Automating EQ

LBTM

Proud Behringer User
Feb 19, 2012
So in the latest EP I mixed the guitars in some parts were sounding louder and harsher than needed. I tried some volume automation but that didn't do the trick, so I though EQ automation! So I used BootEQ mkII to cut some of the harsh 2-4k mids in these parts and that really did the trick. So what's your expiriences with eq automation?

isn't that's what multi-band compressors are for?

not really. i needed to reduce mid-highs only in a few parts in the song and there wasn't any reason for multi-band compression. it might be useful sometimes to even a range in the mix but it's totally different.

^^Same, only for effect. I need to seriously make it a point to add automation into every mix I do (I mainly do my own demo material at home, to show the band).

I tend to get intimidated just by the thought of having to automate all sorts of stuff, but then once I dive in, it's not so bad. Just rarely have the time for it since I'm programming drums, tracking guitars/bass all in the same day usually.

Often use this trick with vocals parts 'cos it is rather variable type of signal then static like distorted guitar. Therefore this trick is more natural in the vocal sphere

the worst thing is sometimes after spending hours on automation it turns out it sounds like shit and you have to start over again... arghhhh

Whichever needs it, could be anything really.

by the way, if you don't mind me asking, how do you start with volume automations in a mix? do you say something like "bass will always stay on that level" and base everything else around it or something like "i'll mix that part of the song and then use automations to fix the levels in the other parts that need it"?

I try to find a good overall balance and then mix part after part: the right balance for your chorus might not be the same as the one for your verses, and within the same part some things might need adjustments (for instance a guitar lick here or there, or a cool bass line), it all depends on where you want to put the focus mostly.

Automating eq on vocals are common? for dessing?

Vocal is so variable even in the same phrase . For example, some words may go smoothly in the mix and others have guttural sounding like from the ass and make them louder - will not help. Here you need something else tricks like tweaking EQ for this part

Ok I get it. Automation is one of the most useful tools ever in audio, but every time I think I may need to automate something I almost lost the will to mix. Because automating shit takes a lot of time, and there are people that automate to the hell and back, all the sections of all shit.

Well if you want something dynamic this is the way to go, I guess.