Atonement - Influenced by Vedic Chants ?

It's mostly influenced by 60's psychedelic songs that were influenced by LSD-soaked trips to Goa.

edit: In other words, as he said^ :)

and maybe "Within You Without You"

I love Atonement... it's sensual. I also recognise some Indian influences. Maybe it should have been placed on Damnation? IMHO, it isn't Opeth's worst song. Personally I don't like BTM. Like the guitars in the beginning but I just dont like the rest of the song...

It does have a LOT of Indian classical music influence.....no way..not the worst song..and
^^ BLP rules...one of the best song writing skills exhibited by Opeth

atonement is boring as hell

btm crushes

the end

I love Atonement when Im in the mood for it. It serves its purpose on the disk, which is to give a little break before the head banging starts up again, but its not a song thats gonna work in every setting. The song is much more enjoyable when Im baked driving at night with my car stereo turned up than when Im working out or getting pumped up for a show. So like I said, when Im in the mood for it, lol.

LOL, I laugh when supposed Opeth "fans" call Atonement the worst Opeth song ever. Why is it the worst ever?
Atonement is an amazing song that, not only features a great melody, but also has a lot of Lopez hand drumming, avant garde/experimental keyboard and guitar in the vein of Miles Davis, and beautiful vocals and lyrics. Not only that, but the whole structure of the song screams brilliance. Its atmospheric, ambient and provides a great "intermission" of sorts. Even better, is that Beneath the mire blends directly into it. Also...the ending little segue between Atonement and Reverie is one of the best little "ditties" Opeth has ever done.

To say that Atonement is the worst Opeth song is pure ignorance. You must be one of those fans that only likes Opeth because they are "heavy".

The true essence of Opeth shines through their quiet and soft parts. Though I wouldn't expect some MTV diseased mind to understand any of that.

To say that Atonement is the worst Opeth song is pure ignorance. You must be one of those fans that only likes Opeth because they are "heavy".

Yeah, it's real ignorant to think for yourself and express your own opinions. Go ahead and live in your little dream world where everyone's musical taste revolves around what you think is "brilliant".

Yeah, it's real ignorant to think for yourself and express your own opinions. Go ahead and live in your little dream world where everyone's musical taste revolves around what you think is "brilliant".

Um..actually I said that because Opeth does not have a "worst" song.

Oh, and thank you, I will live in my little dream world. Its quite nice here.

If someone says a band's song is their worst, it obviously means it is their least favorite (rating music is subjective). Theres no point in explaining it to you because it isn't a hard concept to grasp; you're obviously not going to sway from what you believe. I mean, mIkAel (JESUs) can dO no wRong/ lomao :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :rcok":