Adding Bawlz to guitars?

I don't hear ANY bass guitar in that example. could use much more.

I like Sonnox Inflator for guitars. A transient shaper like the free SPL Attacker before the amp sim can really help sometimes.

where do you place the inflator in your chain? on each track, or the bus?

Im am going to either translate or correct some of what is typically said among the gutiars/bass relationship. Yes bass is responsible for the thickness and heaviness of the guitars, but the way it is explained is that you can highpass guitars at like 200+ and just use the bass for everything below 200. There is no reason to not get the guitars as thick and bassy as possible but still keep it natural, then use the bass to add the rest of the desired thickness, and to that degree, try to get the bass sounding as big as possible. The problem with sims and or highpass real guitars is that the bass is separated from the guitars, which in metal is really not desired when you are trying to get the wall of sound. I always find as I said in a previous post to go after the tape saturation to add more weight to the guitars, without actually adding bass, the other thing is to find a impulse that is more resonance in the lower mids. I will add that in terms of impulses, the impulse that isn't talked about very much but IMO is the best out there period is Guitarhack's "Edge Sneap" in the "Louder JJ Powertube Full Set Straight" folder, it has a very balanced response (not sharp resonant peaks that give the tone a single note pitch no matter what you play), is brought in a good way and has a good amount of crunch. When paired with a good tape saturation you have some pretty thick tones.

With the bass try to get a chain that matches the tone of the guitars, and what really helps to add weight, instead of tape, use a limiter (I really like L2 for this). Still if you are using just impulses, you can still hear a separation between the bass and guitars, but if you also mix the kick in correctly with the guitars and bass it will help more as I have found the sledgehammer to the chest effect from the guitars does not come from the guitars or bass, rather how tightly blended and eq'd the kick is to the guitar.

Bass adds warmth and weight to guitars, the kick adds the slam to the chest and aggressiveness.

Don´t use Kefir, use Lepou or SIR2 for better sounding. Don't use REAEQ if you use reaper it makes the sound muddy. Use another good vst eq.

Don´t use Kefir, use Lepou or SIR2 for better sounding. Don't use REAEQ if you use reaper it makes the sound muddy. Use another good vst eq.

:lol:

You're doing it wrong.

Kefir sounds just as it should (though I prefer using LeCab myself), and ReaEQ is an amazing plugin.

KeFir doesn't sound worse then Boogex for an instance, or you are hearing something i cannot (i still prefer Boogex to be honoust, because it's easier to browse through impulses)

I'm not sure if it's the reason, but the guitar and pickup's always have an huge influence on the overall sound. You haven't mentioned what types you used. It's certainly not in the playing

I think you need to back-off on the gain, it is sounding overgained to my ears which causes it to lack some definition (which in some tube-amplifier case's can sound really great, Heartwork from Carcass has one of the horniest guitar sounds i've heard)

What i try to do is try to find a sweet spot between the amp's gain and the booster (you should check out Mokafix' s Cream Tube instead of TSS, it's one of the best imo), what i mostly do is i set the guitartone without the OD in the first place. When i found a level which i think has the best character but not slightly enough gain, that's where i dial in the OD (it's best to dial this into a part which has lots of palmmutes) you don't have to use a lot of gain persee.

As far as the bass is concerned, you might have mixed in some grind but i'm not hearing it. Try to level the 'grinding' channel a little lower then the 'bass' channel, send them to a buss and smash the living crap out of the bass. And i still love PSP Vintagewarmer on the bass channel.

I do hope i explained this somewhat clear for you, and i certainly hope it helps you

KeFir doesn't sound worse then Boogex for an instance, or you are hearing something i cannot (i still prefer Boogex to be honoust, because it's easier to browse through impulses)

I'm not sure if it's the reason, but the guitar and pickup's always have an huge influence on the overall sound. You haven't mentioned what types you used. It's certainly not in the playing

I think you need to back-off on the gain, it is sounding overgained to my ears which causes it to lack some definition (which in some tube-amplifier case's can sound really great, Heartwork from Carcass has one of the horniest guitar sounds i've heard)

What i try to do is try to find a sweet spot between the amp's gain and the booster (you should check out Mokafix' s Cream Tube instead of TSS, it's one of the best imo), what i mostly do is i set the guitartone without the OD in the first place. When i found a level which i think has the best character but not slightly enough gain, that's where i dial in the OD (it's best to dial this into a part which has lots of palmmutes) you don't have to use a lot of gain persee.

As far as the bass is concerned, you might have mixed in some grind but i'm not hearing it. Try to level the 'grinding' channel a little lower then the 'bass' channel, send them to a buss and smash the living crap out of the bass. And i still love PSP Vintagewarmer on the bass channel.

I do hope i explained this somewhat clear for you, and i certainly hope it helps you

I re-did the mix. I'm just having trouble with the gain on the amp.
Even when the gain is on about .8, it's too high, but if I go ANY lower, it's too low.

I really think a lot of the grainyness is coming from his method of picking.

As for the bass tone, I completely reconsidered the way I was doing it, and made the sludge track a good deal louder. But I also made it so it blends at the same time.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1317792/TabitTradeoffwithandrew/New Folder/FourtyFour_Post-Mixdown2.mp3

to robbie : i think eq will fix this. use a parametric with a q of about 0.2 or 0.3 and add around 2db at 1.5k as a starting point. then sweep the centre from 800 to around 3k odd and see where you like it. shazam. bawlz.

I know you're asking about guitars, but the snare needs some high end IMO. Mix sounds better overall though, good job.

Boost at around 8k, I'm guessing?
Yeah, I didn't EQ the snare too much :eek:

to robbie : i think eq will fix this. use a parametric with a q of about 0.2 or 0.3 and add around 2db at 1.5k as a starting point. then sweep the centre from 800 to around 3k odd and see where you like it. shazam. bawlz.

Ill give this a shot. If the outcome is good ill come back with the results.

Shallow: it was stated before in the forum about Kefir. You must use it with more than 13% length or you get a little fizz that some ears can hear. I used it for a long time. And ended up using Lecab and SIR2. To me SIR2 sounds better but can't mix 2 impulses like Lecab. I used REAeq for a long time. Just in my chain for example, using it for hp and lp makes the whole sound muddier. I'm now using The Brainworx free stuff for hp and lp and its great.

Shallow: it was stated before in the forum about Kefir. You must use it with more than 13% length or you get a little fizz that some ears can hear.

Interesting. I did a quick forum search but came up empty - any chance you know which thread this was in?

Something like that would explain how extreme I sometimes have to get with my low-passes, though it obviously varies from impulse to impulse.