Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Anyone have this yet?
I have listened to this about 4 times now.
Unfortunately, nothing has really stuck out and grabbed my attention yet, except for the single, "My Twin"

Just curious to know what all of your thoughts were on this.

Maybe it requires additional listening to sink in.

Overall, the feel is very similar to modern Katatonia. There just hasn't been a lyric or melody that has stuck in my head yet.....

I'd go as far as saying its my favourite Katatonia album. Never been a huge fan of the band...but I really dig TGCD.

Thanks for the replies. It has gotten great reviews.
I created this thread because as a Kataonia fan, I was surprised that it didn't grab me.
I will definitely still give it it's fair due.....

Actually from what I've seen it's gotten some mixed reviews from both press and fans. I personally think it's a great album.

It's like when I first heard the sampler for "Viva Emptiness" I can say that I almost outright hated it. I listened to it a few times and put it aside. When I got the full length album later, I listened to it and gradually fell in love with it. "Viva.." is now definitely my favorite album of theirs. So perhaps with luck, this new one will grow on you too the way VE grew on me.

I don't think the hooks on TGCD stand out quite as instantly as they did on VE. It took a few listens before it really started sticking in my head.

Sadly I've seen alot of fans and critics yapping about how they miss the Brave Murder Day sound, when talking about the "new" Katatonia sound. BMD was awesome and a milestone in it's own way for this kind of music, I understand that. But the overall songwriting and performance on the new Katatonia stuff is just so much superior to me, I can't relate to those people's complaints at all. I enjoy the sound of BMD but I'd be pretty disappointed to see them take such a step backwards and revisit that style again (especially considering how many other acts have come along and copped or built upon that BMD style since then.....some would lump us in that category even haha!)

Give "The Great Cold Distance" a few more spins and keep an open mind, let us know what you think later on ;)

Yeah it is in my laptop case to bring with me to work this week, which means it will be in "rotation"! Personally, I like "new" Katatonia better than the older stuff.

I think it's a disappointment and the first Kata album I've really failed to enjoy. I like a couple of songs, "July" and "Journey Through Pressure", but much of the material seems to be useless fluff to me. I like most of the calm parts musically, but the distorted riffs tend to be boring. Also, "In The White" might take "Evidence"'s crown as the most overrated song in their discography.

BalanceofPower said:
I'm not a Katatonia fan, but I think this new album is really really good. I heard the older stuff and didn't really like it, but this new stuff is really good.

Vito - Even though there are no songs about dragons? :lol:

Illnath said:
...they sound great live though:heh:

I'll second that,they do sound great live,saw the Novembre/Katatonia gig last friday,it was amazing...:)

@Wankerness: You we're right about Novembre they make great music,I had a nice Italian chat with them :) ..really,really nice dudes,although the vocals we'rent all that good,I still think they rock..:headbang:

Still didn't buy this. I but did get the new Amorphis. It's taking a little bit to warm up to the vocalist, but the music is quality. Also bought the new The Gathering. That's awesome.

The first time i heard this album i thought it wasn't that good, but after a while i started enjoying it.Now it's probably the 2nd best Katatonia album to me.Soil's Song, My Twin and Leaders....need i say more

Awesome. I think the best music is often times when it takes repeated listens before you can really get into it. Nowadays it seems like fewer people really have the patience for that sort of thing. That's a damn shame. That's another problem I have with album reviews. Most critics will listen to a cd once or twice at best before writing their reviews. I wonder how many of those albums which received a negative review might've gone differently had the reviewer had more time to absorb it and let it grow? Oh well.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Awesome. I think the best music is often times when it takes repeated listens before you can really get into it.

I agree.Too many band's make album's that you listen to once, and you've heard it all. There is no point in listening to an album that doesn't bring anything new after the first spin, or maybe it's just me.