Automating EQ

Is there any add-on for faster automation in Reaper? It always takes so much time...

Automating eq on vocals are common? for dessing?

for de-essing, as i don't have bought any good plugin i cut the ESS tails on the grid and manually apply EQ to fix them.

but every time I think I may need to automate something I almost lost the will to mix. Because automating shit takes a lot of time, and there are people that automate to the hell and back, all the sections of all shit.

I agree. Automate its time-consuming thing, and will lead to huge conglomeration. Therefore I use another method - dividing project for 8-10 parts and save as separate projects of one song. So from now opening one of the parts you can modify the project under its needs, drastically, without fear of damaging settings for other song parts. Then rendering and picking up parts in the next project

Also exporting the final mix in wav stems and then starting adding automation in a different project file works.

This stem is has a few good examples of automating EQ in it, at 20 seconds in you can hear the "they taped over your mouth" bit has the presence region ducked before automating out again for the second part of the phrase (slight saturation as well). This is only the basic vocal stem and there's a more layered one kicking about as well but its a good example of EQ automation in action and if you listen to it in context it really works for that particular phrase.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to find a good overall balance and then mix part after part: the right balance for your chorus might not be the same as the one for your verses, and within the same part some things might need adjustments (for instance a guitar lick here or there, or a cool bass line), it all depends on where you want to put the focus mostly.

Gold.
one might even say that on a well arranged song there will be a different dominant instrument for almost every section.

one might also add that you should be careful not to make to obvious changes as it will sound very unnatural (unless that's what you're going for).
automation, after all, is an unnatural process.

how is automation an unnatural process?

Its the equivalent of turning a knob while a mix is bouncing or riding a fader. Only difference is that you are programming it to make those adjustments when they need to happen

I would say its quite natural

but then again, automation is dick easy in Pro Tools

natural would be only adjusting the volumes while mixing and nothing else but it's subjective. as for how much db to automate it's up to you. use your ears. some times something like 0.5 to 1 will work, sometimes you'll need 3-4. don't look at how much you cut but listen and determine.

I also use automation all the time, on pretty much anything. I admit I don't enjoy doing it in Reaper, but just because I don't enjoy doing something doesn't mean I'm going to compromise my mix for it. I think automation can make the difference between a good mix and a fantastic mix.

When dealing with automation, I try to imagine a mix like a play on a stage. As the story progresses, characters and backgrounds move or change. The lead character for the verse might take a step forward and everyone in the background sings in a unison choir. There may be a widening of the curtains, revealing parts of the landscape you couldn't see before. Spotlights move all over the place. Etc. All of that is what makes the play exciting to see.
Sure, the actors can be great and the story can be awesome, but if everyone stays in one spot, that really is a missed opportunity!

But I also agree with others in this thread that it should not be too obvious. To stay with the previous analogy, if you constantly notice the guy changing the spotlights during the show, there is probably something wrong.

I've always thought automating in Reaper was easy as hell. hit "env" on the track fader and go to town.

^ Oh it's easy. For some reason I just don't like the whole scrolling through timelines and tracks and drawing the lines with my mouse and all that stuff. I should probably just get some tool to make that a bit more natural-feeling at some point.

Yea, I've been looking at all sorts of controllers for a while now. I think it will be a big quality of life improvement for sure. If I'm going to lay down money on one though, I want it to be something I won't outgrow in a year, so I should probably save up for something decent :) Until then, I just have to suck it up and click my way to sonic bliss.

Starting to get really into automating everything and now I want a control surface to make it faster/more organic. I get a static mix and then automate the sections, then the transitions, then the fx and any weird one off things.

You can do it with a midi controller.

Yeah, also....
I dont know about Reaper specifically, or other daws for that matter, but I use LOGIC, and there's a really helpful group of settings within the automation controls.

READ
TOUCH
LATCH
WRITE

These settings allow how the automation is controlled / reacts.
The one most applicable to your question is the TOUCH option. What it allows you to do is adjust whatever parameter your changing WHILE the song plays. (for example if your sweeping the high freq's of a vocal track but only in a certain part, and then want the eq to go back to normal.)

you let the song play... then using your mouse (similarly to a midi controller, or an actual analog mixer knob, fader etc) you control the parameter (cutting the frequencies in this case) and then as soon as your done, just let go of the mouse click and the setting will go back to where you started.

This is AWESOME, and completely cuts out the whole "Drawing lines and dots and a bunch of gay time consuming shit" that comes with automation.

Similarly, the LATCH feature does the same thing, but instead of going back to the initial starting point of the parameter adjusted, is stays where it is.

the WRITE feature lets you completely do it from scratch...

and finally, after all your adjustments are completed, be sure to switch it back to the READ setting, as it will simply interpret and implement your new automations.

haha sorry for the huge schpeal... especially if you arent using logic and now you have no use for this... but check within your DAW to see if you have a similar feature. it will save you loads of time, and its tons of fun!

I was able to control and automate a plug-in based wah pedal using a slider for one guitarists solo take. hahah it was fun!