circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
August Burns Red – Thrill Seeker
Solid State Records – TND33465 – November 8th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

page012191.jpg

I know that August Burns Red isn’t the best moniker ever coined. I noticed that the cover art is undeniably similar to that of The Dillinger Escape Plan’s Miss Machine. I’m also aware that this is chaoscore with smidgens of METALcore sprinkled in for taste. And I did happen to notice that Thrill Seeker was put out by Solid State Records, which means these guys will have to compete with the rising sensations known collectively as Becoming the Archetype. I’m here to tell you, though, that this is the best thing to happen to the label in a long time as this tenacious outfit plays circles around most of Solid State’s roster.

While Thrill Seeker opts for chaotic passages more than the average bear, they’ve managed to inject metal back into metalcore. Truthfully, this is perhaps the most convincing blend of styles I’ve ever heard, as far as chaos, metal, and hardcore are concerned. It may seem to be oxymoronic when the following statement is coupled with the former but: the musical façade isn’t seamless, and though there are approximately three different styles fighting for the spotlight at all times, they each get to occupy it for brief segments and then angrily trudge into the background until a new slot opens up. Any of these compositions are worth a look if one is wanting to gather precisely what August Burns Red sounds like, and each proves to be rewarding in its own special way. I’m cognizant of the fact that Becoming the Archetype have delivered a laudable metal album – I disagree to a certain extent – but Thrill Seeker is the record that too many bands have tried to make and failed in doing so. But that’s definitely not the case with these guys.

I have to restrain myself from declaring this debut “the album that Dillinger wanted to make,” but I guess I just screwed myself over. At any rate, it seems as if Solid State Records is abandoning stagnation in favor of signing fresh, innovative artists. It’s been a fairly strong year for the aforementioned, and As Cities Burn, Becoming the Archetype, and now August Burns Red are leading the way admirably. Check this out, or die!

9/10

Official August Burns Red Website
Official Solid State Records Website

i just heard of this bad a few months ago, and man are these guys good. far too many bands could only dream of acheiveing the sound that august burns red produces. they have a flowing sound that doesnt come normally in metalcore bands nowadays. there new cd is amazing and sounds perfect!! the vocals , or rather screaming is amazing and doesnt sound like crap *cough alexisonfire*these guys should be able to make it big!! good luck abr!