Armored Saint..its 1987 all over again...

I didn't know anything about Armored Saint other than it's the band that John Bush was in before (and after) he joined Anthrax, but I'm definitely going to check out more by this band. That was an awesome show, especially as the band overcame some technical problems. Book of Blood could have been a disaster as there wasn't the guitar duel, but (Jeff?) took over and turned the moment on its ear, delivering a blistering solo that defined the evening. Great job guys.

Edit: I also loved John's comment that Jeff won the supposed guitar duel.

It was interesting as their gear issues seemed to have a domino effect (all three of them had problems at one point) But completely didn't phase them at all. Was even more impressed they rolled into another song with only Jeff on guitar. True old school right there just saying f**k it we came to rock.

I didn't know anything about Armored Saint other than it's the band that John Bush was in before (and after) he joined Anthrax, but I'm definitely going to check out more by this band. That was an awesome show, especially as the band overcame some technical problems. Book of Blood could have been a disaster as there wasn't the guitar duel, but (Jeff?) took over and turned the moment on its ear, delivering a blistering solo that defined the evening. Great job guys.

You cannot go wrong with first 3 albums. Classic US heavy metal.

The Saint was great! Too bad they didn't close the festival. I just wish that Bush was a little bit stronger vocally, but they looked and sounded great after all of these years. The set list was almost perfect!

The Saint was great! Too bad they didn't close the festival. I just wish that Bush was a little bit stronger vocally, but they looked and sounded great after all of these years. The set list was almost perfect!

I have to disagree, because despite his age I thought he sounded amazing and was getting much higher than I expected him to. I was REALLY wanting to hear "Raising Fear" but I can understand why they didn't do it because of the highs in the chorus.

Great set; I'm glad they got through all the tech issues.

On another note, I said it when Fates Warning played, and I'll say it again, Joey Vera stole the fucking show. It isn't often that happens with a bass player, but the dude can play and is definitely my favorite bassist.

Bush sounded amazing for a near 50 year old,most underrated metal vocalist out there..
and yeah,Vera is as amazing presence on stage for a bass player as anyone I have seen at the fest

The bass gear was actually Joe's own wireless.. it just died at random. As we had set up during sound check, he had a cable ready for back-up. It mader for a relatively smooth, pro changeover for him and it didn't throw him all that much. As he said - :"s**t happens".
I spoke to them after the set (and again at airport and via email).. it was just a weird set of timing. They said it was still fun for them,. even with the challenges.
The other gear issues are being addressed.

What? I thought his vocals were as strong as ever, and maybe even more powerful than in 1985... Bush totally ruled, as did the rest of the band. Killer set.

Totally agree with you Guillaume. One of the best performances of the festival. I give Bush the award for most intense performer.

His voice was close to perfection and I hope I have half of his energy when I turn 50. WOW!!!!!!!!

Steve

I give Bush the award for most intense performer.

Steve

I loved Bush energy, which was really impressive for a guy who just turned 50, but for me the most intense performers (including the singer) were Sabaton. Most likely the most energetic band in metal today. These guys are so intense live.

I was fortunate enough to run into Jeff Duncan and John Bush as I was leaving to go to the Marta. My first words to John was "Phenomenal show, it is like time stood still and your voice is better than ever." Armored Saint was my second favorite show (Myrath being the first because I was totally blown away by their set). John was truly appreciative. I sure as hell hope this prompts them to do another AS album!!! 1987 I had just turned 18 and this band was the shit back then, so glad to see them still going!

A little bit stronger?

This cannot be a serious post.

John sounded better at that show, than on his album recordings!!! Thirty years in the business, and he sounded flawless!!!

Dave Mustaine doesn't sound good anymore, James Hetfield softens up his growling, even Geddy Lee strains to hit his old songs!

That and I think he's training for a prize fight.... he could juke n' jive across that stage like Mohammad Ali! Incredibly entertaining show!

The bass gear was actually Joe's own wireless.. it just died at random. As we had set up during sound check, he had a cable ready for back-up. It mader for a relatively smooth, pro changeover for him and it didn't throw him all that much. As he said - :"s**t happens".
I spoke to them after the set (and again at airport and via email).. it was just a weird set of timing. They said it was still fun for them,. even with the challenges.
The other gear issues are being addressed.

You guys did great job, plus it was actually fun to see how they handled themselves as seasoned vets and adjusting to issues coming up. Especially when they just decided to keep rolling through the set as a quartet. haha. Made their already impressive set look even better since they handled it all so well and never really stopped playing.