Astoria Gig 2nd October 2004

DirtySanchez

You're my wife now!!
Oct 31, 2002
Visit site
A great night. Good atmosphere and Saxon played for just over 2 hours. Nigel Glockler came on stage and joined the band for 'And The Bands Played On' and '747 (Strangers In The Night)'. As mentioned before no 'Denim and Leather' and they played 'Jack Tars' without 'English Man O' War' but this was probably down to the 10pm curfew at the venue more than anything.

Here's the setlist (in no particular order)

The Return (Intro)
Lionheart
Power & The Glory
Motorcycle Man
Never Surrender
Beyond the Grave
Flying On the Edge
The Eagle Has Landed
And The Bands Played On
747 (Strangers In The Night)
To Live By the Sword/Unleash The Beast
Heavy Metal Thunder
Broken Heroes
Dallas 1pm
Dogs of War
Strong Arm of the Law
Man and Machine
Searching For Atlantis
Jack Tars
20000 Feet
Wheels of Steel
Crusader
Princess of the Night

Yeah yeah!!! It was great gig!
After that dissapointing Dream Evil, Saxon came to stage and played one great setlist.
It was definately worth of coming over to see Saxon in Astoria London.

A top gig, great fun, loved the mini moshpit full of people a lot younger than me (I did join in every now and then though, this maybe why I was soooo tired on Sunday) and for the first time in what seems ages loads of people had brought their Air Guitars out and hadn't left them in the cloakroom !

Oh yeah and I collared a Glockler drum stick courtesy of me mate Beef Curtains(Pax and Sammi will know who I mean) !

CybErzi said:
Yeah yeah!!! It was great gig!
After that dissapointing Dream Evil, Saxon came to stage and played one great setlist.
It was definately worth of coming over to see Saxon in Astoria London.
Dream Evil, disappointing? I wasn't at the show (I'm in North America), but Dream Evil and Saxon are 2 of my fave bands. I've seen another review of the show that said Dream Evil ruled. Maybe you didn't know any of their songs? Dream Evil has 3 excellent albums out and plays traditional heavy/power metal stuff that should appeal to any Saxon fan IMO. I'd LOVE to see that double bill in North America.

BTW, I have the Lionheart MP3s for a while and think the album is great. I can't wait to receive my "real" copy, hopefully this week.

labrekk said:
Dream Evil, disappointing? I wasn't at the show (I'm in North America), but Dream Evil and Saxon are 2 of my fave bands. I've seen another review of the show that said Dream Evil ruled. Maybe you didn't know any of their songs?

Hey, relax!!!
There is nothing wrong with their music/songs. :headbang: I know Dream Evil Songs.
There was something disturbing with the sounds. Sounds were not clear enough, I think. Well, when DE played I was in balcony and I went downstairs when Saxon played.

Bloody great evening! Dream Evil IMO were actually pretty good; I have all 3 of their albums and think they are a good solid band and I was happy with their live performance. One guy right next to me (front right) was going utterly MENTAL for Dream Evil the whole way through the set, the entire band kept looking at him and the singer was pointing him out in recognition every 2 minutes -- obviously one of the serious, hardcore fans! They played mainly songs from their latest album and a few from the first, which was a slight disappointment for me because I think the 2nd album is by far the best they've ever done, but hey-ho.

However, put any band on the bill below Saxon and they're going to look a poor second in comparison, and that was certainly true at the Astoria. I'm in my early 20s and most of the audience around me were my age or younger -- Lionheart certainly seems to have attracted a new generation.

I put my hand up in a Dio-salute during one chorus and suddenly a crushing moshpit of gyrating bodies pushing forwards broke out all around me which packed me in so tightly I couldn't even find room to pull my arm down for the rest of the song because I'd have elbowed somebody in the head!

A good setlist I thought. I was well happy when they played Searching for Atlantis, like Crimson King its one of those songs everyone on here seems to hate but I love, and looking at the previous setlists that had been posted I hadn't expected it to get played. The mix of old-new worked on the night I thought.

The entire band were on form methinks. Jorg's drumming didn't sound out of place and I think he gave the best rendition of Dogs of War I have ever heard as well as being obviously very comfortable with the Lionheart stuff.

Criticisms? Well firstly one guy next to me during much of the Saxon set was acting like a complete arse the entire time. He looked like a teenager, had long blond hair and was wearing an Iron Maiden website t-shirt (the one with the yellow cartoonized Eddie). What a wanker! If Saxon hadn't been playing and I didn't want to get kicked out then there could have been a problem between me and him.

As for the band ... well, firstly, Lionheart's not an obvious opening number, it might have been more suitable mid-way through the set. And why oh why (etc) no Witchfinder General?

Anyhoo, none of that ruined a splendid night and it was good to see Mr Glockler behind the kit for 747 and Band Played On. Now lets hope the film they took that night gets released somewhere!

Hey first I wanna say hi :) And I want to thank you for the reviews!!!!! I can`t wait for the Saxon show, and your reviews just make me... you know :) I`m even more excited....... so thanks!!

As everyone has said, it was a good gig. Only a good gig for me though and not a great one.
The reason for this? The lack of atmosphere (Compaired to the normal awesome Cardiff gigs), the fact the George Michael played songs to fast at times and the lack of the band really getting the crowd going for the whole set. I think Lionheart didn't work as an opener and it started the gig on a slow point instead of the normal full on kick in the teeth.

When Nige Glockler came on the whole place seemed to get into it and the whole gig just got better. From Dogs of War onwards I moved further forward and ended up with Peter Day down the front (Hello again mate) and really enjoyed it.
So all in all another good Saxon gig, just not the best.

Hi Black Lagoon,

I don't want to sound picky, but I doubt it was Jörg who played songs "too" fast by his own intention.
He was before in bands where the leader (Axel Rudi Pell or Rock'n'Rolf) told him 100% what to play, at what speed, and prolly how he has to look and smile/or not while on stage.

I found Motorcycle Man also a bit too fast in Cologne, but I am 100% sure that it was 100% the way the band wanted him to play it, if you tell him: "Play it not with 196 clicks/min, play it with 182 click/min!" he would do it.

I doubt he is too blame alone.

I got some questions: how big is the Astoria venue? How many people do you think was there in the Saxon concert? Is it much bigger than Brixton Academy? Is it possible for Saxon to play ever again at Hammersmith?

Almogaver - The Astoria holds about 2,000 people I think. No it is not bigger than the Brixton Academy. It would be nice to see Saxon play the Hammersmith again, but it is probably unlikely. But who knows! Who would have thought that Motorhead would have played Wembley Arena, especially after all these years! But the way things are going, especially with the positive reviews 'Lionheart' has received, maybe Saxon might make it to the Brixton Academy, which would be a real achievement.