here it is folks: Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

:OMG:

Jesus Christ! What I have heard here...just....now, is so utterly, fucking, pure, phenomenal!

What a tune!

Only Katatonia can create music like this. Their style...it's just chillin'. Dark, rocking and just fucking brilliant. This is why I have already heard the track 10 times, and counting.

As of right now, I'm addicted to this song. I just simply cannot stop playing it. The melody and lyrics - I just get the chills everytime. Even opeth's best songs don't ALWAYS give me the chills.

Wow, best tune I've heard from Katatonia since their masterful Last Fair Deal Gone Down album. All I know now, is that I MUST own this album....and NOW! RIGHT NOW! If there's anything else off here even half this good, it MAY surpass Opeth's ghost reveries and arcturus' sideshow symphonies.

Man, Katatonia NEVER disappoints!

Oh yeaaaah! More Katatonia is definitely a good thing. Better than Ghost Reveries? I don't know about that one.

Alcapoth said:
:OMG:

Jesus Christ! What I have heard here...just....now, is so utterly, fucking, pure, phenomenal!

What a tune!

Only Katatonia can create music like this. Their style...it's just chillin'. Dark, rocking and just fucking brilliant. This is why I have already heard the track 10 times, and counting.

As of right now, I'm addicted to this song. I just simply cannot stop playing it. The melody and lyrics - I just get the chills everytime. Even opeth's best songs don't ALWAYS give me the chills.

Wow, best tune I've heard from Katatonia since their masterful Last Fair Deal Gone Down album. All I know now, is that I MUST own this album....and NOW! RIGHT NOW! If there's anything else off here even half this good, it MAY surpass Opeth's ghost reveries and arcturus' sideshow symphonies.

Man, Katatonia NEVER disappoints!

Please tell me that you're joking. It sounds like second rate tool for half of it, and being better than sideshow symphonie doesn't take much; trust me, i have the album.

yeah, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but i have to defend ghost reveries in this situation. I'm gonna call people on their ridiculous notions, so saying that based on the clip of this song you think the album will be better than GR, i think you should relisten or perhaps you just like things with pop sensibilities.

smile_hilarious.gif

BurningSky said:
It sounds like second rate tool for half of it

It does sound good. They are one of my fav's !!! Maybe they can join Opeth & Devin in February ???

affinityband said:
I agree to a certain extent, but alot of katatonia does. If katatonia were as popular as linkin park you guys wouldn like it.
i beg to differ. i enjoy a good number of popular bands. i'm not one of those "scene" fools, and i'm not a "metalhead" or a "progsnob" either.

I find it sounds way to much like Viva Emptiness, the last couple of Katatonia albums don't do it for me. They're too structured, verse;chorus;verse;bridge;chorus. It gets boring too fast, I listen to the album a few times and I know everything that's going to happen. This new song seems just as structured and boring. Now old Katatonia was interesting!

BurningSky said:
Please tell me that you're joking. It sounds like second rate tool for half of it, and being better than sideshow symphonie doesn't take much; trust me, i have the album.

yeah, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but i have to defend ghost reveries in this situation. I'm gonna call people on their ridiculous notions, so saying that based on the clip of this song you think the album will be better than GR, i think you should relisten or perhaps you just like things with pop sensibilities.

Now you're being elitist.

What if someone likes Katatonia's new material over Ghost Reveries'? He is wrong for doing so? no, of course not. About your comment regarding Arcturus' new album; I think it's an absolutely fantastic album and many massive Arcturus fans regard it as their best; just remember that you can't assimilate a subjective opinion to an objective fact. Finally, I think that Ghost Reveries is the most "pop" oriented album to date...something wrong with it? no.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being pop. Pop can be done very well just like anything else. If if the person is more of a fan of pop, than it wouldn't surprise me. I liked the song, I just find it funny when people say it's better than GR. This isn't because of Opeth worship, it just isn't better musically.

And in response to Rensei, I'm not being elitist. It's just fact that certain music is not musically as good as other music. The kid can think whatever he wants, and so can I, and I'm gonna say what I think just like he did. Are we not allowed to disagree on this board or something? Basically, I think the katatonia song is much more run of the mill than the songs on GR, so I said that calling this better is absurd.

