, but nobody is really calling for the entire fest to be taken over by this style of music. One oddball band of the progressive-death/black/thrash/whatever sort would draw a different crowd and still sell tickets, especially if it's a band with a cult following who rarely plays in the USA.