At Last - Interpretation

Dismal

Inside the Fall
May 27, 2001
Visit site
This is one of my favorite Katatonia songs, and I can relate to it in some ways, so here is my interpretation:

all my presence died today i breathe to memories
guess i'm closing down torn and tired of my heart's sound
what's worth to me when life's not around
i will sleep tonight to sleep tomorrow if i sleep at last

First off, I think this is about breaking up with a girlfriend or deep relationship or something. The guy's presence/soul died today and now he is tired of living. But maybe he's been worried about this a while and now that it is finally over he can stop worrying and sleep...not too sure about this.

a promise has been broken the essence of
love in rust one in a million i'm the one turning pale
any colours to express apart from bleak is hard
and where you are my thoughts are in guilt so forget me forget me not
time to catch something since my ticket says the end

This is the part that makes me think that it's about a relationship being broken. "The essence of love in rust." And he's turning pale and everything is so dark and morbid and it's basically the end of his life.

all my flowers withered today the room is quiet guess it's
growing cold dead calm without my heart's sound what's worth
to you when i'm not around i will sleep tonight
to sleep tomorrow
if i sleep at last

This is just a basic repeat of the first part of the song, except now it seems everything around him is dying. First his presence died, now his flowers are dying and his room has grown dead quiet. Not sure about the "what's worth to you" part.

Please add on!

Wow. Y'know, I looked at that ep yesterday, and I didn't have the slightest idea what he was on about. Glad to see someone has a clue :D

"any colours to express apart from bleak is hard"
I love that line, it's beautifully non-senseical (ok, I just know I spelt that wrong :lol: )

I agree with your interpretation, i would add that this song fits perfectly with the title " Sounds of Decay".
It expresses this sensation of loss, as if you were letting go everything and you don't feel the strenght to go on anymore...
i will sleep tonight to sleep tomorrow if i sleep at last
I love this sentence, this repetition of sleep, is like an action that you have to do every day and every time you go to sleep you know that the next day it will be the same, but you also know that it will come the day when you won't wake up anymore...
This "at last" gives me the idea of something extreme like death, but also something in a way comforting, peaceful, eternal sleep that brings peace to your heart.

All this further illustrates why I sucked at English in school, I just didn't get any of that :lol:

[edit] I mean "I couldn't see that in the lyrics", not 'I didn't understand the interpretation' ;)

YDG, trying to avoid looking like even more of an idiot

"all my presence died today i breathe to memories"
He/She lost his/her will to live.The only thing is to live for Memories.

"guess i'm closing down torn and tired of my heart's sound
what's worth to me when life's not around"

like the above he/she explains his/her worthless life without his/her love that's what he/she called life.

"a promise has been broken the essence of
love in rust one in a million i'm the one turning pale
any colours to express apart from bleak is hard"

He/She can not enjoy the life anymore.He/she thinks that "why are all these things happening to me?"

"and where you are my thoughts are in guilt so forget me forget me not time to catch something since my ticket says the end"

i can not understood this sentence perfectly but...His/her thoughts to his/her love (not the thought the feelings) his/her love is not pleased with these feelings.Because of feeling guilty he/she wants to be frogotten by his/her lover but he/she don't too (i love this choas) but i think there is something to be done before dying
-as i say i can not understand here clearly-

"all my flowers withered today the room is quiet guess it's
growing cold dead calm without my heart's sound what's worth
to you when i'm not around"

i can not understand here clearly too but for me he/she wants to kill his/her love maybe he/she did it.all my flowers (feelings) withered (die) today the room is quiet (you are not here [maybe world]) think what do you feel when you die without me without hearing my hearts sound without my feelings maybe and i think that's what he/she wait for-He/she gone insane i think-

"i will sleep tonight to sleep tomorrow if i sleep at last"

he/she killed his/her love now he/she is waiting for death

i love this song esp. the last sentence but for me this is quite understanble the other songs esp. the last ones is hard to understand.Can you interpreate last songs esp. kata's last cover "o how i enjoyed the light" i can understand anything about this song :)

uh and i forget the mention maybe he/she love has not been killed but die but i am sure about he/she gone insane

PS:You can feel insanity in "Brave Murder Day" in too.it is lyrics describes a mad or a drugger for me

I'd like to see an interpretation of "Instrumental". One of Jonas' finest lyric-writting efforts, the way he just takes the concept of the title and develops it, you really do get the feeling that it is an instrumental.

the sad thing is, I've been waiting for days for a good oportunity to say that. I know, I'm sad, I just suck at the whole analysis thing so I have to resort to bad jokes :p