Are you riding the Waves?

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
I am a newbie here and this is my first post.

Being my first post I thought I would start with a rant.
That should get me popular in no time. lol.

Before I start my little rant, however, I just want to comment on how amazing this forum is and that I have learned so very much from you all and I thank you every day I read this, which I have been doing every day for months now.

Plugins are amazing in that you can take a perfectly shit mix, :puke: chuck a few plugins on each track, :Spin: quantise the shit out of it, :err: and end up with a half decent mix. Maybe not an Andy mix :worship: but compared to what it was before 1000 hours of editing it sounds like gold shit at least :bah:.
Before plugins there was no rescue mission, if you could not get it on tape you had no business being in the studio in the first place. This also meant the musicians had to be far tighter and more diciplined as there was no one to wipe their musical booty if they missed a note or played off time. (And yet now even though we have unlimited undos, retakes and drop ins we still need someone to tighten it up a bit more lol)
This has also brought about a new generation of lazy, un-rehearsed musicians. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "yeah I fucked the riff up but you can fix it later,eh?" I'd have $57.
Not only do these plugins perform absolute miracles but they are also easily available and compared to the cost of its hardware equivalent, a mere drop in the ocean.

This brings me the main point of my rant. The cost of plugins.

At the upper end of the scale Waves and UAD produce some of the finest, albeit most expensive, plugins but are they worth the thousands of dollars you could pay for a suite of these shit shining beauties?
I say HELL YEAH!
For a home recordist that may never get to step foot in or work in a major studio, plugins are the only way we have to come close to sounding (or feeling)like a pro. Yes they are expensive to the average jo at home, but then we are not exactly their target market for the plugins they produce so they owe us no apoligies for that. At the end of the day a HUGE amount of time, money and most importantly a seasoned proffesionals opinion goes into the creation of plugins and that counts for something damn it!
I am willing to admit that when I first started I was guilty of using a few 'interesting' versions of various programs I found on the net, but as time went by I slowly brought one at a time as I figured out which ones I could not live without in my virtual rack, some of which are freeware.

We Dont need 100 different comps, 23 different delays, 107 reverbs and 43 gates but once you download a few bundles and look at the list it LOOKS expensive and makes you think you could never afford to go legit, so you never do.
But, if you narrow it down to the vital must have list the cost will be far more acheivible and with a bit of a savings plan you could be legit within a few short years.(take advantage of demos to figure out what you must have for your sound and production style)

So an emulation of a commpressor may cost a few hundred dollars, so what? The real life equivilant (if you could find one) was probably worth 10 x that amount and they dont come with presets!
Some other plugin brands such as Voxengo and Stillwell Audio make some incredible plugins, most of which are below $100, now come on give me an excuse to justify not being able to afford that, you have been charging people to record them, haven't you?

It makes me angry when people complain about the price of plugins.
Don't get me wrong, I am in the "I need them or I will sound like shit" catagory too, that is why I am happy to pay for these plugins because without them I would still sound like the worst kind of shit. But it is a different thing, I think, to use them every other day after downloading them illegily and then complain about the price as if your download was in some kind of protest to 'the man' at head office. Trust me, you will be the one complaining when the company goes bust and can no longer produce plugins for you to download.

I only put the internet 2nd because this has purely been the vehicle for the widespread use of plugins. I considered it being first on the list but changed my mind. Feel free to disagree.

Thanks for listening. I needed to get that off my chest.

I took out a loan and bought the following...
  • 003+ rack
  • rosetta 800
  • dangerous dbox
  • neve 1073 dual pre
  • 737 pre
  • a u87
  • a 414
  • stereo pair k2s
  • sm7 and some 57s
  • waves mercury
  • dynaudio bm5as and sub
With a part time job and the money I get from recording local acts and doing live gigs... I make my monthly payments and then some.

Point of the story: I hate when people whine about $$$. If you truly want something, you can get it. Legally.

I'm not sure if your point got through to me, but if you were saying that you think that people should buy stuff instead of stealing it, I agree.

