Katatonia -The Great Cold Distance

challenge_everything

Feb 9, 2006
great southern wasteland
Katatonia, in my mind, have always been among metal's greatest underachievers. That's not to say they haven't released many excellent albums; quite the contrary. But their post Brave Murder Day albums have been brilliant yet deeply flawed, promising greatness but never delivering.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down is a classic example. So many haunting atmospheric riffs let down by uninspired vocals that seem like they are too lazy to write a decent melody. 'My Sweet Nurse' shows what Jonas Renske is capable of and still remains one of Katatonia's finest moments. Either side of this song we have 'Passing Bird', beautiful verses with a highly annoying chorus, and the generally bland 'Don't Tell a Soul'. And that's the story of Katatonia.

Viva Emptiness fixed up the vocal laziness, but in the process the music seemed cheapened (the almost nu-metal sound of 'Ghost of the Sun').

So I didn't have great hopes for The Great Cold Distance. Bands that have been around this long either have already achieved their potential or never will. But Katatonia have proven that theory wrong. This album is a grower. It's highly melodic and very accessible, yet it has many subtleties and I find myself surprised at how endlessly I have been listening to it over the last few months.

The guitars, bass and drums are as solid as always - immaculately produced riffs that seem so delicate yet so powerful. The real improvement comes from Renske whose vocals far surpass anything he has previously done. At first listen they seem almost detached, monotone, restrained and inexpressive. But every note is pitch-perfect, so aching and so fitting of the music. Again, the word subtle comes to mind in describing it. And it's all the more satisfying when Renske does let loose - the chorus of 'July' being a good example. It's not without weak tracks, mainly 'Consternation' and 'The Itch', but that's far fewer than previous albums. And everything else is gold.

9/10

I agree with you.

In no way is this album going to please anyone who likes Brave Murder Day but it might bring back a spark and a new sound.

Many people say this album is a "nu-metal" or "Tool" version of Katatonia but i beg to differ.

This album has its moments and is an easy listen.

Good review.

I agree with you.

In no way is this album going to please anyone who likes Brave Murder Day but it might bring back a spark and a new sound.

Many people say this album is a "nu-metal" or "Tool" version of Katatonia but i beg to differ.

This album has its moments and is an easy listen.

Good review.

That album is hardly nu-metal. People that say that are absolutely insane.

I agree with your statements and the review is great.

Sounded pretty nu-metal to me the one (and only) time I heard it. Phrases wrap up way too quickly, but that's essentially the only difference between this and their early stuff.

I've heard like 4 songs off the album (Deliberation, My Twin, Follower, and July) but from what I have heard I don't like this album much. It seems too soft, too simple (mind Darkthrone I love them), plain, and kinda boring. I listen to it sometimes but right now it hasn't grown on me. Disapointing after Viva Emptiness which I liked a lot.

If your a fan of Katatonia, I don't understand how you could dislike this album. Superb guitar work by Blackheim, excellent drumming from Daniel. And Jonas has never sounded better. I think his vocals on TGCD are much better than on LFGD. The songwriting is some of the best in Metal. An extremely consistent band.

Great review
I personally think katatonia listens to tons of a perfect circle
If APC were from sweden then you have katatonia
10/10!! love this album

I personally think that this is the second worst Katatonia album yet. Viva Emptiness is of course the worst. They've dropped steadily in quality since Last Fair Deal Gone Down (a good album, but one that wore its welcome out very quickly). I would give the new one maybe a 6 / 10. It's not bad, just really boring.

To you, but to me, Brave Murder Day was the best, Tonight's Decision was the second best, and Discouraged Ones was the third best. Viva Emptiness is absolute trash. It's like they wanted to be a watered down nu metal band.

I hate Viva Emptiness as much as I like The Great Cold Distance.

Its like they finally pulled off what they were trying to do with the last one successfully.

I've never understood the bashing VE gets. It's a 4.5 album for me. Excellent guitar work and drumming. Someone define "nu-metal" to me in terms of describing Katatonia? What the fuck are you listening to?

You can't really call Katatonia nu- metal due to a change in style on some of their albums (unless they start using samples and rapping then you have some basis to call them nu metal.)For example In Flames always have a different style on their albums but are they nu metal nope