Aussie Band's EP, Need advice.

man I realy liked it :D
sounds super !

tho i would incrase a tiny bit the drums and mybe eq a bit more the growling vocals
but for a mix , its not too loud? check if its not peaking :)

I'd say lower the cymbals they get really annoying and make the mix sound very low quality even though its not.

Also because theyre very washy sounding it higlights the softer hits almost like they arent there and sometimes sounds like he hits 3 out of 4 hits on the cymbal because you can't hear the attack of the hit.

I'd say lower the cymbals they get really annoying and make the mix sound very low quality even though its not.

Also because theyre very washy sounding it higlights the softer hits almost like they arent there and sometimes sounds like he hits 3 out of 4 hits on the cymbal because you can't hear the attack of the hit.

i was thinking the SAME thing about the cymbals. Their guitarist requested that the cymbals be around this level, but ill probably lower them. or work on the hihat. because IMO the majority of the problems are coming from the hats .

Sounds solid man! I agree with the cymbals comment, just drop em a tad and it will sound amazing. The tracks cool as well, who's the band?

ahaha holy shit. i checked out this band the other day cause they heard my cd and posted on myspace. tbh the old recordings were so bad that i actually felt like the band might be bad. not bad now that i can actually hear whats going on.

info on guitars,mics and vocals? something so very odd about them? if your only mixing and this is how they sent you it thats fine, otherwise distortion on vocals?

also much better level on the oh's is there any compresson on them ? just maybe try to even out those miss hits or whatever they are that are dropping out. I can still hear them but not as much,dont know how I'd go on headphones though. seems like the right crash?

hi hats might be a touch loud aswell. basically they sound like they have no body hence why I'd want them lower in the mix.again.. its just an opinion.

ahaha holy shit. i checked out this band the other day cause they heard my cd and posted on myspace. tbh the old recordings were so bad that i actually felt like the band might be bad. not bad now that i can actually hear whats going on.

info on guitars,mics and vocals? something so very odd about them? if your only mixing and this is how they sent you it thats fine, otherwise distortion on vocals?

also much better level on the oh's is there any compresson on them ? just maybe try to even out those miss hits or whatever they are that are dropping out. I can still hear them but not as much,dont know how I'd go on headphones though. seems like the right crash?

hi hats might be a touch loud aswell. basically they sound like they have no body hence why I'd want them lower in the mix.again.. its just an opinion.

The band recorded the vocals through a shitty mic.
Adding lots of extra noise and a great deal of distortion on the highs. which imo is why they come out sounding so harsh.
Guitars were DI's they recorded through a M-Audio fasttrack, same goes for bass.
Guitars were amped with 6505 and ran through Spreshigh impulse.
Bass was ampeg for mids, and just a forcing ass limiter on the low end.
Vocals themselves were double tracked. And I did a good 2 hours+ editing on them to make sure they're reasonably in timing with each other (and the layers).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1317792/TabitTradeoffwithandrew/50 Knives_mixdownvocalchanges.mp3

I made some more changes here. Even out the levels of vocals throughout, added some automation on the snare, ect...
I added a bit of master on that one, aswell. Added some shine, and compressed the HIGHHIGH end down a good deal. (10k+) Did that to try to even out the hihat's leftovers and the vocals extra noise/distortion from being annoying in the mix itself.

Overall, is it sounding about finished? :3

need to bring up the lowend a lot, that'll smooth out the highs in the end as well.

really man?

In my opinion the low end feels pretty loud.
Personally, I'd love to raise it a lot.
But for this mix, the low end starts to overpower the guitars.
but ill look into it and see if it helps with the highs, thanks for your input man

Also, now that i realize it, the most recent mix i posted, the lows are very.... low.
Thanks man.

2 things,

1: I just realized you're from the Brisbane area. No wonder you've heard of them, that's where they're from.

2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1317792/TabitTradeoffwithandrew/50 Knives_final.mp3

Definitely needs more low-end. I'd recommend taking a look at the 2 to 3k area on the guitars as well, they seem really strong here, but not much meat any lower. What you'll find with this is that the guitars sound scratchy, cloud the vocals and drum attacks, but don't feel fat. As soon as their spectrum is cleaned up a bit, you'll be able to have a mix that sounds less pushed and fatiguing because everything will breathe easier.

Definitely needs more low-end. I'd recommend taking a look at the 2 to 3k area on the guitars as well, they seem really strong here, but not much meat any lower. What you'll find with this is that the guitars sound scratchy, cloud the vocals and drum attacks, but don't feel fat. As soon as their spectrum is cleaned up a bit, you'll be able to have a mix that sounds less pushed and fatiguing because everything will breathe easier.

My problem with the low end is that when i turn it up, it sounds great on my comp speakers, but on monitors, the low end seems to overpower. but ill go halfway and see how it sounds.

I believe it is finished(increased low end):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1317792/TabitTradeoffwithandrew/50 Knives_final.mp3