TGCD lyrics, your interpretation

ether

°°§°°
Jan 14, 2002
Visit site
I think these lyrics need a little time to get in. They are quite “disturbed”, harsh and ”violent” but really effective and impressive.
I have read through this booklet a couple of times and the first thing that attracted my attention was the theme of sterile coldness and of course some other katatonic themes:
Here I’m trying to gather some semantic fields, just to get a general atmosphere.
Here are a few examples:
Incommunicability, Future of Speech themes, lack of freedom to express yourself (maybe in totalitarian regimes), etc:
My mouth was sewn (Leaders)
My mouth remains inactive (Deliberation)
Keep your last words in your hand (Soil’s Song)
My mouth is shut/stupidity have shut my mouth (Follower)
A wordless song I sing (Rusted)
The words are stones in my mouth (In the White)

Coldness:
I am ice (Deliberation)
Let the world be cold (Deliberation)
Winter state (Soil’s song)
Your tone change to cool (Follower)
Cold white spring (Rusted)
Soul cold (Increase)
Increase coldness (Increase)
The quiet cold of late November (In the White)
The quiet cold of inner darkness (In the White)
The great cold distance (The itch)
Only exception, July: “heat”, it gives a strange effect after all those iced visions….

Sickness/Visions/fever/ nervous breakdown/unease/crisis
Crossed the borderline […] I found something I’d never adjust to […] Transparent and played out […] but it’s coming undone…(Leaders)
Visions come […] In a sick bed (Deliberation)
False […] The dream is so far (Soil’s Song)
What is it coming to/I’m unwilling to go on (My twin)
A rush through the rusted veins […] The distorted views you had(Rusted)
The sever sickness in this room […] There won’t be a time I’m at ease […]As seen in the vision[…]Sick sleep sick dead earth (Increase)
Night devour me(July)
The itch/the urge […] Medicate/Kill the itch […] The lies the fever (The itch)

Light and illumination:
The red circles hold the only light (Deliberation)
Repeating cycle of light/no light
Saw you in the lampglow (Consternation)
When you clear the streets & kill the lights (Follower)
So I have a light (Rusted)
So I had a green light (In the White)
I was lost in the city lights (In the White)
Reduced illumination (The itch)

Ok this is getting very long, there is so much to analyse and write about, but it would be nice to post some of your interpretations, which are your favourite lyrics or just the feelings that these lyrics arouse in you, etc.
My favourite so far are "Follower", "In the White" and "July".

The lyrics are generally good, but like I already said in another thread:

"The only little complaint I have about the album is the over-use of the words 'I', 'you' and 'so' in the lyrics. I somehow noticed it and now I can't help but disliking it.
I'm training myself to ignore this though ;)"

Cerulean said:
The only little complaint I have about the album is the over-use of the words 'I', 'you' and 'so' in the lyrics."
This is probably what they call "more personal lyrics"? :)
This is a new touch, right. In the beginning it was hard for me to get into it, though I understood I immediatly would love the lyrics if it wasn't Katatonia, I howerever expected something more... hmm... warm. But from the second listen I began to discover all the pain that hides inside it and still doing this. So the lyrics is outstanding however, just great IMO

Hmm yeah but IMO not everything needs to be described from the 'I' or 'you' perspective. You can also describe personal situations in other ways.
But as I said, it's just a teeny weeny little complaint, and this album is their best album since Brave Murder Day.

Cerulean said:
Hmm yeah but IMO not everything needs to be described from the 'I' or 'you' perspective. You can also describe personal situations in other ways.
But as I said, it's just a teeny weeny little complaint, and this album is their best album since Brave Murder Day.

"I" "You" can be one person, sometimes the world, it depends on the way you see it.

Cerulean said:
The lyrics are generally good, but like I already said in another thread:

"The only little complaint I have about the album is the over-use of the words 'I', 'you' and 'so' in the lyrics. I somehow noticed it and now I can't help but disliking it.
I'm training myself to ignore this though ;)"

You know you just described a pop lyric's stigma right?

Lyrics : I've noticed that this time the lyrics are much more complex and refined, BUT much less emotive. Those words describe something to which I found difficult to relate. For example, in VE , when I listen to each song I create a picture in my mind, but this time I can't relate to those lyrics at all.
AND, this ISN'T the case of "displaced" & "dissolving bonds" : those 2 songs really incarnate the spirit of the Katatonia that I'm used to love, because it speaks directly into the heart.

But my opinion can change with time

Migs said:
Lyrics : I've noticed that this time the lyrics are much more complex and refined, BUT much less emotive. Those words describe something to which I found difficult to relate. For example, in VE , when I listen to each song I create a picture in my mind, but this time I can't relate to those lyrics at all.
AND, this ISN'T the case of "displaced" & "dissolving bonds" : those 2 songs really incarnate the spirit of the Katatonia that I'm used to love, because it speaks directly into the heart.

But my opinion can change with time

its because you want to find a meaning on the lyrics that is not according to the song, like most of the songs lime deliberation, soils song and leaders i see them as someone being opressed or about governments doing shit without givin a damn people, thats the way i see it, and yeah, i can make an image of what im listening.

For some reason, I intepret the lyrics to Leaders centering around a singer who has compromised his vision for his fans by "selling out" so they can get a better produced and better distributed album, yet they show no loyalty by throwing around insults about the music becoming stale and "nu-metal"

Don't ask.

i don´t no why, but i think that´s something about "sky moves faster at this time of year"... can´t explain why, but i´m in love whit that line... *i wonder why*

`´lost`´ said:
i don´t no why, but i think that´s something about "sky moves faster at this time of year"... can´t explain why, but i´m in love whit that line... *i wonder why*

yes I really like that too. I like its isolated position at the end of the song...very suicidal song by the way, it give a kind of apocalyptical feeling like endtime..dunno why...

I think Soil´s Song is something about a kamikaze or similar, someone who believes in an ideology (false, the dream is so far) in a totalitarian state(winter state, opressive wait)
Now it seems that this person has been chosen or had no other possibility as going to war, or letting himself explode in a terror attack or something (assemble here, future death in your reach, who´s first, ok)
So he hides his face (mask, you face well hidden) and keeps "the last words", his decision, the action, "in his hand" where he holds a bomb...(fold it, open up) and finally he explodes or casts the bomb (release the glow)

ether said:
yes I really like that too. I like its isolated position at the end of the song...very suicidal song by the way, it give a kind of apocalyptical feeling like endtime..dunno why...

I think Soil´s Song is something about a kamikaze or similar, someone who believes in an ideology (false, the dream is so far) in a totalitarian state(winter state, opressive wait)
Now it seems that this person has been chosen or had no other possibility as going to war, or letting himself explode in a terror attack or something (assemble here, future death in your reach, who´s first, ok)
So he hides his face (mask, you face well hidden) and keeps "the last words", his decision, the action, "in his hand" where he holds a bomb...(fold it, open up) and finally he explodes or casts the bomb (release the glow)

i agree with U, it´s very suicidal song... great lyrics and music... i think if i ever gonna to kill myself, that´s gonna to be a good soundtrack for it.... :lol:

about Soil´s Song, i´m more simple minded... my impression is that´s about someone that´s waiting for some kind of answer from their boy/girlfriend... i´m geting a feeling of that the one of them is still in love and the other is so cold "winter state".... we all know the consequence of love... it realy hurts...
"evacuate, assemble here----who´s first, ok" that sounds like that is better to walk away and suffer and let it go, pay the prize of love... the last verse i think is about trying of not to show the emotions in side of u...
well... i don´t know, but that´s the impression i´m getting........................