The prog in progpower

I'd be all for Solitude Aeturnus, hell I'd sponsor if I could, what a great choice that would be. I think they'd fit nicely in the 3rd slot for the win space. Their last album was really impressive, as each have been.

Interesting story, James Murphy turned me onto them when he was working at Ace's Records down here in the Tampa area.

I'd be all for Solitude Aeturnus, hell I'd sponsor if I could, what a great choice that would be. I think they'd fit nicely in the 3rd slot for the win space. Their last album was really impressive, as each have been.

You should have been at Chicago Powerfest... they tore the place down, despite muddy sound due to too much low-end that night.

Unfortunately, doom bands aren't really a fit for ProgPower... from reading all the "how it happened" posts, it seems like Harv goes primarily after bands that he thinks are going to bring energy to the stage... SA and similar bands, while dripping with power and emotion (more so than any other genre of metal IMO), aren't what most people would consider to be "energetic", and I think they would put non-fans to sleep. In general, prog bands tend to be less energetic than power metal bands, and there aren't as many prog bands that can hang with the power bands; therefore, I think Glenn would rather fill those "less-energetic" slots with straight prog rather than doom or prog-doom, in order to find a happy medium. After all, it's not DoomPower, it's ProgPower.

Then again... I think a band like Memory Garden, who have somewhat more faster-paced and energetic material than SA, would be a hell of a great oddball band.

When "Prog" starts putting asses in seats around the globe, then there can be legit talk (from a business standpoint) about more Prog. However, that doesn't happen and honestly, I don't ever see that happening because as soon as a Prog band like Threshold steps up and makes a cd that doesn't dinkle dinkle you to death, every Prog fan screams "Sell out" or "Boring". At the end of the day, it's your Sonata and your Within Temptation and such that put the all important asses in seats. But that's just my lousy 2 cents anyway.

Hmm...the only DT-ish bands l can think of that have been to PP are Vanden Plas...and Threshold, Pain of Salvation & Circus Maximus to a certain extent.

Spiral Architect & Zero Hour are not DT-ish.

Adagio, Dreamscape, Pagan's Mind, Conception...

Eehh...Adagio l relate more to Angra & to me that's more power than prog, would have to say PM has more power elements too...not DTish. l'll give you Dreamscape & Conception both of whom l totally glossed over and l dunno why. There's also Redemption.

So, out of the 60 or so bands that have graced the Earthlink/Centerstage...7 have some elements of a DT sound. l'm betting we can trace more PP bands back to Helloween than any other.

If you get Riverside for the next BARFest, it better be all ages... or add in some kind of fee like Texas Madfest.

I know broke 3 year old bois and girls across California who would be willing to pay around a couple thousand dollars in fees to see Riverside.

We are definitely going to do the next BARFest in an "All Ages" venue next year for sure. We missed out on a lot of potential tickets sales this year as a result. Also, our issue with bands like Riverside is the sound system has to be incredible for it to sound good with all dynamics associated with this style of progressive music. Thankfully Spock's Beard liked the sound system at the Independent in San Francisco, so we will need to chose our venue carefully based on both the "All Ages" aspect, the size obviously as well as the sound system specs.

When "Prog" starts putting asses in seats around the globe, then there can be legit talk (from a business standpoint) about more Prog. However, that doesn't happen and honestly, I don't ever see that happening because as soon as a Prog band like Threshold steps up and makes a cd that doesn't dinkle dinkle you to death, every Prog fan screams "Sell out" or "Boring". At the end of the day, it's your Sonata and your Within Temptation and such that put the all important asses in seats. But that's just my lousy 2 cents anyway.

