Australia, here I come!

If you end up coming to Perth I'll be glad to show you around... we have a pretty good local metal scene in Perth.

By the way, The Haunted are playing in Sydney a few days after you arrive so if you like them then maybe you can go along to that.

And just to clarify spawn's rather vague comment about the Australian metal scene being made of primarily of black and death metal bands, here's a list of a few of our local bands that aren't of that persuasion:

Dungeon :headbang: Best live band in Australia!
Anarion
Dark Order
Tripwire
Descend
Apolyom
Tyburnjig
Black Steel
Scourge
Temtris
Crimson Fire

There's a bunch more... it's all good. Don't forget to post when you get here and JBJ and I will take you out and introduce you to Australian beer!

:)

Utopia isnt expensive... Its 30 dollars for nearly all the albums, which is about standard, if you want the import from Japan with the bonus track or whatever its more expensive, but generally its no worse than any other cd store!

Actually spawny, the regular priced CDs are the ones they get from local distributors, but Utopia is primarily an IMPORT store, and in that regard a great percentage of their stock is at import prices, so you're paying through the nose, especially for their ridiculously priced vinyl. Even the second hand vinyl there is exorbitant, and most of it isn't near as "collectible" as they tell you. A friend of mine bought a "collectible" Kiss box set there for $250 with the claim that it was the only one left; within an hour they had another one on display. Their t-shirt prices are insane. My advice to anyone who's *in Sydney* is that a lot of stuff from bands that are signed to labels like Earache, Metal Blade, Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Spinefarm or any of the other better known labels are just as easily obtained from somewhere like the HMV store in Pitt St. mall as they have nationwide distribution through Shock, Riot or MGM so many of the larger chains do have them, as does Red Eye Records in King Street, who've just expanded their metal section and as a rule are cheaper than Utopia.

I buy all my cds from there and 95% of it is 30 dollars or less, the vinyl I havent ever checked except for the ones I bought just because I want the cover art, so I dont know about that, but the cds are priced the same as any other cd store except for the limited edition ones, or some of the imports.

Tshirt prices are ridiculous, I agree, but for just the cds, I dont think its any worse than anywhere else.

Utopia sounds crap.

Metal Mayhem sell their imports for $29.50 and local releases a little cheaper. And Radical Records sell NEW still-sealed vinyl for $8-20 and have loads of 2nd hand vinyl for around $2-8... the most expensive are about $10. Dixons stores sell 2nd hand vinyl for about $4-8 usually too.

I got Ratt's Reach For The Sky on vinyl brand new for $8 from Radical, they also have heaps of Ozzy, Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Kiss, Motley Crue, other Ratt, Maiden etc for that price and new Metallica vinyls for $20. The only expensive records there are the picture discs.

Another thing about Utopia is that they obviously factor their enormous expenses into their prices. They have more staff than customers there sometimes and the new store is on the basement level of the largest cinema complex in Australia in the centre of the entertainment strip in Sydney. The rent alone there must be astronomical.

I do not care that much about the prices. I will only buy new releases of bands that I really are a fan off. If I buy more, my backpack will get to full!

Maybe I will go to Melbourn around the time that Helloween releases their album and then from there on I can go to Tasmania.

If your wanting to stay at backpackers the best and cheapest is at one I have stayed at in Newtown. Abbey on King 379 King st,$100 for a week and it is really clean. The staff are friendly. It is pretty central to all you need here. Public transport pretty much at your door.

Dungeon were great at the QUT Guild Bar - so great was their rocking that the house lights went on and off at one point near the end of their set!! :headbang:

Yeah you've gotta go to Tassie, Rene. It's a beautiful state. If you go on the boat it's $105 each way, which isn't too bad.

.....and Metal Mayhem shits on Utopia. :)