Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
As I Lay Dying – Frail Words Collapse
Metal Blade Records – July 1st 2003
By Russell Garwood

As I Lay Dying play metalcore with clear Gothenburg leanings, melodic phrases and occasional yet distinct hardcore-influenced disharmonies. This makes for interesting but not wholly original listening; the aggression-fuelled songs and strong melodies certainly convey plenty of emotion to compensate, however. Tim Lambesis’ vocals vary between effective spoken passages, hardcore-influenced shout/growls, and sporadic sung sections, amplifying dynamic and mood changes. The guitars of Jasun Krebs and Evan White utilise double lines and strongly Gothenburg-influenced melodies, with sharp riffage and precise solos, while the bass of Aaron Kennedy is slightly lower in the mix. Heavily triggered drums courtesy of Jordan Mancino can dominate, the mid-paced bass especially feeling far too prominent at times, but despite this they are well-performed and fitting.

This makes for an effective and accessible album, which is heavier than such metalcore tends to be, to the point of using occasional blasts. My only complaint would be that the twelve songs can begin to feel very samey at times, all relying on a very similar structure and sound – further variation would be welcome. This said, “Frail Words Collapse” is an impressive debut, which fans of Killswitch Engage-type metalcore will enjoy. As I Lay Dying are one of the more competent bands in a fast-growing genre, and I look forward to hearing further work.