Arsis-A Celebration of Guilt

AmirH

meh
Aug 12, 2003
seattle
Arsis is a two man melodic death metal band who create a bigger sound then most of their contemporaries could even hope to attain. Not since slaughter of the soul, has a there been a melodic death metal release this original. It's fast, technical, and fucking brutal without sacrificing melody and without wanking around in major key flights of fancy or excessive solo's. Jim Malone absolutely shreds on the guitar, his bass lines are too the point, and his vocals aren't bad either. Mike VanDyne, is one of the craziest mofo's I've heard behind the trap ever. He has the aggression of Kevin Talley and the precision of Gene Hoglan. If nothing else buy this record for the drumming.

The lyrics, though trite, have all the qualities one would come to expect from a death metal record without making the song seem more epic then it really is. They are screamed out in an almost black metal growl, that brings to mind bands like satyricon. It's nice to hear a change from the typical cookie monster growls of the genre.

Sadly, the record is not perfect. It suffers from a production that doesn't quite fit their style in my opinion. It was produced in hit and run studios, the same studio that produced the latest misery index album and it shows. It has an almost grindcore mix, so sadly many of the complex melodies are often hard to hear behind the ever present double bass kicks and rhythm guitar. It doesn't damage the record too badly however, and a new listener will STILL be blown away but for those of us who have heard the bands demos, this may be a bit annoying.

I don't think there's a bad track on the album, but stand-outs include elegant and perverse, worship depraved, dust and guilt, and the awesome maddening disdain.

Overall, I think this is bound to be the one of the most essential death metal releases of the decade, despite its quirks. And the best part was it was only 10 bucks! That's WITH shipping. My advice-buy it...NOW!

Arsis = Brilliant

I wish they would have re-recorded some songs from their first demo, although hopefully they do indeed release a limited vinyl with 2 re-recorded songs from first demo (like their site says).

i don't see how ANYONE could have problem with the production, but then again production is pure opinion. i'm really anal about production and so is arsis and both the band and myself were extremely happy with the end result.

a celebration of guilt is the best melodic death metal release in a long long long time.

oh, new misery index wasn't recorded at hit and run, only their debut mcd overthrow was. new one was recorded in quebec with the kataklysm dude

spread the word, this is an album not to be missed.... its one of the releases i'm most proud of. in my eyes its pretty much perfect as far as artwork, production, songs, etc.

tipton said:
i don't see how ANYONE could have problem with the production, but then again production is pure opinion. i'm really anal about production and so is arsis and both the band and myself were extremely happy with the end result.

a celebration of guilt is the best melodic death metal release in a long long long time.

oh, new misery index wasn't recorded at hit and run, only their debut mcd overthrow was. new one was recorded in quebec with the kataklysm dude

spread the word, this is an album not to be missed.... its one of the releases i'm most proud of. in my eyes its pretty much perfect as far as artwork, production, songs, etc.

Oops, my bad. It still sounds like a grindcore production to me though man. Listen to the old elegant and perverse demo and then listen to the album. The leads are way too far back in the mix, and it makes the music sound a bit less complex then it really is. Like I said though, it's just a bit annoying-nothing huge. Besides, it's not as bad through good headphones, but not everyone listens to music in studio headphones either. I don't know, like you said, it's opinion.

As far as the music goes though, their song writing is absolutely some of the highest quality melodic death writing around. They're really even more brilliant then I gave them credit for in my review, even though I spent most of the time kissing their asses in it. I mean, when the only possible thing a band can do to improve their fucking debut is to put the hooks more in the forefront of the mix, I think they've done a damn fine job wouldn't you say? And besides, I'm obviously the only one who had a problem with the mix so it's pretty close to perfect.

The only complaint I have about this album (besides not having anything from their first demo) is the solos in "Elegant and Perverse." I think they are a lot better on the demo but hey, this album still kicks serious ass.

This has my vote for best of 2004.

the band made the album exactly as they wanted and intended...how anyone could possibly think the demo productions are better is beyond me.

you'll realize this more as you listen the album, especially if you had the demos before. i know at first some of the old songs that i was used to hearing on the demos sounded different of course.

Caelum Adustum said:
I like the production...

@crimsonchin: Are you talking to me or Tipton about the demo?

I was talking to you. And to Tipton, it's probably just that I was really used to the way the demos sound so the change will just take some getting used to I guess.

Caelum Adustum said:
Well, I have both of their demos, but I do not know what "the Hub" is..:oops:

Paladin.sublevels.net on direct connect. It's the official "ultimate metal" hub. If you don't use direct connect though, I got no problem with using an instant messenger instead. I've got some rare stuff from another band that's just now taking off if you wanna trade.

I don't have direct connection as far as I know.

Do you want to trade over AIM? And do you want just the first demo, or the second one as well?

I don't have time right now to do anything, but I should tomorrow.

Caelum Adustum said:
I don't have direct connection as far as I know.

Do you want to trade over AIM? And do you want just the first demo, or the second one as well?

I don't have time right now to do anything, but I should tomorrow.

I don't have aim right now, but I'll go ahead and get it since I've been meaning to anyway. I'd like the second one as well if your ok with that. I've only got five or so of their old tracks. Thanks!

btw, you can get direct connect here:

http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/

It's a great p2p program and there's a lot of great bootlegs on the ultimatemetal hub, not to mention any metal album you could possibly want.

I've got some bad news Crimson, I can't seem to get the songs to record from CD to my cpu.

Hopefully I'll get it to work soon, I'll let you know.

Caelum Adustum said:
I've got some bad news Crimson, I can't seem to get the songs to record from CD to my cpu.

Hopefully I'll get it to work soon, I'll let you know.

Wow really? That's weird. Try using windows media player. Wma preserves the sound quality better anyway.