As I Lay Dying-Meaning In Tragedy Remix (Stems Included)

The Production Geek

New Metal Member
Jun 22, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm the producer at James Z. Productions from Toronto and I did a remix and a playthrough video of my favorite band As I Lay Dying's Meaning In Tragedy, because I terribly miss the 2005 metalcore scene. Tell me what you think about the mix!

Feel free to download the stems, mix it and post it in there forum! I wanna hear how the exact same stems would turn out to be drastically different! :Spin:

Here is the video:

Here are the stems: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B09W4BWskR_tQkJwOXBSRnF0eWc

Tempo map is embedded in the drum midi.

Thanks! Remember to kindly give me some feedback on my mix!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tracks, dude! The guitars were tracked really tight!

What stood out the most to me in your mix was that the low end is really out of control. It's taking up almost the entirety of the mix. The drums and bass are also significantly louder than everything else.
Your guitars are a little dull, though you're definitely on the right track to getting the "Shadows Are Security" tone. They just sound like they're all mid-range, and nothing else.

Anyway, here's my mix:
[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/ctberger/as-i-lay-dying-meaning-in-tragedy-mma [/SOUNDCLOUD]

Thanks again for posting this!

Thanks for the tracks, dude! The guitars were tracked really tight!

What stood out the most to me in your mix was that the low end is really out of control. It's taking up almost the entirety of the mix. The drums and bass are also significantly louder than everything else.
Your guitars are a little dull, though you're definitely on the right track to getting the "Shadows Are Security" tone. They just sound like they're all mid-range, and nothing else.

Anyway, here's my mix:
[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/ctberger/as-i-lay-dying-meaning-in-tragedy-mma [/SOUNDCLOUD]

Thanks again for posting this!

Thanks for listening and doing a remix, and critiquing my mix!

Surprisingly, some of the producers I know actually told me that the low end is very tight and consistent and they liked the aggressiveness of the guitar tone. Of course it's a very subjective thing, and I do admit that my guitar tone is a bit dull. However, as you noticed already, I am trying to bring back the old sound, which was more raw and simple!

Your guitars and drums mix definitely sound more like the production nowadays! Good job! But I couldn't help but noticed a bit of digital clipping, especially on the right channel. Are you smash your limiter a bit too hard?

Tight playing man! I would change the kick sample, it has something annoying in the 100-200hz area(may fit with other styles), the guitar tone is insane! What are you playing through? I would also consider doing something with the bass, maybe give it more high-end definition using distortion on the upper frequencies. Will post a mix soon.

What happened to the bass track? All I got was a midi bass track.

I like the kick sample but it sounds a bit disconnected from the rest of the kit as the snare is much more natural sounding and darker. The final promo song has a much better snare sample than the AILD cover.

Here is my mix :wave:

I like the kick sample but it sounds a bit disconnected from the rest of the kit as the snare is much more natural sounding and darker. The final promo song has a much better snare sample than the AILD cover.

Thanks for listening and doing a remix! Yeah, my bassist didn't play the bass that well so I discarded it later.

I tend to try out different snare samples in different mixes. And what i like about this snare is it has a bit natural ringing and it has a bit more body to it. The snare in that promo song is actually a blend of two snares: a higher pitch one and a lower pitch one.

Your mix sounds really solid! Although I think the drums are a bit too loud and the guitars don't have enough gain! Good job! ;)

Thanks for listening and doing a remix, and critiquing my mix!

Surprisingly, some of the producers I know actually told me that the low end is very tight and consistent and they liked the aggressiveness of the guitar tone. Of course it's a very subjective thing, and I do admit that my guitar tone is a bit dull. However, as you noticed already, I am trying to bring back the old sound, which was more raw and simple!

Your guitars and drums mix definitely sound more like the production nowadays! Good job! But I couldn't help but noticed a bit of digital clipping, especially on the right channel. Are you smash your limiter a bit too hard?

I guess out of control was the wrong term. :lol:
I meant that it was taking over your whole mix. About mine clipping, it was a relatively quick master job for me, haha. But it wasn't clipping at all until I uploaded it to Soundcloud (surprise, surprise :bah:). The master .mp3 isn't clipping when played back through itunes, media player, etc. Oh, well!

Did you try match eq-ing the guitars? They have that super scratchy quality that Andy's mix has, but they're just missing that throaty, "thwop" pick attack.