Arkhon Infaustus - Orthodoxyn

TheWyvern

Oct 22, 2006
Arkhon Infaustus - Orthdoxyn
Osmose Productions – No Barcode – Out Now
By Dan Fisher

arkhon-infaustus.jpg

Now, I've read a few reviews branding this band 'evil' which I think smacks of rather lazy journalism. Evil is something that is subjective and really is a westernised way of framing 'the other' who doesn't fit into a Christianised way of thinking. Sometimes a band may call themselves evil in order to directly oppose the ideas of organised religion. But, in the Christian sense of the word, who are the malefactors that take barbary, brutality and jingoistic tendencies to a new extreme? People who follow these subversive cults, thats who. This is not meant to be a religion bashing review. I am merely suggesting to anyone wishing to categorise Arkhon Infaustus as evil (or any other band for that matter) that they should think about the meaning of word. Now to the music.

Arkhon Infaustus play atmospheric brutal death and with Orthodoxyn they have made a densely macabre slab of cryptastic metal. The style reminds me of Vital Remains, where the music is deliberately atonal in a way that pushes the very boundaries of what can be considered as listenable. Every pregnant pause is left dripping with malice which usually give way to inhuman screams that will chill even the battle hardened death fan. While the album works very well as a whole, the individual tracks are far from classics and lack the ‘je ne sais quoi’ to lift them to truly brilliant status. My favourite track is 'Behind the Husk of Faith' which has a quiet breakdown where a member of the band recites a litany for religion over melancholic guitars. Overall a strong album but lacks stayability.

Official Arkhon Infaustus Website
Official Osmose Productions Website