As of May 24 2007, my body mass index is 24.4

Yeah, I stopped paying attention to BMI ages ago.

Last time I checked my BF% is was around 16.5%, but that was months ago as my current gym has nothing to measure it. I used one of those scales that you stand on with bare feet and it sends some signal through your body, or something. They did seem to fluctuate quite considerably and unexpectedly (1-2% either way) from week to week though, so I wasn't terribly convinced about how accurate they were.

My main aim now fitness wise is to get my BF down as low as possible. I've concentrated on weights now for a while and I reckon I'd look pretty good with a really low BF. For now however I just don't seem to have the discipline to do so. I eat really well during the week then weekends are just ridiculous!

OK so forget BMI and regular body weight.

I found a BF% calculator.

Jesus, my BF% is 21%. It says recommended should be 15%. My ideal body weight should be 154lbs.

Shit.

I wanted to get to 160lbs, but 154lbs seems like a long, long way off. This calculator doesn't take age into consideration!! [/excuses]

I found a BF% calculator.

Jesus, my BF% is 21%. It says recommended should be 15%. My ideal body weight should be 154lbs.
Don't trust it. Even the skinfold calipers typically give a reading that's off by 3% if the person is really good and 5% or 6% if they aren't. The only way to get a true reading hydrostatic weighing.

I wanted to get to 160lbs, but 154lbs seems like a long, long way off. This calculator doesn't take age into consideration!! [/excuses]
Measurements, mirrors and improvement at the gym are the best gauges of progress. Even the scale isn't great. For starters, people weigh more or less depending on the position of the moon. Second, the scale can't tell you when you're exchanging muscle weight for fat weight. Eat right and bust your ass in the gym. If you could only do 10 reps yesterday and you did 12 today and do 12 tomorrow, you're getting stronger.

As for your original question, 10% is the ideal BF% to get the washboard ab look.

Zod

Measurements, mirrors and improvement at the gym are the best gauges of progress.

Definitely. I just spent $400 on some new shirts and a pair of pants because the clothes I was wearing 5 months ago look ridiculous on me now.

Once the fat starts coming off, it really motivates you to keep going. That ON protein powder is the best thing I could have bought by the way, and it tastes fantastic.

What's the point of Protien, I guess I don't understand, and I'm too lazy to look it up.
Body recomposition requires an adequate supply of protein.

In essence, calories come from only three sources; carbs, fat and protein. While all are necessary, and diets that remove one completely are flawed, body recomposition requires 1.5 - 2.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. The way most people eat, they're not ingesting enough protein. Protein shakes are a good way to make up the difference and an excellent replacement for the workplace vending machine.

Zod

i read something about bmi being such a crock that jackie chan would be considered overweight (being so short), or something to that effect

It works the other way too - when I'm running regularly (i.e. when I'm not cooped up revising for exams, so most of the time) my BMI is lower than is "healthy" according to the charts. Considering the amount I eat, and how much exercise I do I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

According to JK's calculator my BF% is 12%, and I'm not entirely sure I trust that - by no means do I have a "washboard ab look". Either it's wrong, or - considering the fact I do have visible abs - it could be about right and down to the fact I don't do any weights, just running. I've been meaning to start weights for a long while now, but don't really know where or how to start - partly because I want to do it properly so need some decent advice (so if you have any it'd be appreciated...), and partly I need to work out how to fit the gym or weights into my schedule as easily as I do running. :)

It works the other way too - when I'm running regularly (i.e. when I'm not cooped up revising for exams, so most of the time) my BMI is lower than is "healthy" according to the charts. Considering the amount I eat, and how much exercise I do I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

According to JK's calculator my BF% is 12%, and I'm not entirely sure I trust that - by no means do I have a "washboard ab look". Either it's wrong, or - considering the fact I do have visible abs - it could be about right and down to the fact I don't do any weights, just running. I've been meaning to start weights for a long while now, but don't really know where or how to start - partly because I want to do it properly so need some decent advice (so if you have any it'd be appreciated...), and partly I need to work out how to fit the gym or weights into my schedule as easily as I do running. :)

there's a thread on RC called "how much you lift" or something like that... if someone can link it to you, there's plenty of info right there if you want to start doing weights.

How Much You Bench actually. It shouldn't be more than 5 pages back or so, if the search engine isn't working (and it never is)

To all you kiddies drinking beer and eating pizza:

Believe me, at 36, trying to lose the gut is very very difficult. I dropped from a 36" waist down to 33", and I'm trying to get to 32". Getting that last inch off is excruciating.

So the moral of the story is, switch to vodka and corned beef sandwiches while you still have a flat stomach.