If you can't afford Waves, you don't get Waves. You'll do just fine with cheaper plugins. If a person is that good he REALLY needs a collection of Waves plugins, he usually has the money for them.

And of course, the tools aren't the definition of the quality of your work. Some people make shit with golden tools while others make pure gold using shitty tools.

Welcome to the forum!

At the upper end of the scale Waves and UAD produce some of the finest, albeit most expensive, plugins but are they worth the thousands of dollars you could pay for a suite of these shit shining beauties?
I say HELL YEAH!

And actually for example the Waves Diamond bundle is actually pretty fucking cheap; You get like 52 plugins + all their variants at the price of around 2000€, which brings down the price of invidual to about 25€ per plugin, which literally is NOTHING.

I made it through the wilderness
Somehow I made it through
Didn't know how lost I was
Until I found you

I was beat incomplete
I'd been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
Shiny and new

Chorus:

Like a virgin
Touched for the very first time
Like a virgin
When your heart beats
Next to mine

Gonna give you all my love, boy
My fear is fading fast
Been saving it all for you
'Cause only love can last

You're so fine and you're mine
Make me strong, yeah you make me bold
Oh your love thawed out
Yeah, your love thawed out
What was scared and cold

(chorus)

Oooh, oooh, oooh

You're so fine and you're mine
I'll be yours 'till the end of time
'Cause you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
I've nothing to hide

(chorus)

Like a virgin, ooh, ooh
Like a virgin
Feels so good inside
When you hold me, and your heart beats, and you love me

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Ooh, baby
Can't you hear my heart beat
For the very first time?

If you get lucky like me you can grab Waves for $1600. Was the best investment I ever made in my opinion. Granted i do have a full time job and make good money, but I say for anyone who is really serious about getting into recording bands and not doing ti as a hobby you should ... no .. YOU NEED to invest the money in some quality plugins.

Also learn how to use your plugins, ESPECIALLY compression. 9 times out of 10 you ask "engineers" about compressors and no one understands ratios or how a comp even works! let alone what it can do to aspects of the mix. Took me quite a few months to figure it out and see how it affected certain things in a mix.

I love my Waves plugins and I am looking forward to saving up for the new CLA plugins :)

i use a lot of pt plugins... i.e. digirack. (some pretty underrated stuff).

pt/hd hardware is a fair amount as well... and for the most part, you can't really get away with not paying for it... and i am not the first person to say this... but, "it's not the plug ins you use, it's how you use them."

i know that isn't entirely your point but the fact is... whether you purchase the software or not, this clairity of your skills will shine through the converters you use and people will always ask you "how did you get it to sound so clear?"

EDITED:
at the end of the day; an audio signal processing algorithm is just a series of scripts and impulse responses simulating an overtly analog function. there is no mystery as to how these things work. (but apparently there is).

with any mixing essentials there are explicit alternatives: i use all of them but i feel my good mixes are a result of the converters i own.

i was infact referring to plug ins... which are of course a result of simulating an older yet more methodical mechanism ...i.e. optical compressor/tube distortion/tape saturation.

i should have been more clear as the state of which algorithm i was referring to.

yeah tbh its me being a bit fussy with certain words, its not important haha.

even still, my point was that in fact many plugins aren't based on impulses - the code will relate to the maths required to process the audio in the same way the hardware would. also using mechanical usually to me relates to something moving.

yeah tbh its me being a bit fussy with certain words, its not important haha.

even still, my point was that in fact many plugins aren't based on impulses - the code will relate to the maths required to process the audio in the same way the hardware would. also using mechanical usually to me relates to something moving.

the title of this thread had mentioned waves... so i assumed that waves plug ins were to speak of in context. with the exception of any waves tbp, the other code is strictly in regards to impulse response i.e. la3a/2a, cla76 etc.

i do however understand that a lot of signal processors are purely based on rich path extensions and scripting. this must have been misconstrued semantically.

also, i felt analog was an inferior description for something like a tape machine seeing how they operate on motion (in which i still do mean 'mechanical') ...the methodology i was also describing in an optical compressor is a form of mechanics... for instance the teletronix la2a uses optical components to effect the attack/release characteristics.

this is a primitive form of mechanical/electrical engineering in relationship to the current integrated circuits that are developed today.

but like i said, semantics.

