Arjen Lucassen unveils new project: Guilt Machine

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
Arjen Lucassen’s Guilt Machine

There's not been much news from us lately, but don't let that fool you. There has been a bustle of feverish activity going on behind the scenes here at the Electric Castle. With this update from ArjenLucassen.com we're excited to officially announce the details of Arjen's new project, Guilt Machine.

GUILT MACHINE
Arjen Lucassen: instruments, backing vocals
Jasper Steverlinck (Arid): vocals
Chris Maitland (ex Porcupine Tree): drums
Lori Linstruth (ex Stream of Passion): lead guitar

As Ayreon fans have come to expect from Arjen, the music of Guilt Machine ranges from dark and heavy to atmospheric and melancholic. But Guilt Machine introduces some new twists as well, particularly when it comes to the vocals. Rather than putting together an ensemble cast of vocalists from the prog, rock and metal scene, Arjen has enlisted the talents of a single alternative rock vocalist, Jasper Steverlinck.
I'm looking forward to checking this out since I've liked pretty much everything else Arjen is associated with (Ayreon, Stream of Passion, Star One, etc.). Not to mention Lori Linstruth is one heck of a guitar player. :headbang:

You can read more about the project here - http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=59300772&blogID=472570049

Who is Jasper Steverlinck?
This was the first I'd heard of him either. I had heard of Arid before, but never really checked them out. Here's a Arid video I found on YouTube:

There's also a pretty cool cover of him doing U2's Pride on YouTube that seems to give a good feel for his vocal abilities as well. The Arid wikipedia entry likens his vocals to that of Freddie Mercury.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far it seems like I will like this better than stream of passion, because I was never a big fan of that project. I like female vocals, but I can only take so much and I much prefer male vocals and I like this guys voice. I am getting tired of all these bands with operatic female vocals, it is just getting irritating to me, and the 1 band I love with female vocals just broke up, and that is After Forever, but that was because of the male vocals and agressive vocals thrown in.

So far it seems like I will like this better than stream of passion, because I was never a big fan of that project. I like female vocals, but I can only take so much and I much prefer male vocals and I like this guys voice. I am getting tired of all these bands with operatic female vocals, it is just getting irritating to me, and the 1 band I love with female vocals just broke up, and that is After Forever, but that was because of the male vocals and agressive vocals thrown in.

You're kidding me? After Forever is gone? Now I'm really kicking myself for not going to ProgPower a couple of years ago to see them. :erk:

From http://www.ayreon.com/aal/aa_news.html

Jul 07, 2009

Guilt Machine song sample and preorder

Guilt Machine audio samples posted!

If you visit the new Guilt Machine Myspace site, you can listen to the first song from the forthcoming Guilt Machine album "On this Perfect Day". We've uploaded the 12-minute song "Twisted Coil" in three parts.

Guilt Machine US release date set

USA -- 29 September.
Germany, Austria and Switzerland -- 28 August.
Rest of Europe -- 31 August.

Just listened to this last night and it sounds awesome. A must buy, I think :D

Can't listen here at work. Care to talk a bit about the song? What's it like musically? Is it heavy? Is it proggy? How's the singer?

Cheers!

Sounds real nice! I like this vocalist a lot. His voice is very smooth so far. I'm still on the first song, it's very much like an Opeth or Pain of Salvation mellow song ala "Death Whispered A Lullaby."

Part Two is a lot heavier, with some interesting effects, a 4/4 "rock n roll drum beat" for parts, some layered vocals, and an atypical song structure. Pink Floyd meets Megadeth? It doesn't change much as the song goes on... oh wait, I think I just heard some double-bass!

Part Three started pretty slow and seemed to repeat some of the theme from Part One, so I skipped ahead a bit. Jasper (vocals) really belts it out in this one! He doesn't scream, but he does get pretty intense. The song reminds me of MindFlow's "Just Water, You Navigate." There are lot of digital effects throughout the trilogy that are common in Ayreon songs, but they seem well-placed.

Overall, I like it, but it's nothing seriously groundbreaking. No huge solos or ridiculous tempos and time changes, but it's still very "proggy." Prog fans who want a little less "wankery" in their songs will love it.

I'm a sucker for most anything he puts together. I do sort of wonder why a new project though. The music is reminiscent enough of some earlier Ayreon music that it seems that it could fall under that category as well. Maybe the darker nature of it? Who am I to question the master.

I've been giving this quite a few listens since picking it up at PP. I'm really loving it. Still has that distinct Arjen sound and I love Jasper's voice. I think Perfection? is my favorite song on the album.
Mastodon's Crack the Skye seemed like a shoe-in for my album of the year since I hadn't been looking forward to much (and Orphaned Land's album keeps getting set back) but between this, Riverside, dredg, Devin Townsend, and DSO 2009 turned into a great year.

I really like this album, especially "Over". The vocals are awesome, the lyrics are better than most Ayreon stuff, and the music is good classic Arjen. No complaints.

Definitely one of my top albums of the year! I love Jasper's vocals, especially on the first track. The melodies are quite catchy for what I assume could only be called "ambient rock". I'd love to hear all of this live :D

I really like this album, especially "Over". The vocals are awesome, the lyrics are better than most Ayreon stuff, and the music is good classic Arjen. No complaints.

Lori Linstruth is the one who wrote them all for this album. She's done mostly guitar work for him on 01011001 and Stream of Passion.