audix adx51 or rode nt4 (overheads)

avrinder

May 25, 2009
Canada
www.myspace.com
I currently have the Audix Adx51's for overheads. I've been looking at the Rode n4's for a while - has anyone had cool overheads with them? I know they're x/y, so the image isn't as wide. Just wondering if I should bother even renting, to start.

Thanks!

I would rather get a matched pair of mic's than get the nt4. I know it's convenient and all but 2 mics would be much more flexible and a better buy in the long run.

I've used an NT4 a few times for overheads when I'm feeling lazy :) It sounds ok, it can be a little brittle around 5k but nothing EQ can't take care of. I'd stick with the audix's if I were you as they are a great mic! If you really want something different, I'd suggest some NT5's.

If you really want something different, I'd suggest some NT5's.

FWIW, the nt4 and nt5 are the same mic, with the obvious difference that the nt4 is a stereo x-y mic, and the nt5's are not...

FWIW, the nt4 and nt5 are the same mic, with the obvious difference that the nt4 is a stereo x-y mic, and the nt5's are not...

they arent the same

i a/b'd them
and the nt5s sound alot brighter than the nt4s

i used to own them both
sold them and got some oktavas:Smokin:

*shrug*

according to rode, they made the nt4...then decided it was such a nice stereo mic that they would mic a standard cardioid out of it, and the frequency response graphs for each look to be identical...