^ Kid? :erk: Hmm, that's a good one.

Katatonia just so happens to be one of my favourite bands, just like Opeth and Arcturus are. But here's the fact! Pure and simple. I heard The Grand Conjuration when it FIRST leaked and couldn't describe how disappointed I was with it. Time has proven the song isn't awful (I like it now) but still is FAR from being fantastic. Now, My Twin isn't even the whole song but this track gives me feeling and emotion. The rocking and chillin', laid-back feel just INSTANTLT brought chills down my spine much like Teargas first did when I first heard it. This track FAR exceeds The Grand Conjuration, imo. And as I said, I feel I MAY like it better than Ghost Reveries. Sometimes, it's not ALWAYS about how long a song is, but the QUALITY of it. Katatonia are kings at what they do - their style rocks and they create riffs that truly give out a lasting impression. At work, My Twin was CONSTANTLY in my head. Even right now, I can't get the tune out of my mind. I fucking love it, plain and simple. Why would I care what anyone else fucking thinks? If you have melodic riffs and haunting/chilling vocals of Renkes, why would you need long songs? This is back to the good 'ol days. Beatles songs were AWFULLY short and repetitive and they happen to be the greatest song writers that ever existed. Fuck it I say - just listen to the music. If you like, you like. If you hate, then just stay clear of it. In my case, be it old or new Katatonia, the band clearly kicks ass (and yeah, I do prefer the new even though I begun listening with the old.) Trust me, at first I was skeptical as well (of course, Teargas changed my mind.)
Oh, and I happen to think Sideshow Symphonies is the best damn album from Arcturus since The Sham Mirrors - stunning music!

Lastly, Katatonia is FAR from pop. And they're NO Linkin Park. Everyone I know so far says they remind them of Tool. That's a FAIR comparison. I think more along the lines of Tool-Stabbing Westward.

And I'm TOTALLY with Silent Song. I like whatever sounds good, be it underground or mainstream. Hell, Katatonia deserves to be as big as a band like Tool. I think their sound and style has the potential to reach a HUGE audience. Here's hoping their new album does well. In the end, there's far too much good music out there.

I think My Twin has a nice balance between VE (heaviness - like Criminals) and LFDGD (for its more melodic-nature.)

:) And Rensei, thanks for the good response!

Dude, I'm not trying to shit on your musical taste or anything. I agree that it sounds good, and i don't know where the whole grand conjuration thing came from, but time will tell whether or not the new katatonia stacks up. I guess my whole reason for posting something contrary to your post was that I thought you were jumping the gun a bit. Ghost reveries covers so much musical territory and to say from hearing that clip that katatonia will put out a better album, I thought you were off your rocker. No hard feelings man, I was just kind of shocked.

It doesnt take much effort to make something better than Ghost Reveries, what a pile of stinking sh1t. At least we can count on Katatonia not throwing in chug riffs and Dr Seuss level lyrics to try and sound more accessible.

It's a good song, but the styles are so different you can't even compare it with GR. The structure is extremely boring though.
Opeth tracks always grow on you, whether they sound shit or fantastic, they will get even better. Katatonia tracks seem to get more boring after listening to them for a while.

Dhalaren said:
I find it sounds way to much like Viva Emptiness, the last couple of Katatonia albums don't do it for me. They're too structured, verse;chorus;verse;bridge;chorus. It gets boring too fast, I listen to the album a few times and I know everything that's going to happen. This new song seems just as structured and boring. Now old Katatonia was interesting!
BRI said:
It's a good song, but the styles are so different you can't even compare it with GR. The structure is extremely boring though.
Opeth tracks always grow on you, whether they sound shit or fantastic, they will get even better. Katatonia tracks seem to get more boring after listening to them for a while.
*nod* The new Katatonia stuff is good, but it doesn't grow on you the same way as Opeth's songs do. I still prefer Katatonias older stuff that I also find more interesting.

NP: Katatonia - Without God