here it is folks: Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

The Hubster said:
It doesnt take much effort to make something better than Ghost Reveries, what a pile of stinking sh1t. At least we can count on Katatonia not throwing in chug riffs and Dr Seuss level lyrics to try and sound more accessible.

HAHAH. Do you have a mental defect, or do you just have a low level of intelligence? It's fine if you don't like Ghost Reveries. However, do not use flawed logic to express that point of view because it makes you look like an idiot. Good Day Sir.

BurningSky said:
And in response to Rensei, I'm not being elitist.
Yes you are.

It's just fact that certain music is not musically as good as other music.
No, it's not.

Are we not allowed to disagree on this board or something?
Yes you are, but so I am.
Basically, I think the katatonia song is much more run of the mill than the songs on GR, so I said that calling this better is absurd.
That is better.

ok ok, I'll stop being an ass now..

NICE!

Really curious to hear how it is going to sound. And yes, Viva Emptiness was incredible.

BurningSky said:
Dude, I'm not trying to shit on your musical taste or anything. I agree that it sounds good, and i don't know where the whole grand conjuration thing came from, but time will tell whether or not the new katatonia stacks up. I guess my whole reason for posting something contrary to your post was that I thought you were jumping the gun a bit. Ghost reveries covers so much musical territory and to say from hearing that clip that katatonia will put out a better album, I thought you were off your rocker. No hard feelings man, I was just kind of shocked.

:) Now here is a response I can respect! I definitely agree that GR covers a GREAT deal of musical territory - it is my fave album currently afterall and one still listen to alot. To be quite honest, I was actually shocked myself how much this new Katatonia song impressed me. In fact, due to me playing it on overkill right now, i just burned thie single to a cd - holy shit does it sound great on my surround sound system. The drum beats and bass truly shines!

Oh, and the reason I made the grand conjuration reference is basically because of some saying the new Katatonia can't possibly yop "Ghost Reveries." And being the two songs were the first to be released off both records, I just made this first initial contrast.
Well, at least you LIKE the song - I couldn't tell at first based on your previous comments.

BRI: I agree Opeth songs tend to grow on you because of their sheer variety - in just one song that is. For example, upon first listen GR didn't do anything for me now I feel it's an absolutely amazing album. One of the finest! BUT, I MUST have listened to My Twin something like about 25-30 times and jesus, the song just doesn't suck...it doesn't get old for me.
Like I said, MANY songs out there have the basic verse-chorus-verse structure and yes MANY of those songs DO get boring and tiresome, but not with Katatonia. Hell, Teargas - once again - is just over 3 minutes and damn the song rocks. In fact, I still think LFDGD is one of the best rock/metal albums out there.

I think a song is GREAT so long you get a good kick out of it everytime you have it on. I love LONG songs, but there are times I just want really kickass tunes to just chill to - to me, Katatonia is this band that delivers this.

Ok, I did this JUST for the heck of it....

This is what it would probably look like had they used their actual logo. Better or worse?

I think it would be great and all because I LOVE the logo...probably my favourite logo for a band right up there with Opeth's and Emperor's. But even still, I LOVE the current simplicity displayed with the simple text. It makes for interesting layout and I think suits the more "ROCKING" style of Katatonia, as well seems more fitting with the artwork.

Well, anyway...be the judge!

Some people seem to have a problem with anything that isn't underground or extreme. VE (and likely the new album) has songs that could be played, and liked, on commercial rock radio. In fact, I honestly think their label dropped the ball with VE.