Asking Alexandria for your personal Practice.

jimwilbourne

I try.
Aug 20, 2010
Boston, MA
a while back on the Sneap Forum someone posted steams to an Asking Alexandria song they covered.

it's only the beginning of the song and there are no vocals.
but for those of you who need something to work on, it's pretty useful.

I figured it'd be appropriate to post it here. being that this is Joey's forum and all.
btw, it's recorded wayy under tempo. haha I guess they couldn't play it fast enough.

enjoy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10367077/I Used to Have a Best Friend.7z

Sweet brotha thanks! This will be my first time taking practice tracks to mix myself. That being said, how do I know what tempo it is? And when I dragged/dropped the midi drums into my daw I get one midi file with all the hits on it. Is there an easy way to seperate Kick/snare/toms/everything else? Also, is that a Trillion Bass?

Sweet brotha thanks! This will be my first time taking practice tracks to mix myself. That being said, how do I know what tempo it is? And when I dragged/dropped the midi drums into my daw I get one midi file with all the hits on it. Is there an easy way to seperate Kick/snare/toms/everything else? Also, is that a Trillion Bass?

I don't remember off the top of my head.
when I dropped the midi into my daw, it set it up for me automatically. and I haven't used this file in awhile. I just ran across it randomly.

try this: start the file with the midi track. do an "open with..." function.
that should set it up in your daw with the tempo correct.
the downside of this, is that (unless you have a way of importing settings) you can't start the session with a track template.

I don't know of an ""easy" way to separate them. if I want midi drums separated, I usually just copy the midi track as many times as I need. and then delete the midi data on each that I'm not using.

there's a audio bass & a midi bass file.
so you can use both or pick one.

Cool cool. I figured I had to copy each hit midi hit and paste and paste them into a new midi track for individual mixing and fine tuning. I'll give it one last reference listen in my car later before I put it up here for you guys to check out.

a while back on the Sneap Forum someone posted steams to an Asking Alexandria song they covered.

Where did you find this on the Sneap forum? Because I recorded this and put it here. And its way under-tempo because I made the drum midi from a guitar pro file that I found and forgot to check it with the original :D

Where did you find this on the Sneap forum? Because I recorded this and put it here. And its way under-tempo because I made the drum midi from a guitar pro file that I found and forgot to check it with the original :D

Wow. I could have sworn I saw it in the sneap forum.
In that case this thread should be deleted all together. Pointless report.

But it's good practice if you wanna try new settings/plugins out

Cool now that we know where it came from, lets get to submissions and advice? I'd like to know how I can improve my mix.

Chill, this isn't Rate My Mix. Anyways, the mix is really quiet, my monitors are 3/4ths of the way up to get it to a listenable volume. The guitars are very quiet, and need to come up a good amount. They also sound like they have too much mid/high end, making them sound really nasally. The VST bass sounds like a piano, it needs a lot of velocity variation to get it sounding natural. It also just doesn't seem to fit with the guitars or fill in the low-end very well. The drums (the cymbals in particular) sound very, very fake and dry, they also need some velocity variations, reverb and EQing to make them sound less robotic. The kick is way too loud and the snare tends to get buried under everything else.

Chill, this isn't Rate My Mix.

My bad, I was excited to hear opinions on something new I tried, instead watching others figure out where it came from. Thank you for your input and I appreciate your advise. About it being quiet, that's the last thing I worry about. I didn't master this one haha which is why its quiet.