That's certainly interesting but I don't know how true it is. This will be my six show and I'll tell ya, It's not Sonata I'm coming to see. While I will certainly enjoy the diverse bands, My heart wants to hear Vanden Plas, Threshold, Redemption, and Pagan's Mind first and foremost.:headbang: It seem's like fan's were screaming sell out at Evergrey last year. The point is that it's always something. Power is the main seller right now, but Power tours the states a hell of a lot more then Prog. Over the years it has been a lot tougher to get Prog bands down south (Florida). So, I started coming to this show for Prog, and then Power. Hence the title "Prog Power". Just my oppinion.:lol:

Having only recently discovered that metal didn't die in the 90s and turn into complete growling-death, I'd hate to finally get to start attending the festival only to have to listen to a lot of growling. I guess if a death band hits the stage that would be time to stretch the legs, get a snack, bathroom break, etc. :)

Somehow I just missed the boat on this whole growling death thing.. I just don't get it, LOL.

Bands like Epica just rip me up. The beauty of the female voice, the melodic complexity of the musical arrangements...the "I'm turning this crap off" feeling that overtakes me when growling intrudes on an otherwise goosebump-inducing song...sigh. Maybe it's just all different live.

A friend of mine got into Mercenary recently after he attended last year's festival, and that was a little too much growling for me listening to some of his CDs.

I guess I'm definitely a power vote too, because I'm left thinking Threshold seems a little soft. I don't have any of their CDs, so maybe I'm catching bad samples.

I'm more of a Judas Priest/Queensryche/Brainstorm/Silent Force/Communic/Sonata/Pyramaze/Hammerfall/Primal Fear/Falconer/EdGuy/Galloglass/Heimdall kinda guy :)

Dont forget Symph X and Redemption.

l added Redemption in another post. SX is not a DT type band. Go to the SX forum and say that... then take cover immediately. l relate SX more to Yngwie Malmsteen than anything. That's the direction Yngwie should have took his music, but Romeo beat him to it.

FriendOfEntropy said:
Somehow I just missed the boat on this whole growling death thing.. I just don't get it, LOL.

You and l both were left on the dock on that...and personally l'm glad.

Eehh...Adagio l relate more to Angra & to me that's more power than prog, would have to say PM has more power elements too...not DTish. l'll give you Dreamscape & Conception both of whom l totally glossed over and l dunno why. There's also Redemption.

So, out of the 60 or so bands that have graced the Earthlink/Centerstage...7 have some elements of a DT sound. l'm betting we can trace more PP bands back to Helloween than any other.

that's because Helloween is basically the center of the metal universe....if you go through bands by shared members (or people who were important in getting a band started), you can connect Helloween to just about any other metal band. i'm only 9 steps away :lol:

Helloween --> Blind Guardian (Kai Hansen) --> D&W --> Iced Earth --> Death --> Vital Remains --> Dying Fetus --> Garden of Shadows --> Recently Vacated Graves: True Zombie Metal (my band)

Having only recently discovered that metal didn't die in the 90s and turn into complete growling-death, I'd hate to finally get to start attending the festival only to have to listen to a lot of growling. I guess if a death band hits the stage that would be time to stretch the legs, get a snack, bathroom break, etc. :)

Bands like Epica just rip me up. The beauty of the female voice, the melodic complexity of the musical arrangements...the "I'm turning this crap off" feeling that overtakes me when growling intrudes on an otherwise goosebump-inducing song...sigh. Maybe it's just all different live.

A friend of mine got into Mercenary recently after he attended last year's festival, and that was a little too much growling for me listening to some of his CDs.

I guess I'm definitely a power vote too, because I'm left thinking Threshold seems a little soft. I don't have any of their CDs, so maybe I'm catching bad samples.

I'm more of a Judas Priest/Queensryche/Brainstorm/Silent Force/Communic/Sonata/Pyramaze/Hammerfall/Primal Fear/Falconer/EdGuy/Galloglass/Heimdall kinda guy :)

Dude, first of all Nice post. Second, becareful torching Mercenary on this forum (I know, I don't get it either). Third, several Power bands have Prog tendencies and vice-a-versa. And last, buy some Threshold, say Hypothetical or Clone.:headbang: