Atonement - Influenced by Vedic Chants ?

Such a relation is an example of a common understanding of structure and organization of Pitch and Rhythym. I played Atonement continously when I first got the Ghost Reveries CD, I'm playing it right now, still can't get enough of it.

The song is obviously influenced by Middle Eastern music of some sort. The progressions seem to follow a Middle Eastern scale.

IMO the song IS probably Opeth's worst, not saying it is bad though. If you disagree, I would be interested in hearing what you think is Opeth's worst song :rolleyes:

Yes obviously Mid-Eastern influenced after all there is over 250 Indian Classical scales. IMO Opeth doesn’t have a worst song.

One of my favourite songs on guitar to play, I must have listened to this song about 100 times in one night, figuring out the notes, then playing it.

worst opeth song period

Awesome awesome album, just doesn't fit with the record. Don't really like that song at all
While on this topic, Beneath the Mire seems Indian or Egyptian influenced as well (in the begining). But it gets awesome after that though.

India is not in the Middle East ... (Vedic Chants are Indian)
Indian music has nothing to do with Egyptian music ...
define Egyptian influences???? (we don't even know how old Egyptian music sounded like, perhaps you mean Nile influences? :p)
or perhaps you mean islamic music? well, lots of differences there ... or perhaps you mean modern day Egyptian music??

the world really is one big blur to you people isn't it?

While on this topic, Beneath the Mire seems Indian or Egyptian influenced as well (in the begining). But it gets awesome after that though.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;4367085 said:
Haha! I knew that "Beneath the mire" would get flamed for that opening riff. The working title for the riff was "The Russian" and never was intended to sound like fucking "Kashmir" which I still don't think it does.

So I would say, that BTM wasn't influenced by Indian/Egyptian influences