at the Indian restaurant yesterday, they lied to me and i caught them out

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
So, I went to what I think is the best (foodwise) Indian restaurant in this part of Boston for dinner last night. They had a new waitress who didn't seem to know what she was doing, exactly. We ordered lamb biriyani, punjabi chhole, chicken pakora, chicken tikka masala, and a paratha basket, which included three different kinds of paratha (bread).

When they brought the food out, there were only two kinds of bread in it, and it looked an awful like like naan bread, not paratha bread. She scurried over to the counter and powwowed with the boss and I saw her glancing in our direction. So I asked the waitress if this was the paratha basket, and she said, "Yes. Paratha." and, when I said I thought there were three, she said, "No. Two."

Then she was called over to another table who had just gotten their food and they seemed to be pointing at their suspiciously paratha-like bread basket and telling her they only ordered two breads. She scolded them and told them to eat their naan.

When she came over to fill our water I was like "GEE THIS IS EXCELLENT PARATHA, MMMM" to Aysha, but nothing came of it.

When we got our bill, I peeked at it. It was one of those scribbled bills where they write down your order as you take it, and I realised that she had secretly re-written our bill so it had our whole order, but naan instead of paratha! Naan's a lot cheaper, so I'm glad she didn't rip us off, but I still think it's funny that she BSed to my face. I wonder if she'd done that with other weird food items she'd messed up when serving white people who don't know better, like "THAT IS THE LAMB ROGAN JOSH!" "But it looks like tandoori chicken!" "NO. LAMB ROGAN JOSH."

Anyway, it was delicious, and I should've taken pix of the bread, but she was eyeing us suspiciously all meal.

indiandhaba.jpg

the local chaat house always use to fuck that up too - we'd have to be like "we want PARATHAS - no NAAN. WHOLE WHEAT!" and even still, we wouldn't always get em. meh.

paratha is fried in a pan and super-oily (when you make the dough you keep brushing oil on it, folding it, brushing oil, folding, etc) and naan is baked in a tandoori oven, i think?

and i really think i might've seen whole wheat naan at ONE place once, but maybe not. it also could've been a radical specialty whose radicality i didn't appreciate because i ain't Indian.

they aren't baked at all - it's pretty much just flour, water and salt for a basic paratha. and then you pan fry it. super easy. the stuffed ones are a bit more complicated, but not by much.

xfer said:
paratha is fried in a pan and super-oily (when you make the dough you keep brushing oil on it, folding it, brushing oil, folding, etc) and naan is baked in a tandoori oven, i think?
Right, Naan is supposed to be slapped to the inside surface of the tandoori (on the sides of it) and cook like that.

In the pic it looks like htere's a "ww" as the beginning of a website... do they have a website?

I don't know much about indian food... but I've had paratha once and it's gooooood :)