Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Peaceville Records – CDVILE128 - 13/03/2006
By Sam Brokenshaw

tgcd_cover_UM.jpg

Many people bemoaned the direction Katatonia took on their last opus "Viva Emptiness". The words nu-metal were bandied around and personally, I didn't agree. "Viva Emptiness" was a definite step in a different direction from the almost alt-rock stylings of the previous three albums, three albums which represented a refinement of a particular style. "Discouraged Ones," "Tonight's Decision" and "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" each served as a step in the development of a style which endeared new listeners to the former doom band, experimenting more and more with melancholy and less with out and out metal. "The Great Cold Distance" would appear to be the same kind of refinement from the previous album, leading me to believe that this is a new era in Katatonia's musical chronology. It's hard to say whether the band have improved from "Viva Emptiness", as the differences on offer here are subtle and hardly the kind of jump that the band made between "Brave Murder Day" and "Discouraged Ones." Many elements are held over from the stylistic lexicon that the previous album displayed; epic sustained guitar sound-scapes, shimmering clean guitars, a thick and warm bass tone and Mr Renkse's vocals sound more comfortable than ever.

The track available for download, "My Twin", doesn't tell the whole story here either. "My Twin" is similar in some ways to the more catchy material on "Viva Emptiness", such as "Criminals" and "Evidence", but overall, "The Great Cold Distance" is a lot more convoluted and complex. The songs are less catchy in general, with a few exceptions, and the album stands as one long journey into a particular mode of thought. Renkse calls the album, "A distance necessary to journey through the corridors of human vexation." The album noticeably lacks certain elements from the previous, no "Omerta" or "Inside the City of Glass" to break up the flow for example. This works for and against the album in different ways. The overall length of the album can be somewhat of a hindrance without the breaks in flow that the aforementioned track afforded "Viva Emptiness". However, this singular direction of flow also gives the album a unique push into the journeying mode that Renkse speaks of.

The album largely features the kind of crushing, moderately simplistic riffs that prevailed on the last album, but at times they reveal half hidden pieces of technicality that can occasionally be glimpsed through the walls of distortion. The musical performances on display are top notch, the guitars are incredibly tight and Daniel Liljekvist's drumming is tight and hard, really giving the album the kind of percussive force that the hard riffs demand to be supported by. As previously stated the songs seem to flow into one long musical sound-scape and there is not a huge amount of variation to break it up, but there are highlights. The lilting, rolling gait of "Soil's Song" proves extremely effective and along with "My Twin" provides a one-two hit of the albums most blatantly catchy moments. "Consternation" is probably the most out and out heavy song on the album, reminding me of "Wealth" from "Viva Emptiness" in it's bloody-minded riffing. "In the White" features a clever laying of rhythms between the bass and guitars, whilst not quite as blatant as Meshuggah, the polyrhythmic effect is somewhat disturbing and catches the listener's ear. Renkse's vocal performance is also superb on this song, he breaks the comfort zone inhabited on most of the rest of the album, sounding as desperate as ever, and as beautiful. The album closer, "Journey Through Pressure" doesn't disappoint, ending the album in an epic and different way, with many different experiments in production giving the song a complex texture.

Katatonia really stand out as one of the most consistant bands in the metal scene today. There is not a single Katatonia album I don't enjoy in some way or another, whichever period you choose to pick from. From the early crushing, blackened doom, through the alt-rock styled period and on into this more metallic current sound. "The Great Cold Distance" is a deceptively complex journey into the darker side of human emotion, which doesn't suffer from it's near singular thrust but rather thrives on it. It's always a good sign when you're already looking forward to what a band will do next, before they even release the current album. Katatonia have achieved a rare level excellence and that surely must be applauded.

9/10

Katatonia's Official Website
Peaceville Official Website

I agree, however , I feel that they are as catchy as ever, its just a committed listening that has to be applied, which I have found and thats the most enjoyable thing about katatonia, Im still listening to discouraged ones and finding little bits I missed.

timeless

Upon first listen I was dismayed a bit with the lack of variation - what, nothing like Omerta or a Premonition? But with repeated listens you start to find comfort in the songwriting which can get really f'n deep (thanks to another stellar production job) I'm really loving it now...your review is pretty much dead on with my thoughts, it's a good one.

Great review :)

Soil's Song and My Twin are the standout tracks, but I agree that the album is a Journey.
This will take pride in my Katatonia collection when it is released in March.
All facets of instrumentation and vocals are superb!!

insidethefall said:
Upon first listen I was dismayed a bit with the lack of variation - what, nothing like Omerta or a Premonition? But with repeated listens you start to find comfort in the songwriting which can get really f'n deep (thanks to another stellar production job) I'm really loving it now...your review is pretty much dead on with my thoughts, it's a good one.

it's pretty much exactly what happened to me, at first i was a bit meh but then when i REALLY listened i got more and more impressed.

I agree with all the comments here, I was unimpressed at first glance but there is a huge level of sophistication and subtlety throughout the entirety of the album. I'm gutted that it's not out for release for a while, one of the best moments for me is the clean section in the second song, which is ruined by the horrible voiceover.

I'm glad the band finally has the level of production the music deserves.

The songs have lost their catchy hooks, and sound very generic now. The guitar tones are shit and I actually thought the clean guitar was programmed. From listening with headphones I can tell the vocals were raped with auto-tuning.

Oinkness said:
The songs have lost their catchy hooks, and sound very generic now. The guitar tones are shit and I actually thought the clean guitar was programmed. From listening with headphones I can tell the vocals were raped with auto-tuning.

I dont agree with anything you just said

I like My Twin in this album and thats about it.. Heavy guitars i like.. Final comments after I have the original in my hands but the release date is still pretty far away.. but no Ghots ov the sun hit track on this one no no, also no omerta and stuff.. this gets into bakkground muzak and thats also big no no.. IIK!

Just got the promo for this the other day, and I must say that it sounds better than anything they've done within the past few years. I've got a voice-over on my copy, though, so I'll have to wait until March to pass official judgement. Nice review, Hopkins!