Arjen Lucassen's Star One

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
As many of you will know, Dan features as one of the vocalists on Arjen Lucassen's new project, Star One. I was lucky enough to get my hands on the limited edition double disc book today :)p) and my first impressions are that this is great.

The music reminds me alot of Ayreon is some parts, but overall it's more metallic than anything he's done under that label, and the song structure is more linear, more akin to traditional heavy metal, rather than prog. There are 4 vocalists in all on the first cd (the bonus cd features Arjen and Dave Brock from Hawkwind) Dan Swanö, Russel Allen, Damian Wilson and Floor Jansen. As with Arjen's other metal/prog operas, each of them play characters in the different storys of the album. Each song is based on a sci-fi movie, with the vocalists playing characters from them (Dan plays Luke Skywalker in one song :D). Dan's vocals are great as usual, and he uses his deep voice for most of the album, (the type he used on most of Crimson) I just miss his "young" sounding voice from Nightingale, it's definately underused. Overall, this didn't immediately impress me as much as Into the Electric Castle, but any Dan-collectors and Ayreon fans, and those who wish Ayreon sounded heavier should enjoy this.

Hey..Ormir, you'll get plenty of my "young" voice on the upcoming album. All the new material is more live based and therefor the vocals are more in the midrange since no PA in the world can make justice to the really deep stuff, and people like to hear the voice when they go to shows, right...

Rock on

I'm off to the studio loading a bunch of gear

D

--I'm off to the studio loading a bunch of gear --

Yes, Nightingale will start recording on Friday, right? I'd like to know for how many days you've booked the studio. Good luck for the recording!

We have the studio for like 12 days I think, then I will start to write the lyrics and stuff for a while then do the vocals a couple of times to get it all to flow real nice and then hell beings..the mix!!
I have taken 2 months off my job and I plan to spend a lot of this time on this album
D

@Dan: Excellent news!

@Nightfall: You won't find ET on this album, all of the songs take place in space :p

@Light: Which Sci-fi movies did you spot? I'm not very educated on the subject, although I got a few of the more obvious ones:

3. High Moon - Totall Recall?
5. Master of Darkness - Star-Wars
6. The Eye of Ra - Stargate
7. Sandrider - Dune?
8. Perfect Survivor - Alien

Those are the ones I got, I'm pretty sure I've seen the movie Inseperable Enemies is based on, but I can't remember the name.