What happened to prog metal?

Jeremy: Among the faithful, you have prog metal, and then there's progressive metal. Prog metal being more what I'm asking about here, progressive being what you are talking about. But it is such a ridiculous concept anyhow. Sorry Mr. Progressive Metal band, you did not invent new chords, not even a new single note, nonetheless a new time signature!

The idea that music can progress/evolve is itself a ridiculous notion. Sure, I'm all for bands taking the lessons and influences and coming up with a fairly unique sound. But there's only room for a few of these bands. I listen to plenty of 'experimental' and 'avant garde', and even then there's only so much variety.

When I go to listen to jazz, including bebop, fusion, or avant garde, I'm not looking for them to be something wholy original. I'm just looking to listen to so damn good music. Same with what I'm asking for from this thread. I think the 'prog metal' genre is largely becoming a melodic metal genre, and fewer and fewer bands are incorporating advanced techniques. I'm not sure what this is the case. Some people here are stating that I'm just not looking in the right places, but then I ask where are they? Because I browse a few forums that prog metal fans hang out on, and I'm not finding it. I'm hearing far more Circus Maximus and tons of new Riversides, but in comparison, very few All Too Humans, mid-period Fates Warning, or Watchtowers.

Jeremy: Among the faithful, you have prog metal, and then there's progressive metal. Prog metal being more what I'm asking about here, progressive being what you are talking about. But it is such a ridiculous concept anyhow. Sorry Mr. Progressive Metal band, you did not invent new chords, not even a new single note, nonetheless a new time signature!

The idea that music can progress/evolve is itself a ridiculous notion. Sure, I'm all for bands taking the lessons and influences and coming up with a fairly unique sound. But there's only room for a few of these bands. I listen to plenty of 'experimental' and 'avant garde', and even then there's only so much variety.

When I go to listen to jazz, including bebop, fusion, or avant garde, I'm not looking for them to be something wholy original. I'm just looking to listen to so damn good music. Same with what I'm asking for from this thread. I think the 'prog metal' genre is largely becoming a melodic metal genre, and fewer and fewer bands are incorporating advanced techniques. I'm not sure what this is the case. Some people here are stating that I'm just not looking in the right places, but then I ask where are they? Because I browse a few forums that prog metal fans hang out on, and I'm not finding it. I'm hearing far more Circus Maximus and tons of new Riversides, but in comparison, very few All Too Humans, mid-period Fates Warning, or Watchtowers.

***Cheiron -- please post this statement on the PM Board .... this is exactly how I feel about the "prog or not prog" theory which is formulating out of this thread.... I know what you're asking and what you're looking for in the music, but somehow that prog definition thing always arises.....

Your explanantion is as good as it gets without going into the damn definitions again..... excellent post.......

An enlightened post sir!

One thing I would think you could trend as well is the advanced techiniques you reference. Are we talking about pure techinical skill (ie shred), time signatures, off beat, musical composition. If prog is becoming melodic could it just be that many bands are advancing better writting techiniques?

If you do find a good place to find out about this type of band let us know. I'm going to stick to trusting others and using internet radio for the time being. PRM hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Zero Hour http://www.myspace.com/zerohourband if thats the type of aggressive you're talking about.

Lance King's The Shopp podcasts are on my mp3 player regularly. I've only used myspace maybe.. once or twice this entire year... I just don't like using it. BeyondEarCandy is back up so I'm starting listen to their stream more. I also discover bands via last.fm recommendations. I used to only find about other bands via torrents (I've turned retail) - thats one of the main reasons why I'm an attendee of PPUSA in the first place.

Like Scott, I am generally disinterested in standard prog metal, and I also yearn for more complex, heavy prog metal albums like those in my list below. However, thanks to a similar thread on PM Rising I have two new albums to check out:

Clandestine - The Invalid
Heaven If - Introspectral

Based on their myspace songs, I do not consider either to be in the general realm of those on my list below, but both sound promising. I get a bit of a Mythological vibe from Clandestine, which is a good thing.

My list:

All That I Bleed - Dying to Remember
All Too Human – Entropy
Caveat - Red
Catharsis - Pathways to Wholeness
Complex 7 - c7.09 EP
Complex 7 – Process
Demimonde - Mutant Star (clean and harsh vox)
Edenshade - The Lesson Betrayed (clean and harsh vox)
Forces at Work - Reverse Feng-Shui Audio Guide EP (clean and harsh vox)
Fragile Vastness - Excerpts...
Goldenseed - Collector of Illusions (clean and harsh vox)
GracePoint - Science of Discontent
GracePoint - Full Circle Demo
Heaven’s Cry - Primal Power Addiction
Hypnotheticall – In Need of a God? EP
Hypnotheticall - Thorns
Implosion - Lucidity in Quietus
Malpractice – Triangular (not overly proggy, but it was mentioned in this thread and it is awesome. Deviation from the Flow is also good, but even less proggy.)
Mythologic – Standing in Stillness
Newbreed - Child of the Sun
Power of Omens - Eyes of the Oracle
Power of Omens - Rooms of Anguish
Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace
Pyramid - The Immaculate Lie
Random Mullet - Remission EP (clean and harsh vox)
Random Mullet – Infection EP (clean and harsh vox)
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Redemption - The Origins of Ruin
Scenery – Continuity (rough vox)
Sieges Even – Life Cycle
Sieges Even – Sophisticated
Spiral Architect – A Sceptic’s Universe
Suspyre - When Time Fades…
Talamasca - Ascension
Talamasca – Projection
Taramis - Stretch of the Imagination
Tears for the Dead Gods - s/t
ThanatoSchizO - Zoom Code
Thought Industry - Songs for Insects
Thought Industry - MODs Carve the Pig (clean and harsh vox)
Twisted into Form - Then Comes Affliction to Awaken the Dreamer
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium (clean and harsh vox)
WatchTower – Control and Resistance
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver
Zero Hour - Towers of Avarice

Their s/t album was released in 2009. A very good album. If you want more of that experimental style, check out Tub Ring, they released an excellent album just recently.