Katatonia - Viva Emptiness

honestly I liked katatonia a fair bit before I gave this one a listen, from what I'd heard.. and there are some bright moments but yea this cd kinda bored me and I immediately picked up why some would call it nu-metal (I'm not saying it is) due to the first track lyrically, the repetitive use of fuck and shit is pretty reminiscent of something slipknot would do and quite honestly turns me off as in my eyes it kind of turns them into just another band of "don't give a shit" posers. I don't deny they're great musicians but this one hasn't done much for me, yet, anyway.

I partially agree with some of the 'nu-metal' comments; as In Flames did before them with 'Reroute to Remain', Katatonia have incorporated some simple and repetitive rhythm sections as punctuation for their normal style. However this just adds to the diversity. The only real negative about this album is that it continues the trend set by 'Last Fair Deal...' in losing some of the melancholy doom-inspired guitar work that graced their earlier albums.

It is a fantastic album, and one that I regularly revisit, but I will say it is a different beast from LFDGD (which is my favourite Katatonia album) and I do believe that THAT difference is what they were going for, i am glad they haven't released the same album over and over, and I am will count Viva Emptiness in my top 5 for the year!!

Katatonia is truly a band to hang in there with, rarely dissapointing the listener. I have heard many arguement from many online about how Katatonia should have stuck with their true doom metal roots and please do not get me wrong my favorite album by this band is Dancing of december souls I feel the past few albums have shown a natural progression and maturing of talent. Though leaving the harsh vocals in the past their music still captures beautifully the melancholly of old with in somber pieces.

Viva is an a album I highly sugest. :OMG:

Personally, I think it's their worst album since Dance of the December Souls. The lyrics are utterly atrocious, which is to be expected as Katatonia has always had completely horrible lyrics, but these are the worst yet. The music itself is almost the same as their previous (and far superior) album, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, except Blackheim's melodic leads are replaced with chugga chugga nu metal power chords. I'd give it a 6 / 10 overall, it has some good songs but those are surrounded by dull and trite filler songs.

Necrolicht said:
taranis why does it seem like you are the only one that hears the numetal sound on this album. Nothing on this album sounds numetal at all. Just because the band decided to add a little bit of distortion to their guitar does not make it numetal. There are absolutely no similarities between this band and the likes of linkin park and korn. None whatsoever. This band has immense talent numetal bands do not. This band knows how to write a song that will grab you and never let go. Numetal bands can't do that. Taranis you need to open up your ears a little better and learn to understand what you're listening to.
This is wrong. The nu metal influence on VE is obvious. And of course they were trying to achieve that sound, their playlists on their webpage while they were recording this album were almost completely made up of nu metal, especially from the musicians (Anders Nystrom (Blackheim) and the bass guitarist the most I believe). They stripped their complex melodic leads and replaced them with angsty power chord boredom and added a lot of yelled profanity and other nu metal-isms.

I was very disappointed with Viva; LFDGD had a gritty heaviness combined with mournfull guitars which gave it such emotional impact and a towering atmosphere. I tried hard with Viva but found it bland and colourless in comparison. No offence to those who like it!

This was actually my first ever Katatonia purchase. Prior to this I'd never even heard any damn Katatonia.

Love the music, although I've gotta agree with the comment above, in that the lyrics are utterly fucking cringeful.

LuminousAether said:
Personally, I think it's their worst album since Dance of the December Souls. The lyrics are utterly atrocious, which is to be expected as Katatonia has always had completely horrible lyrics, but these are the worst yet. The music itself is almost the same as their previous (and far superior) album, Last Fair Deal Gone Down, except Blackheim's melodic leads are replaced with chugga chugga nu metal power chords. I'd give it a 6 / 10 overall, it has some good songs but those are surrounded by dull and trite filler songs.

Totally agree !!!
Last Fair Deal Gone Down was by far better album than Viva. I don't like those downtuned and more distortioned guitars, silly lyrics, no solos. It's like Linking Park covering Metallica's St. Anger or smth.

PS. No offence, Viva is by far better album than most in metal genre but... dissapointing compared to earlier releases.

imho it doesn't quite give the warm buzz inside that my favorite Katatonia albums do (Dance of December souls, Brave murder day & Tonight's decision), but nevertheless it's a great album by a great band that deserves to be heard by as many people as possible.

8/10

I found this lacking and boring - not melodic enough to beat LFDGD, not strong enough to beat BMD, instead falling uncomfortably between the fences and into a ditch. Maybe I'm just not getting it and I'll try it again some day, but personally, a big disappointment. Good enough in some ways, but not as good as I'm used to definitley...