Arggh. What's a word that means "to make useless"?

Marilyn-

We do have one motherboard, but it's inside of a computer - removal of it would result in the emasculation of said computer, so I don't know if we want to go ahead and do that just for this woman.

Wow, that fits in an eerie way.

Stick with "emasculation"!
exploresolanas.jpg

I was going to post a picture- I did a google search for "bowing chinaman" and came up with no results. Well, google "fixed my spelling" for me and gave me a pic of a bowling chinaman. So here you go:

china3.gif

I was thinking obviate which fits obliquely but not quite.
I'd go with disable or disenable or disactivate or deactivate.

"emasculate" is too much of a human trait. some guy would think you had a fetish with the computer or something, or getting judgemental about c chips.

thing about those terms is that, to me, they kind of imply that the computer is already running.. that it's already enabled.

This computer is off and has been sitting in storage for a while.. pretty much already disabled or deactivted... but those words don't really fit in that case either.

I'm just trying to say that if remove this motherboard, that computer will not be able to be used any more. But I want one word that sums that up.. maybe there just isn't one and I was imagining that I had one in mind?

Originally posted by FuSoYa

I'm just trying to say that if remove this motherboard, that computer will not be able to be used any more. But I want one word that sums that up.. maybe there just isn't one and I was imagining that I had one in mind?

hmm, I'm drawing blanks. I'd be interested in knowing the word too. Perhaps "devitalize"? -- too organic. uninstantiated? -nope. de-capacitate? -- my best try. but similar to the other words you don't like.