First quick drum test recording w/ Audix mics (Tama Starclassic)

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
Howdy how,

my drummer got his audix set. 2 D2, 1 D4, 1 D6, 2 adx51 and 1 I5.

The toms are Tama StarClassic.

We're still running 8 tracks drums only. Waiting for cash to get a 8ch preamps.

So its I5 on snare. D2 on tom 1/2, D4 on 3.
D6 on the kick. Rode NT5 for overheads. audix ADX51 on ride.

And that's it :

http://rapidshare.com/files/122875754/test.rar.html
OR
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7p86pc

It is a really fast test. Don't bother the sloppy not warmed up playing.

Now destroy us :

- what do you think about the sound of the room we're in ?
- what do you think about the kick ?
- what do you think about the snare sound and bleed ? (It seems not to be center in the overheads)
- the toms ? (I think they are kind of dulln the heads are evans. emperor could help ??)
- the overheads placement..
- the ride sound. I haven't heard anything about those Audix ADX51, from my ears I like the sound on this ride (it's a Paiste Rude, great cymbal)
- his attack on cymbals and hithat (not too hard ???)
- his attack on snare (not too weak ???)

You can mix it if you like to. I am a total noob for the moment and still learning.

Thanks to anybody that wants to help. In 2 weeks we'd try to demo a full song and record all the drums. We'd try other drumheads too.

Nicolas.

hey thanks for those reactions.

I guess I should raise those overheads stands ?? To have less snare, toms in those ?
Or it is the image of the kit that is wrong ?

Is it still the original kick ?? Sounds ok for a first test. Thanks for your time doing this mix.

We know now that the snare is not meaty enough for us. We'll try different heads and sm57 maybe even a wood snare.

I'd say put an sm57 or a condenser on the bottom of the snare, and play with the tuning of the snare to get if beefy. It won't sound heavy in the mix unless it's heavy live. Try tuning down the bottom head and tuning up the upper one and vice versa, listen to how the attack, tone and sustain changes when you do that, experiment. Look for a sweet spot. When you get a killer sound out of the snare THEN it will sound killer mixed. Also the drummer has to hit the drums a lot harder than that without hitting the cymbals/hihat too hard.

Agreeing with what the guy above me just said, how much i'm trying to beef up the snare, it still sounds a little like my little sister is hitting it.
There's a LOT of drums going on in the overheads, take them up a bit and maybe point the mics a bit more towards the cymbals instead of the snare centre (watch out for phasing tho')

Toms are sounding a bit dull indeed, but this might be solved with tuning and microphone placement. The drummer needs to play a bit more balanced when recording though, the drums itself are sounding a little soft and the cymbals are played too hard, try finding the sweet spots for the drums.

Enough whining from my side, i think the kick sounds very usable :)

Enough whining from my side, i think the kick sounds very usable :)

I thought the kick was good too :headbang:

I think it's a good recording though, or maybe it's the drumset, I'm used to much worse stuff hehe :lol:

Edit: BTW if you only have 8 mics, I would rather put the ride mic on the bottom of the snare or the hihat. Also on that clip the drummer is not playing on the floor tom so if he doesn't play on it that much you can remove that mic as well and tell the drummer not to play on it at all.

My turn! :)

I made a sort of A/B comparison, the 1st is all natural, the second is with Drumagog processing. Both samples have slight parallel comp and a bit verb to let things breathe.

Natural
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=828703&songID=6644532

Processed
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=828703&songID=6644538

I think I prefer the untriggered one, the triggered sounds kind of stiff. Like it's repeating the same sample.

Where is pifos? Have you abandoned the thread, post some more tests we want to hear your progress. This was kinda fun :p

Where is pifos? Have you abandoned the thread, post some more tests we want to hear your progress. This was kinda fun :p

hey you guys. first thank you all for your attention and your time/help :D

That sucks but during the week I am miles away from our rehearsal room where all the gear is.

The next step is next weekend. We will do all of new tests with the feedback from the last "session". We'll try a different head on the snare, a wodden snare, we'll loose the snare "bell" (you know those springs on the bottom", cause its pretty tight now and my drummer think we could loose some texture), i'll raise the overheads and will aim them foward the cymbals. We'll try a 20" kick with a Evans emad (it is said to be very powerful head). We'll remove those evans heads on the toms and put brand new emperor/ambassador, should sound really clearer.

Frankzappa you're right, I'll also put a bottom mic for the snare and no ride for testing. And try a second mic on the kick just on the out of the drumhead hole to get more boom boom.

I am really surprised that the kick is really usuable as a natural. Waiting to hear it in a mix with guitars and all...

As soon as I have new tracks, I'll post our progress !!!!
Its good start for beginners like us !!!

Thanks again.
Nicolas.

I'm not a drummer and this is probably basic drummer stuff but I remember tuning a snare once and I got a killer tone out of it by tuning down the bottom head, tuning up the upper one and then adjusting the tension on the "snares" (dont know what they are called the metal things on the bottom that give the snare it's sound.) I just played around with different tensions and you can really remove that "rockish" sound and make it sound metal by loosening it a bit so that the attack gets "pafff" instead of "puuwaff" if you know what i mean.

Hey!

I'm the drummer from Pifos's band.
First, i wanna thank you all for your help/advices/bashing :D

I tried different things since this first test, so i'm gonna give you two new drum tracks with these changes:

- I put a kind of 'accordion panel' (is that english?) on the left side of my drumkit. The room being quite large, i thought that the sound was all over the place, so with this panel closing the space, i find the overall kit sound more compact : Here is a pic and another

- I used a Starclassic Performer snare (which is birch if i'm not mistaken) on the Test N°2, and the same Peace cooper snare i used for the first mix you got here on the Test N°3. (links below)
- I used some tape to muffle the toms/snare. pic

- I also tried to reach the maximum input gain for each mic but i think i exagereted a little :D:rolleyes:
Tell me if it's not usable i'll delete the links (i'm a drummer so forgive my deafness).

Hmm that's about it. I also tried to hit maybe harder since i was more warmed up for these takes. Asked my little sister to stop screwing around :D

A little bit more information about my setup:

-The snare drum heads are actually an Evans G1 & Evans resonant snare 300 on the bottom. That's for the Starclassic snare.
The cooper snare got Remo CS & resonant snare on bottom.
-The toms are Evans G2's and G1's on bottom.
-The kick got an Aquarian Super Kick II with the Evans pad things you can see on the kick pic below.
-I'm using a rubber beater on my double pedal (which is a Tama iron cobra). I got 3 other beaters when i bought the pedals so i was wondering if any of these is known to get more attack or whatever?
-Now, cymbals: I got a Paiste rude power ride 20", Zildjian Avedis rock crash 18", Meinl Powerful crash 17", Sabian AAX splash 10", Sabian AAX 14" hats and my favourite, the Zildjian Oriental 16" china trash.
I also got a 18" Zildjian Avedis Custom crash that i don't use so i'm wondering if it's any better? It's a lot thinner than my 2 other crashes so i'm not convinced but i'll put it in my next drum track.

Here are some random pics of the kit for the mic placement or anything you would suggest: Whole kit Floor tom Snare/rack toms Bass drum

Here are the links for the drum tracks:

Test N°2 rapidshare / megaupload (Starclassic Performer snare)

Test N°3 (Peace cooper snare tuned a little lower on the upper head (thanks Frankzappa))

AND a little bonus, i tried my hand at the Chris Adler's fill from The Faded Line by Lamb of God. It's a part of the Test N°3 (same take).
Test N°3 The Faded Line fill