Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
2003 - Peaceville
By Mark Bridgeman

kata_viva100.jpg

To say that this latest offering from Katatonia is an important piece of work - both as part of their ouvre and as leverage to push them higher up the popular ladder - would be an understatement. Perhaps it's just my perception, and not something that is actually true, but I have not seen Katatonia as being a band held in awe'd regard in the same way that, for example, Opeth or In Flames have been in the last few years.

This album, with its lush atmosphere, chilling performances, and simply breathtaking delivery and songwriting, should go a long way towards marking the band as one of the most important bands in the heavy music genre. Whether it will or not is, of course, up to the music buying public. But any failure in this album gaining mass appeal will certainly not be a reflection of just what a finely spun piece of work 'viva emptiness' is for a band that has always been balancing on the line seperating excellence and genius.

From the opening chords of 'Ghost Of The Sun', to the closing strains of 'Inside The City Of Glass', we're given a blend of finely turned vocals, heaving, breathless guitars, and a solid-stomp of rhythm performances. An excercise in melancholy best describes the majority of music presented here, but where (in this writer's opinion) Katatonia have in the past failed to push the envelope from being a great Doom band to being one that can sink its claws into the true beast of melody, it is here with tracks such as 'Criminals', 'A Premonition', and the amazing 'Omerta' that band have pulled everything into place to finally show what song writing chops they possess.

This is indeed the album I always hoped Katatonia would make. And praise the Lord-uh, they've done it!

10/10

Reactions: Graveheart
I'm in complete agreement. This is the album that Katatonia have been working towards for the whole of their existence as a band, the tying together of the threads of melancholy melody and angst-filled heaviness that had before this point begged to be resolved into a cohesive whole. Masterpiece. Go buy it.

Glad you liked it :)

And yes, anyone with an interest in heavy music should at least listen to this album, if not make it a permanent part of their collection.

Lacks the depth and atmosphere? What are you listening to. This album is the most atmospheric of any album I've ever heard. Depth is pretty much a non-issue considering this cd has the most rhythm changes of any Katatonia album ever. This cd started depressing the shit out of my older sister when I played it in front of her while were playing videogames. And she's a Cure fan. I guess to each his own.

It's a tremendous album, I'm blown away by songs like Ghost of the Sun, Will I Arrive and Evidence. Not sure if it's their best though. The previous 4 albums are excellent too.

It seems the waiting of two years was reworded. "Viva Emptiness" it's a wonderfull display of art. It's not black, doom, gothic or any other kind of metal. KATATONIA are alone in their world. There's no one near them, so it's not necessary to put a label on their sound and associate them with some other bands. It's more agressive than "last fair deal gone down" and a litlle less depressive than the last four albuns.
Why this band isn't selling tons of records? Why aren't their concerts full? Why the promotion is so week? I don't understand ...
KATATONIA is showing how masterpieces of creation sounds like. A word for the artwork of Travis Smith: it is in perfect tunning with the conception of the sound.

this album isnt as good as lfdgd or tonights decision. Its too much like nu-metal for its own good. I dont think they meant it to be, but it sounds that way. And Madtinus is right, it last fair deal has way more atmosphere. It just doesnt have as good production.

The fact is if you put linkin park rap over the tracks like sleeper and the opening track then it would fit perfectly.

taranis why does it seem like you are the only one that hears the numetal sound on this album. Nothing on this album sounds numetal at all. Just because the band decided to add a little bit of distortion to their guitar does not make it numetal. There are absolutely no similarities between this band and the likes of linkin park and korn. None whatsoever. This band has immense talent numetal bands do not. This band knows how to write a song that will grab you and never let go. Numetal bands can't do that. Taranis you need to open up your ears a little better and learn to understand what you're listening to.

I just got this album and I do think it sounds SLIGHTLY like nu-metal. Why do people say this is a flaw though?

'It's too nu-metal for its own good'.

Even if you can call it nu-metal, why is this an inherent flaw?

To me this album sounds like nu-metal that is sincere. Nu-metal that is soothing and lovely, nu-metal that is played with skill and precision, nu-metal with mind-blowingly fantastic songwriting, lyrics and mourning, beautiful melodies.

...and y'know what, I only think this is nu-metal influenced, because if it is nu-metal then it is simply too good for all the rest of the bands in that genre.

This album slays me.

I have this wonderful cd. I bought just to see what it would sound like. Well I found out the katatonia is a very great band who made one hell of a cd.

A must buy in my eyes.
7 out of 10

I'm vaguely mystified by the references to nu-metal in the thread thus far, since to my mind Viva Emptiness has nothing in common with the genre. Nu-metal is generally characterised by cross-pollenation with non-rock/metal related genres, fairly simplistic song structures, and a strong visual image - none of which strictly applies to Katatonia. I agree however that 'nu-metal' should not be used as a derogatory comment as of itself - I still listen to some nu-metal, when the latest Severe Torture or whatever gets a bit much for me... :)

I think some people fall back onto the 'nu-metal cliche' whenever they hear something that doesn't fit their vision of what Metal should be...

I don't agree with most of the reviews. It is not a bad album and does have moments of brilliance, but it is not as good as many people make it out to be. Some of the song writing is a bit "off" and some of the songs are weak. Overall not a bad album but far from awsome i.m.o.