Ashes against the grain LP's

shark22

RuffRyda
Oct 18, 2004
I went to Theend records website and pre-ordered the LP verson of Agalloch's ashes against the grain. They are limited to 1000 copies. I know that one on ebay is already going for over $50.00 and there are still 3 or so days left in the auction. Funny thing is, is that there are still copies available at the end records site for $16.99. Anyone else buying one? I am sure I could make some $$ in 2 years or so time. :kickass:

I know that one on ebay is already going for over $50.00 and there are still 3 or so days left in the auction. Funny thing is, is that there are still copies available at the end records site for $16.99.

Not any of the Limited of 200 copies white/orange mix ones...

Unfortunately I wasn't checking TER Website/Forum so I didn't catch when those went on sale, but the plain orange will suffice.

I was surprised to see The Grey EP CD going for $81 on eBay... I have 2 copies and only paid $3 each for them.

The Grey EP going for that much is ridiculous.

Actually, most of the prices that Agalloch stuff goes for is ridiculous... I'd like to see them re-print a lot of material just to piss off the "CD scalpers".

Now I'm just waiting to see if anyone decides to sell that Pale Folklore LP box set, and how much it goes for.:zombie:

why would anyone get so excited over an LP of this album.

Higher sound quality? Much better artwork? Plus mine is 150 gram clear orange vinyl. If you don't listen to vinyls and don't understand their virtues, then don't post in this thread.

Lol @ higher sound quality when it comes to a band that has been digitally recorded. Also, you would have to have a goddamn sweet vinyl player setup to notice the difference.. I have vinyls sweetheart. Just not of metal bands.

^ So what, you admitted yourself that vinyls sound better on the right equipment. Why bring up that you don't have metal vinyls?

vinyl, taking into account that the band recorded on analog equipment in the first place will definately be better than CD. But if its digitally done, then there is no real benefit anyway. and of course it will sound better on the right equipment.
I dont buy metal band vinyls because theres no point. it will sound pretty much the same as it will on the cd.

^ When I went to order they were already sold out. Did they go up before the other two? That's great for you, lucky bastard.

no they were available at the same time, i didnt know either, some diehard agalloch fan told me the second they were up so i ordered right away

vinyl, taking into account that the band recorded on analog equipment in the first place will definately be better than CD. But if its digitally done, then there is no real benefit anyway. and of course it will sound better on the right equipment.
I dont buy metal band vinyls because theres no point. it will sound pretty much the same as it will on the cd.

the rest of you morons- read this. i just don't agree with what i bolded, but the rest - chris has it down.

the way cds work and vinyls work is completely different and for that you can really hear the difference when a band has recorded on analog equipment. Cds work with sample rates where as a vinyl is just plastic with 'grooves' cut into it. the reason that it really benefits with analog recorded bands is because none of the original signal is lost because it is an EXACT replication of what was originally recorded. Where as a cd is literally samples done at a certain rate hence the difference in the quality that you will hear. I personally havent heard it when listening to say 'Still life' on vinyl,(except maybe the acoustics, although i dont know if they were done on analog equipment, im not sure) the differences i mean. Anyyyyway, problem being, you are only going to be able to hear the record a couple of times at MOST at the best quality, because as soon as you play it, the original tracks that are in the vinyl get worn away at the needle. Hopefully these DVD audio discs will be more readily available when it comes to metal bands as you will definately be able to hear a difference there as the sample rate is like 3 times that of a normal audio disc.

edit: <3 ken

If you want to get technical... it matters more if they were mixed and/or mastered digitally than recorded digitally when it comes to vinyl.

If they were recorded analogue but mixed and mastered (or just mastered) digitally they've already gone through the digital conversion process (and actually you're probably adding more noise to the signal from the extra digital to analogue conversion to put it on the vinyl).

If it was recorded and/or mixed digitally but mastered onto analogue tape and tape is used as the vinyl source, vinyl could be better. Some engineers even though it was recorded and mix digitally still like to master on tape though not near as common as the old days.

Actually though, sampling rate can come into play as well with vinyl. If it was digitally recorded/mixed in higher resolution than CD and used the pre-sample rate converted master as the source for the vinyl it would probably sound better.

Then again if the people making the vinyl suck or the equpiment is poor or not maintained or properly biased and aligned that can also detract from quality. Lots of variables with analogue unlike the digital domain which can be bit perfect...

That said, I still buy modern vinyl of the albums I really enjoy and have a decent listening setup. I just like the whole touchy feely hands on aspect and watching it spin, plus the giant artwork is cool. Some bands still only release their stuff on vinyl that I listen to as well.

And it's really sad that DVD Audio and SACD have been around for 7 years and haven't really taken off. They need to just kill the CD already.

/geek :p