As I Lay Dying "Through Struggle" Cover-(S2.0, Pod Farm, TSE X50)

IHHguitar

Jul 4, 2010
Chicago,IL
I got really bored yesterday and decided to record this :Smokedev:

So, here's the first mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9233272/Through Struggle (Cover).mp3

Guitars: Ibanez RGA121 with stock pickups
Tse808
Tse X50
and Travis's Mesa Impulses

Bass: Pitch shifted guitar track going through my bass patch in Pod Farm

Drums: Stock Avatar kit with the Rogers Wood snare and a splash from Metal Foundry

Lemme know what you guys think
Also, if anyone is interested in laying down vocals over this that would be sweet ;)

EDIT: Fixed broken link :)

im digging the guitars. something about it is weird but i love how it emphasizes pick attack. kick is also way too clicky. other than that, this is pretty awesome.

Dude, I love this guitar tone! As Kernelxsanders mentioned above though kick is clicky to the point where it is really harsh.
Could you send me a link to the Mesa impulses and kinda go a little more in detail with what you are doing on the guitars? I would love to have a sound like this for a production.

im digging the guitars. something about it is weird but i love how it emphasizes pick attack. kick is also way too clicky. other than that, this is pretty awesome.

Thanks! I'm all ready working on the kick. It was one of those things where I thought that I liked it for a while, but then realized how annoying it was soon after :loco:
I'm also planning on beefing up the snare a bit.

Dude, I love this guitar tone! As Kernelxsanders mentioned above though kick is clicky to the point where it is really harsh.
Could you send me a link to the Mesa impulses and kinda go a little more in detail with what you are doing on the guitars? I would love to have a sound like this for a production.

Thanks a lot, man! Here's the link to the thread with the impulses: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...sa-rectifier-impulses-3-poweramps-2-mics.html

I really didn't do too much to get this tone. The settings on the Overdrive were really straight forward
Drive:7 o'clock
Tone:About 10 or 11 o'clock
Volume:Noon
I used the EL34 power section in X50. The thing I love about Tse X50 is how realistically it responds. All I did was dial it in like I would any 5150 and WHAM! I was right where I wanted. Granted this tone isn't perfect by any means. I do enjoy it however.
As for post processing, I did very little. HP at 120Hz and LP at 12kHz. 2dB dip around 250Hz and 6dB dip at 4kHz with a very narrow Q. Other than that I used some slight multiband compression in the low mids, not much though as there were very few spots that needed it.
It should be reasonably easy to get a similar tone with any mahogany bodied guitar with decent passives.
Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

It sounds a bit "empty" to me if that makes sense, but I don't know why. Maybe more bass would be better, dunno. But I like the guitar tone a lot.

Digging the guitar tone, very edgy. Definitely too much click on that kick though.
Plus a lot of little errors in the drum programming. But thats just me being picky.

Nice work.

Thanks a lot :D
What specifically is wrong with the programming? I know of a few spots where I couldn't really tell what was going on in the original recording so I just kinda fudged my way through it :p

It sounds a bit "empty" to me if that makes sense, but I don't know why. Maybe more bass would be better, dunno. But I like the guitar tone a lot.

I think I just have the guitars a bit too loud and bright, so they're drowning out the bass a bit.

Really great sounding man. Its the kind of tone I've been trying to achieve but failing. I'm trying your exact set up right now, and still not getting your exact tone :/

nice guitar tone. real quick, how do you set your guitars for tracking? also, do you just start recording them raw or do you monitor with the amp sim as you record?

Really great sounding man. Its the kind of tone I've been trying to achieve but failing. I'm trying your exact set up right now, and still not getting your exact tone :/

Thanks again! :)
What gear are you using? Don't forget that much of my overall tone comes from the mix as a whole. It doesn't sound like this solo'd.

Nice guitar tone!

Thank you very much! :D

nice guitar tone. real quick, how do you set your guitars for tracking? also, do you just start recording them raw or do you monitor with the amp sim as you record?

Thanks, man.
I don't run, or use anything fancy. I run my guitars through a Presonus TubePre, which is an awesome little unit for the price, and then into my interface (Presonus Firepod).
I usually monitor with a quick Pod Farm preset, but for this I used the same set up that I ended up with in the mix above (with a few small tweaks after tracking).
I hope this helps :wave:

Thanks for the link IHHguitar. Helps A TON. I needed some mesa impulses in my arsenal.
Cheers dude!

No problem duder! I'm glad I could help out :D

Great tone, ill cover this as well, i love aild;)

Cool! Be sure to post it when you're done :saint:

Thanks, man.
I don't run, or use anything fancy. I run my guitars through a Presonus TubePre, which is an awesome little unit for the price, and then into my interface (Presonus Firepod).
I usually monitor with a quick Pod Farm preset, but for this I used the same set up that I ended up with in the mix above (with a few small tweaks after tracking).
I hope this helps :wave:

ah okay. so when you monitor with pod farm you set the signal dry from the pod farm mixer and then set your sims up right after tracking, correct? thanks for the info by the way :)

That sounds about right. Though, sometimes Pod Farm works better for a given track, so don't always count it out.

I'm glad to help!