Audio Interface selection...

hello to all

noone have mentioned the Digi002 rack :confused: - do you have any problems with it? any comments good or bad about it?
i use it without any problems for about 2 years - i dont know the price difference though there

btw, maybe a realy stupid question about the Emu cards:

both the 1212m as the 1820m are advertised with protools converters, but does the 1212/ only have one and the 1820M on both preamps and remaining 6 inputs?

RME is great stuff!!! Thier Fireface800 is awesome!!!!!! The Focusrite Octopre kicks ass!!!!! Decent compressors & limiters on it too. I had one.
Are you gonna record just yourself or are you going to do bands too?

If just yourself, checkout Focusrites 'Saffire'. 192k / FW / midi i/o / 2 headphones / s/pdif i/o / two mic pre's and enough outputs for surround.

Another decent small interface that's FW is Presonus Firebox.

Motu's 828mk II is great too!!!

Check out the cheaper ones first maybe.... because if you listen to a mix thru an Apogee or RME first, most all others will sound like poop :D
Definitely get the ram & the dedicated audio hard drive!!!

If you can, try not to slouch on your interface/clock. It'll be the heartbeat of your system. Good clock & AD's =less jitter.... Great DA's= you will hear everything in your mixes and you'll make great mixes that'll translate well everywhere.

Good luck man, welcome to the money pit!!!!!!

Seizure. said:
btw, maybe a realy stupid question about the Emu cards:

both the 1212m as the 1820m are advertised with protools converters, but does the 1212/ only have one and the 1820M on both preamps and remaining 6 inputs?
From the emu web site:

the E-MU 1212M Digital Audio System is the perfect solution for any application that only requires a couple channels of premium analog I/O (i.e. mastering, remixing and running virtual instruments).

2 converters on the main two inputs.

I'm planing on recording bands, so eventually I'l probably end up getting a mixer. I'm also gonna start my audio engeneering studies in october, so this will be good to practise and study.
I currently have a maxtor 160 Gb HD @ 7000rpm. I'll probably end up buying another HD to dedicate it exclusively to my audio. What drives would you recomend?
P.D: RIP Bob Moog.

Radd said:
Ok, that's cool. I thought maybe firewire provided better sound quality and/or less latency issues.

Nope, and in fact, Firewire adds another layer of complexity, IMO, because it's a "network" of sorts and seems to be touchier when it comes to PCI bus contention than standard PCI audio interfaces. That said, I use an RME Fireface 800 with an RME Octamic-D and love it.

Bob Savage said:
Nope, and in fact, Firewire adds another layer of complexity, IMO, because it's a "network" of sorts and seems to be touchier when it comes to PCI bus contention than standard PCI audio interfaces. That said, I use an RME Fireface 800 with an RME Octamic-D and love it.

I've alwais understood that firewire actually has a slightly lower transmission rate than PCI...

Impy said:
Just because it's using the PCI bus doesn't mean it'll have the same transfer rate, it just means it can't have a higher transfer rate than the PCI bus...

I misread your post. I thought you said firewire has a faster transfer rate than PCI. Nonetheless, whether the FW bus has a faster or slower rate, the data must first pass through the FW bus and then the PCI bus anyway.

I'm not sure where we're going with this, at this point however. I think we were talking about the difference between straight up PCI interfaces and Firewire. :erk: