Automation in Sonar question

rickfugue

May 26, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I apologize if this is addressed somewhere else here. Searched but did not find exactly what I was looking for. Probably a really noob question too, which I also apologize for. Anyone that uses Sonar know how I can use volume automation in tandem with the Audio Snap tool? What I mean is I need to know if there is a faster way to automate volume on a track than what I am currently doing. What would be ideal, in my mind, is to show the transients via said tool. Then find the problem tranisent and automate accordingly. Basically skipping through transients rather than having to play them all back and watch. To present I basically have had to watch the db meter in playback for a whack transient as it is playing and then automate it as I see it. Takes forever. Is there a more efficient way to do this? I have seen many tutorials on how to automate but none of them really deal specifically with this genre. How do you guys go about automating your tranisents?

just use transient shaper plugin for this...
alternatively you can use "add nodes at transient markers" under automation editing tools and shape your envelope up to your needs.

I don't understand... Why do you need to automate inidividual transients?

I have to admit - this ^^^ was my first reaction. If all you are looking to do is automate volume then automate volume - if you are looking to tame transients have you tried TS64?

I guess I'm somewhat confused by what you are actually trying to accomplish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry If I was not clear enough and thanks for all of the replies. I figured out the add nodes to transients last night. Very cool. Before I had to visually and manually add nodes. Pain in the ass. That was really my main objective was to figure that out. However taming the tranisients is the primary thing I am after with the automation, Particularly Snare hits and Blasts. I am sure when I get to editing the Bass it will be an issue there too. I have to admit I am a little intimidated by the Transient Shaper. I have seen a couple of vids before and while I get and hear the usefullness I am unsure of my ability at the moment to make it work for me without messing some stuff up. No better way to figure it out than to dive head first into it though. Thanks again.