I am a newbie here and this is my first post.

Being my first post I thought I would start with a rant.
That should get me popular in no time. lol.

Before I start my little rant, however, I just want to comment on how amazing this forum is and that I have learned so very much from you all and I thank you every day I read this, which I have been doing every day for months now.

Plugins are amazing in that you can take a perfectly shit mix, :puke: chuck a few plugins on each track, :Spin: quantise the shit out of it, :err: and end up with a half decent mix. Maybe not an Andy mix :worship: but compared to what it was before 1000 hours of editing it sounds like gold shit at least :bah:.
Before plugins there was no rescue mission, if you could not get it on tape you had no business being in the studio in the first place. This also meant the musicians had to be far tighter and more diciplined as there was no one to wipe their musical booty if they missed a note or played off time. (And yet now even though we have unlimited undos, retakes and drop ins we still need someone to tighten it up a bit more lol)
This has also brought about a new generation of lazy, un-rehearsed musicians. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "yeah I fucked the riff up but you can fix it later,eh?" I'd have $57.
Not only do these plugins perform absolute miracles but they are also easily available and compared to the cost of its hardware equivalent, a mere drop in the ocean.

This brings me the main point of my rant. The cost of plugins.

I say HELL YEAH!
For a home recordist that may never get to step foot in or work in a major studio, plugins are the only way we have to come close to sounding (or feeling)like a pro. Yes they are expensive to the average jo at home, but then we are not exactly their target market for the plugins they produce so they owe us no apoligies for that. At the end of the day a HUGE amount of time, money and most importantly a seasoned proffesionals opinion goes into the creation of plugins and that counts for something damn it!
I am willing to admit that when I first started I was guilty of using a few 'interesting' versions of various programs I found on the net, but as time went by I slowly brought one at a time as I figured out which ones I could not live without in my virtual rack, some of which are freeware.

We Dont need 100 different comps, 23 different delays, 107 reverbs and 43 gates but once you download a few bundles and look at the list it LOOKS expensive and makes you think you could never afford to go legit, so you never do.
But, if you narrow it down to the vital must have list the cost will be far more acheivible and with a bit of a savings plan you could be legit within a few short years.(take advantage of demos to figure out what you must have for your sound and production style)

So an emulation of a commpressor may cost a few hundred dollars, so what? The real life equivilant (if you could find one) was probably worth 10 x that amount and they dont come with presets!
Some other plugin brands such as Voxengo and Stillwell Audio make some incredible plugins, most of which are below $100, now come on give me an excuse to justify not being able to afford that, you have been charging people to record them, haven't you?

It makes me angry when people complain about the price of plugins.
Don't get me wrong, I am in the "I need them or I will sound like shit" catagory too, that is why I am happy to pay for these plugins because without them I would still sound like the worst kind of shit. But it is a different thing, I think, to use them every other day after downloading them illegily and then complain about the price as if your download was in some kind of protest to 'the man' at head office. Trust me, you will be the one complaining when the company goes bust and can no longer produce plugins for you to download.

I only put the internet 2nd because this has purely been the vehicle for the widespread use of plugins. I considered it being first on the list but changed my mind. Feel free to disagree.

Thanks for listening. I needed to get that off my chest.

So you're getting angry at people for getting angry at plugin prices?
Well then I'm getting angry at you for getting angry at people for getting angry at plugin prices.

There are a few plugins which you could easily replace with free alternatives, especially EQs and compressors. Anything that doesn't rely on complex algorithms really. But apart from the often subjectively workflow-enhancing GUIs and professional customer support, it's been mostly the plugins that are based on more complex algorithms that made the acquisition worthwhile. "Intelligent" loudness maximizers, pitch- and timeshifters, high quality reverbs and saturators etc.